INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback problem / DVD read error [merged]  (Read 4647 times)

Beetlemania

• Recent member
Playback problem / DVD read error [merged]
« on: May 04, 2013, 10:28:23 am »

I just bought the Concert for George DVDs. They're used but appear to be in good condition, ie, no obvious scratches or pits.

But there is some weird interaction btw both discs and MC. Both play fine in WMP but both have problems in MC. Other DVDs play fine in MC.

One disc will not open in MC, either from a cold start (autoplay) or by trying to open the file from MC. I get this message: Playback problem, Details: Failed to open or parse file. (hr=0x8000405).

The other disc will start in MC with autoplay, but there is no audio. My DAC is not getting any signal. With this disc, I can successfully open it by navigating to it using "Open a media file". In this case, the audio does work, but there's not a workable solution for navigating to the beginning of the video.

I'm inclined to think something is wrong with the discs, but they both play fine in WMP.

Any ideas?

Beetlemania

• Recent member
Re: Playback problem / DVD read error [merged]
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 11:41:48 am »

I confirmed that the problem is some sort of interaction between MC and the CFG discs. The discs play fine using WMP on two computers, including the one with MC loaded. They also play fine on a JVC DVD player.

So, the discs seem good, the computer and DVD transport on my HTPC are good, and MC is good. It's only when I combine MC and the discs that the problem is encountered. Very strange!

Beetlemania

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 10:51:22 am »

I just bought the Concert for George DVDs. They're used but appear to be in good condition, ie, no obvious scratches or pits.

But there is some weird interaction btw both discs and JRMC18. Both play fine using Windows Media Player. I’ve tried it on two computers (I only have JRMC18 on one computer). The discs also play fine on a JVC DVD player.

One disc will not open in JRMC18, either from a cold start (autoplay) or by trying to open the file from JRMC18. I get this message: Playback problem, Details: Failed to open or parse file. (hr=0x8000405).

The other disc will start in JRMC18 with autoplay, but there is no audio. My DAC is not getting any signal. With this disc, I can successfully open it by navigating to it using "Open a media file". In this case, the audio does work, but there's not a workable solution for navigating to the beginning of the video.

So, the discs seem good, the computer and DVD transport on my HTPC are good, and JRMC18 is good. It's only when I combine JRMC18 and the discs that the problem is encountered. Very strange!
Any ideas?
 ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 09:58:51 pm »

You may need to configure your audio to output something your DAC likes.  Use DSP Studio > Output Format and pick '2 channels' and JRSS mixing.

Also, try switching between Red October Standard and HQ in Options > Video.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Beetlemania

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 10:30:37 am »

Two more DVDs don't have functioning audio with MC but work fine with WMP. One was really weird. At the film's beginning, the soundtrack was audible but not the dialogue. The other had little to no audio.

The settings you recommended did not help, but thanks for the reply.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 10:37:08 am »

At the film's beginning, the soundtrack was audible but not the dialogue.

This likely means you're losing the center channel.

As I mentioned above, please double-check that you have 2-channel output selected and JRSS mixing enabled.

You can use Audio Path to confirm that 5.1 audio is being converted to 2.0 for your hardware:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Path

Does that help with that one specific film?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 11:20:55 am »

Also, please be aware that video playback won't work properly if you're using jplay.  It adds latency that will make lip-sync incorrect.  Worse, with DVD too much audio latency will result in broken playback as the DVD navigator won't allow video and audio positions to deviate enough from one another to overcome the latency.

Beetlemania

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 04:47:49 pm »

This likely means you're losing the center channel.

As I mentioned above, please double-check that you have 2-channel output selected and JRSS mixing enabled.

You can use Audio Path to confirm that 5.1 audio is being converted to 2.0 for your hardware:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Path

Does that help with that one specific film?

Thanks for the tip. In this case, I did not have JRSS mixing enabled - I must have changed it recently when trying to configure for DSD playback (I'm sorry for my outburst on CA forum). My daughter's two DVDs have since gone back to the rental store but I am getting proper audio from another DVD. Same error with my Concert For George DVD, however.

Beetlemania

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 04:53:59 pm »

Also, please be aware that video playback won't work properly if you're using jplay.  It adds latency that will make lip-sync incorrect.  Worse, with DVD too much audio latency will result in broken playback as the DVD navigator won't allow video and audio positions to deviate enough from one another to overcome the latency.

Have you actually performed these tests with JPlay?

BTW, I have auditioned it (and the free trial is still installed on my PC) but I don't use it. To my ears, it does sound slightly better than MC but not enough to justify its price. I'd rather spend the $$ on more music. I have been happy with MC's audio performance if not its video performance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 05:28:39 pm »

If you would like help, please uninstall it.

Beetlemania

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 05:57:35 pm »

If you would like help, please uninstall it.

Seriously? Do I understand that you won't help me (a paying customer) because I have a free trial of competing software on my PC? Or is it that you think the trial software, which is not activated, is what's causing MC to have video errors?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 06:05:00 pm »

I'm closing this thread.

We can't help if you're not willing to listen or try things.

I tried to extend an olive branch after you insulted JRiver on a different forum, but I can only take so much abuse.

It's ironic that my original answer, which you insulted at the other forum, was actually the main solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up