INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback stuttering  (Read 10948 times)

timewart

• Recent member
Playback stuttering
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:29:58 am »

Mountain Lion latest update
Latest MC version for Mac
DacMagic Plus (Cambridge Audio)

Above DAC works just fine with windows version. However, on mac, play is OK for a few minutes and then I get stuttering - a very rapid set of micro gaps which makes the playback sound as though it is being constantly interrupted. This also happens with my portable FIIO 17 dac.

All in all, certainly alpha and not usable in any way at the moment.

Majik

Re: Playback stuttering
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 03:53:38 pm »

I had the same issue with the 139 release but got it working with a reboot of everything (MiniMac, ADL GT40 USB DAC). Now I have the same problem with the latest release (#141) and the re-boot doesn't clear it. Sounds like it'll be hit n' miss for a little while.

JHR

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:45:52 pm »

I had this problem with the earlier 139 build as well.

I switched the options to "play from memory" and the stuttering vanished.

Didn't have the problem in 141; haven't checked the latest build yet.

Will be interested to try the SACD ISO streaming :)

InfernoSTi

• Recent member
  • Hawthorne Audio Reference Speakers
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 06:11:50 pm »

I'm getting stuttering/momentary pausing mid-song with build 142 (Mac Mini, 10.6.8, 4GB RAM, SSD Boot Drive).  I've tried the normal things (check memory play, try greater/lesser buffering times).  Other than that, playback sounds good (and playing back SACD iso files is nice).

John

toddc2

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 01:22:46 pm »

I see this stuttering on 142 as well. It was working for me on 141. I posted on the release thread as "audio glitch"

I always use memory playback mode so I don't think it is following that setting.

MBP (mid 2012) 10.7.5 into a W4S DAC2

Todd

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 01:29:31 pm »

Did you try unchecking the memory playback option?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 05:19:22 pm »

Did you try unchecking the memory playback option?

Yeah, Jim.  The OP only enabled that after he had problems initially.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

InfernoSTi

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 10:38:19 pm »

Ha!  That works for me...I never "unchecked" the box and each build just kept my settings (for the most part...).  No stutters yet....

John

EDIT: I still get a few hiccups on high resolution files...nothing on standard Redbook files.  Hmm....

timewart

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 11:51:22 am »

Thanks for the advice from everybody - very quick to respond, you lot! I am suitably impressed.

I will switch off play from memory, which I have on. My main player is Audirvana+, but it has a rubbish interface (hate linking it to iTunes as I loath it with a passion).

I absolutely love MC on my windows desktop - nothing but praise for it.

I will report back on the outcome of switching off memory play.

Again - many thanks for the responses.

InfernoSTi

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 11:20:23 pm »

I think the stuttering is related to a broken "get cover art" loop the program gets into. The stuttering just happened in the worst kind of way (after hours of very stable play that I had earlier posted the 143 build was the most stable version).  When I went to quit, I couldn't because the program was seeking "get cover art" and I couldn't make it stop doing that.  I think it is overloading the system in some way, perhaps....

John

timewart

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 10:28:37 am »

Update on progress:

Installed latest alpha of MC18 this am.

All seems well with memory play switched off - played several hours of music (I work from home), all FLAC 16 bit, with no stuttering.

Rebooted a few moments ago and, disappointingly, stutter came back. Switched memory play on and off, stuttering went.

However, MC18 seems to have a memory leak - 1mb about every 20 seconds on my system. May well be related to cover art cataloging as I did add about 15 albums to the hard drive today.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 10:50:14 am »

It isn't a memory leak.  The program uses memory when it's doing things like cover art lookup and thumbnailing.

timewart

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 06:34:10 am »

Thanks for the info on memory usage.

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 06:36:04 pm »

I too am experiencing a brief pause at random intervals.

Play from memory is switched ON

It has been doing this even before I activated 'look for cover art' and has continued over multiple re-boots.
Sound quality is great.
Still learning how to 'operate' the s/w

The screen will 'go away' after activating certain pull down menu options, seemingly at random.  I'm still not sure what is needed (or what I'm doing) to bring it back.

It also seems like double clicking is required to activate various selections.

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 06:38:40 pm »

Are you using 18.0.146?

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 06:51:06 pm »

I just downloaded that version and it just paused/stuttered.
EDIT: Although the frequency of these pauses/stutterings has diminished. :thumb

And the screen still 'goes away' and I'm still not sure what makes it come back yet.

Thanks  JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

erviv

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 07:13:05 pm »

I have not noticed any stuttering issues.  I am using SL, on my MBP.
MacBook Pro i5 2.3Ghz 8 GB (early 2011) 1Tb SSD; 3 Raspberry pi’s 4 and 2@ 3B (o/s: Buster).

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 07:34:13 pm »

I'm not sure if I should continue to list behavioral quirks here or in the crash thread or start another just for these sorts of things.

Anyway I figure word will magically appear as to the 'correct' approach to take.

The small text fill in 'boxes' are not going away once I'm done with them.  These occur in the left side playlists section as well as individual file renaming 'opportunities'.  And once activated they seem 'stuck in place' with the background still active and changeable (but obscured).

JJ

jjde244

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 07:50:45 pm »

I just installed version 146 and am unable to obtain any sound during playback using a firewire connection.  Previously,  on earlier versions there was sound, but it was distorted with static.  My Mac Operating system is:  10.7.3

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 08:28:03 pm »

When you post, please include the OS you're using.  10.6 isn't working yet.

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 10:33:22 pm »

So since I'm running on 10.6.8 does that mean I should hold off until either I'm running 10.7.5 or 10.6.x has been 'fixed' to make any further comments?

Just curious is all…

JJ

erviv

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 05:29:49 am »

I am running on 10.6.8, and have no stuttering on my MBP.  Although MC is primarily built around ML, improvements that have been made to date have also been reflected in SL.  I suggest you keep trying the revised builds, to see if as they come out the problem is corrected.   I am quite satisfied to date.  given the progress I may not have to switch to ML.  I will hold off switching, as enough of the final functionality of MC may be compatible with SL.
MacBook Pro i5 2.3Ghz 8 GB (early 2011) 1Tb SSD; 3 Raspberry pi’s 4 and 2@ 3B (o/s: Buster).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 06:55:16 am »

So since I'm running on 10.6.8 does that mean I should hold off until either I'm running 10.7.5 or 10.6.x has been 'fixed' to make any further comments?
If you can wait, there is a chance we'll get 10.6 working well.

It's possible that the stuttering is a different issue.

FredM

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 07:36:07 am »

The stuttering appears after some time playing. My OS version is 10.8.2, my Media Center is the latest. I took a look at the memory usage. The memory usage keeps growing over time. Looks like a memory leak in the code. It starts with 150MB, after 2 minutes its about 165 MB, 2 minutes later 180 Mb.
The settings for play files from memory is switched off. Prebuffering is the minimal setting: 2 seconds.

Hopefully this helps in finding the problem.

Fred

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 06:05:05 pm »

To add to that thought a bit.

I noticed that as the hours increased in a single 'boot' or runtime for MC (latest) that the time spent paused increased as time went on.  In other words the pauses got worse (longer) and more frequent, as the hours went by.

JJ
ps  I also found what works to bring the page back up, after disappearing due to fussing with the buttons.  Switch to another program, anything works.  Then Cmmd-tab and go back to MC.  The screen pops back.

The stuttering appears after some time playing. My OS version is 10.8.2, my Media Center is the latest. I took a look at the memory usage. The memory usage keeps growing over time. Looks like a memory leak in the code. It starts with 150MB, after 2 minutes its about 165 MB, 2 minutes later 180 Mb.
The settings for play files from memory is switched off. Prebuffering is the minimal setting: 2 seconds.

Hopefully this helps in finding the problem.

Fred

JHR

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 09:13:26 am »

Currently what works for me on MC 146 and two stock Mac minis (2012) with latest OSX is to set pre-buffering to 10s, and turn off memory play.

Works for me without popping or pausing for 8 hours+, then restarted and played again for the same amount of time.

ETA: of course as soon as I wrote the above, I got some stuttering in playback. Not popping, but it's as if the timeline of the file has been spliced in some weird way. This happened when I was in the mini-player view and I was surfing the web (normal HTML files with Chrome), after about an hour of playback.

I verified the files (no issues there) and restarted MC... no problems with the restart. I also couldn't reproduce it immediately.

Dan1970

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 06:36:43 pm »

Just wanted to add that I also experience playback stuttering.

I am on the latest OSX, mc 146 and have tried memory play on and off and changing pre-buffer size.
The dac I am using is the Ayre qb-9 usb dac.

Mikeau

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 01:42:45 am »

Hi all, First of all total newbie here both for MC and also MAC
Hardware: Mac Mini OSX 10.8.2. DAC: Valab using dual Wolfson WM8741 DAC Chip running in balanced mode,playing through Primare Pre-Amp, DIY Power amp (balanced), DIY 2 Way Speakers..

Have experienced some stuttering too, for me this occurs when changing from say a 16bit, 44.1 CD rip to a 24 bit 96 download (played as .wav) or going the other way. I have found if it does stutter that simply pressing the Stop button and then restarting cures the problem. I have played with the "play from memory" setting and also the buffering time, all to no avail.  Not a real biggy for me at the moment just thought I would let you guys know.
cheers,
Mike

Mikeau

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 01:44:11 am »

Forgot to add using build 146 MC for MAC.

druism

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 06:04:22 pm »

Not sure I am going to add much to this discussion but I also have the sputtering problem. It arrives after one or two or seven tracks have played fine (using 142 currently). If I reboot the application it goes away but comes back quickly.

Also, when I quit the application, it crashes - every time. Has done since the first Mac version.

Running from a 2011 Mac Mini to Beresford Bushmaster etc. Operated from nearby Mac Pro, both hard wired on network. Playing from memory, as I do in PureMusic et al. 

I have also had it baulk at playing a file, claiming file properties which are incompatible. I regret I did not note what it said but it was something like "I don't do 640 bit files" which, of course, I do not have. It has not happened in a while but I will make a note next time.

Enjoying MC when I can but the sputtering seems to be harder to avoid with each build tried.

JHR

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2013, 09:31:05 pm »

Did a clean boot this AM and started playing files. Playing mixed bit depth FLAC files now for over 12 hours smoothly. No skipping or other artifacts.

I've been multitasking on and off as well with the system all day. No issues.

Files NOT playing from memory, but with a 10s buffer.

I suspect that running into web sites that might want to grab audio could be the cause of the issue I had the other day. I'll try to reproduce.

FredM

Direction to look for resolving
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 03:33:09 pm »

After a reboot of the mac, stuttering is over. I can play for hours. But: if I quit Mediacenter and start it up again, the stuttering is their again.
Within the dsp settings a use the output format settings, to do a sample rate conversion from 44.1 to 96 kHz. When I switch of the output format, the stuttering is gone!

freddiejohn

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 10:31:12 pm »

I too have had playback stuttering issues which persist.  They are not apparent in the first 45 minutes of listening and then develop with an ever more frequency.  The stuttering after that time occurs every 1-3 minutes.  My system:

IMac 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 DSRAM
Mac OSX 10.7.5 Lion
Media Center 18.0.151
Bel Canto U-link
Bel Canto C5i

Otherwise, I am impressed and happy.
Fred

freddiejohn

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 10:37:51 pm »

Additionally, no multitasking done with the IMac.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 12:57:19 pm »

I wonder if this could be related:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79284.0

If you're getting stuttering, is it only after using the program a while?  What does 'Activity Monitor' show for CPU and memory usage?  Is it growing with time?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

freddiejohn

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 05:12:27 pm »

Attached are images of CPU usage and memory usage at rest, and then with playing MC18.  Both parameters increase immediately and steadily until 46 minutes when stuttering begins.
Fred

freddiejohn

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2013, 05:53:35 pm »

Sorry for the unreadable image attachments.  Unfortunately I re sized and didn't save the original screenshots.
I'll try words and numbers: 
                              CPU%          Memory
Start MC                    6                 220 MB
46 min playtime         25                646     stuttering started
60 min                       30.8             864     stuttering severe
MC stopped for 7 min   1.8             1000+ MB   and increasing       
   (still open)

Hope this helps.
Fred

Mikeau

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2013, 08:53:44 pm »

Mac Mini OSX version 10.8.2, MC for Mac build 151
For me stuttering occurs when changing file type. For example if I just play ripped CD files (FLAC) no stuttering, Likewise if I play downloaded FLACs (24 bit, 96kHz) all is ok. But if I change from higher bit depth/sample rate FLAC to FLAC ripped from CD I get stuttering. When I stop the playback and restart it, there is no stuttering.  If I change from ripped CD files (FLAC) to high definition FLAC, there is no stuttering.
I have tried several combinations of playing from memory or not as well as buffering times, doesnt seem to make a difference.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2013, 09:04:26 pm »

Mac Mini OSX version 10.8.2, MC for Mac build 151
For me stuttering occurs when changing file type. For example if I just play ripped CD files (FLAC) no stuttering, Likewise if I play downloaded FLACs (24 bit, 96kHz) all is ok. But if I change from higher bit depth/sample rate FLAC to FLAC ripped from CD I get stuttering. When I stop the playback and restart it, there is no stuttering.  If I change from ripped CD files (FLAC) to high definition FLAC, there is no stuttering.
I have tried several combinations of playing from memory or not as well as buffering times, doesnt seem to make a difference.
Some DAC's have trouble when they switch.  You could try upsampling everything.  DSP Studio/Output Settings.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2013, 09:23:21 pm »

Sorry for the unreadable image attachments.  Unfortunately I re sized and didn't save the original screenshots.
I'll try words and numbers: 
                              CPU%          Memory
Start MC                    6                 220 MB
46 min playtime         25                646     stuttering started
60 min                       30.8             864     stuttering severe
MC stopped for 7 min   1.8             1000+ MB   and increasing       
   (still open)

Hope this helps.
Fred

What if you don't play and just let the program sit?  Do you still see increasing memory usage?

freddiejohn

• Recent member
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2013, 12:30:25 pm »

Memory usage when MC is open but not playing:  started 9:16  43.9 MB     at 10:16  179.2
Hopefully the attached images will be readable.

reiterating my system:   

IMac 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 DSRAM
Mac OSX 10.7.5 Lion
Media Center 18.0.151
Bel Canto U-link
Bel Canto C5i

Thanks,
Fred

Mikeau

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2013, 04:21:37 am »

Some DAC's have trouble when they switch.  You could try upsampling everything.  DSP Studio/Output Settings.

Hi Jim thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I used DSP/Studio/Otuput settings to set  the CD rips to 96Khz and or 24 bit as per the higher definition FLAC files. The result was that then everything stuttered!  (I am now using buile 155 MC).  So taking your comments on board about the DAC maybe slow to respond, I downloaded a trial version of MC 18 for Windows.  No stuttering at all, irrespective of changing file sampling rates or bit depth.

With the current build version (DSP Output settings set to no change I get stuttering when changing from higher definition files to ripped CD FLACs (this when running on MAC Mini with OSX 10.8.2). As stated above with MC for Windows no such stuttering occurs.

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing stuttering under these circumstances, I know some have experienced it after longer play times. I havent had a chance yet to try extended play times to evaluate this aspect.

Thanks to you and your team for their great work.

Cheers from Oz.

mher90

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2013, 01:42:48 am »

Has anyone found a fix to this problem??  I'm experiencing the same stuttering issue.  Tried MC 17 and 18, forcing bit depth, and unchecking playing back from memory.  I've used MC for awhile now and this is the first time this has happened.  Not sure if it's due to the MC update.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2013, 07:44:22 am »

Has anyone found a fix to this problem??  I'm experiencing the same stuttering issue.  Tried MC 17 and 18, forcing bit depth, and unchecking playing back from memory.  I've used MC for awhile now and this is the first time this has happened.  Not sure if it's due to the MC update.

Welcome.

Please start a new thread on the MC18 for Windows board (this is the Mac board, and you mention MC17 which only existed on Windows) and we'll try to help.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2013, 09:19:57 am »

Please use this thread for any remaining playback issues:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80280.0

(closing this thread now)
Pages: [1]   Go Up