INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AirPlay is WORKING!!!!!  (Read 24425 times)

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
AirPlay is WORKING!!!!!
« on: February 22, 2013, 03:48:17 pm »

How awesome!

I setup a second zone and was surprised when I started hearing music coming out of my speakers, not through my headphones... guess what, AirPlay was working.  

Don't quite know how I have it setup, but this is very very cool.  I'm looking forward to setting this up at home to manage my different zones.  I look forward to this feature evolving.

Pale Rider

• Recent member
Re: AirPlay is WORKING!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:27:41 pm »

How awesome!

I setup a second zone and was surprised when I started hearing music coming out of my speakers, not through my headphones... guess what, AirPlay was working.  

Don't quite know how I have it setup, but this is very very cool.  I'm looking forward to setting this up at home to manage my different zones.  I look forward to this feature evolving.

Now that's pretty slick. How you have it set up would be interesting.
Mac mini | PS Audio PWD MKII | BDP-105 |Decware Ultra Preamp | Decware Torii MK3 Amps | Decware ERR sextet | Taboo & Liquid Fire Headphone Amps |Audez\'e LCD-2 & JH13 Pro

kiwi

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:19:30 pm »

I've very excited to see how this develops.  It could make for a super cool whole house audio system, particularly if the JRemote remote control apps work well.

PDP8User

• Recent member
  • I may be old but I don't remember being senile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 03:19:57 pm »

Airplay works for me, using Output mode: Core Audio and then choose Airplay from Output mode settings options.

MC Mac 18.0.141 under Mac OSX 10.8.2 on a mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13", playing through Airport Express (current model) on 802.11n (5GHz)

Brian
Brian

pkoss

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 04:40:27 pm »

It still gets a little confusing if you have multiple Airplay endpoints.  For me I have two AppleTV's on the network to which I push music.  I can't find within JR the method to select a specific device.  I go to the Sound system preference dialog and touch the one I want and that seems to do the trick.

I also found the Zones function within JR very helpful as I have set up different Zones for my office (optical, and with a few parametric adds), optical (pure for the sound system), and AirPlay (with Airplay selected as output).  BTW, you can have multiple output players active concurrently to push music to (at least) two different endpoints.

kiwi

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 05:11:00 pm »

It still gets a little confusing if you have multiple Airplay endpoints.  For me I have two AppleTV's on the network to which I push music.  I can't find within JR the method to select a specific device.  I go to the Sound system preference dialog and touch the one I want and that seems to do the trick.

I also found the Zones function within JR very helpful as I have set up different Zones for my office (optical, and with a few parametric adds), optical (pure for the sound system), and AirPlay (with Airplay selected as output).  BTW, you can have multiple output players active concurrently to push music to (at least) two different endpoints.

Good to know on picking the end point, somehow it managed to always pick the right end point, so I was happy.  Guess I'd probably used iTunes to play via airplay at the different locations.

Looking forward to seeing this feature improve even more.

Novanta

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 02:41:21 pm »

Airplay doesnt show on my 2010 imac osx 10.7.5. Also when playing locally through my Motu traveler connected via firewire mc18 reported it couldn't digest 44.1khz 64bit 2ch...

I suppose these'll get solved soon but i couldn't wait and purchased a 25 dollar airfoil licence and broke the itunes chaines resulting in a big smile on my face browsing through my library and actually finding the tunes i want to play and not what some genius thinks i should buy!

Can't wait for jremote.

A big thank you from Brussels

rblnr

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:39:16 am »

Airplay doesn't work for me on 10.8 w/a Core Duo iMac.  I'm trying to connect to an ethernet-wired Airport Express.  Works with Airfoil, BUT, I get brief dropouts every 15 - 20 secs.  Airplay does work with iTunes for me.  

Update:  tried configuring the Airport Express for wireless to see if that made a difference, still no go.

Update 2:  checked off memory playback and updated the buffer to :20 secs, still get dropouts via Airfoil.

kiwi

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 10:14:02 am »

Interesting, AP is still working for me, 10.8.2

rblnr

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 10:18:18 am »

What is your AP destination?  An Airport or a direct playback device like an Airplay enabled boom box?

Wired or wireless connection?

Tried playback via Airfoil to the local computer speakers, no prob. btw.

rblnr

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 10:34:19 am »

Got it.  System volume was down the System Preferences settings.  This setting doesn't affect playback on locally attached speakers via JRiver nor on Airplay via iTunes -- iTunes apparently bypasses whatever this is set to, as does Airfoil.  Volume control is entirely in the program for these options.

Dropouts via Airfoil is another issue obviously.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 10:44:09 am »

Dropouts via Airfoil is another issue obviously.
Could it be the bandwidth required?  A WAV file would take more bandwith than a FLAC file.  A FLAC would require more than an MP3.  Etc.

rblnr

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 10:52:23 am »

Could it be the bandwidth required?  A WAV file would take more bandwith than a FLAC file.  A FLAC would require more than an MP3.  Etc.

Don't think it's bandwidth.  Have run ALAC and FLAC vis Airfoil before with no problems, and the files I'm getting dropouts on via JRiver are ALAC (haven't tried FLAC).  I'll experiment a bit later on to see if I can isolate the issue a some more.

pkoss

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 11:55:18 am »

Note that Airplay is very sensitive to the throughput and network queueing.  Once a connection is established with an endpoint (in my case AppleTV) the data transfer is via UDP.  I find that from my MacBook Pro through a very robust home network (wireless N 450bps verified, and gigabit wired to AppleTV switch) I can easily cause Airplay dropouts with the slightest browsing (or Time Machine, etc. causing any other material amounts of network traffic) on my MBP while it is playing music, regardless of whether I'm using iTunes, MC18 or any other music software.  FWIW, all my music is on a Synology NAS, so everything must be picked up off the network before being sent back out via Airplay.

That said, I love the convenience of Airplay.  But for quality I plug in the optical to the MBP.

kiwi

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 08:52:49 am »

Interesting, I've almost never had a problem with AirPlay dropping out on me... either from wired or wireless.

I'm pretty sure that AirPlay has close to a fixed bandwidth need, as everything is a 44 or 48kHz ALAC stream, regardless of whether it's a FLAC, WAV or 64kbps MP3.

rblnr

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 09:05:22 am »

So I open my computer today and Airplay is not working.  Works fine through iTunes.

Opening JRiver seems to force the selection of the optical digital out port in my sys prefs.  Trying to switch to airplay there doesn't work -- the pop up box asking for authentication doesn't accept my airport express password.   Will try to figure what's up, but a few attempts at solves have failed thusfar.

Update:  I think the issue is that if a CD is in my drive, this somehow locks you out of Airplay in JRiver.  Ejecting solved the problem.

Zanth

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 05:14:00 pm »

When i control my library with JRemote app on my iPad, is Media Centre streaming to my iPad and then to my Apple TV?  Or, when my ATV is selected within JRemote, does the stream from the computer go directly to ATV?

Edit: after getting some input from another thread, I used the "play" setting to select my server and not the iPad.  So long as my ATV is selected as the audio output, I get lovely non-iPad dependent music through my main system a floor above.  I'm ecstatic about this!

Pages: [1]   Go Up