INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long filenames  (Read 1298 times)

maxim

• Recent member
Long filenames
« on: May 10, 2013, 07:40:26 am »

What limits the length of the filename that MC will import?

I was importing a classical music database and 64  files failed to import because the filename was too long.  It is a bit too many to fix quickly by hand.  Is there a better solution?

Running JRMC18 on W7 ...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Long filenames
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 09:08:05 am »

Windows has a limit.  You could shorten some directory names if necessary.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 12:08:28 pm »

Get Bulk Rename Utility - it is free.

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 01:08:58 pm »

Windows has a limit.  You could shorten some directory names if necessary.
This always confuses me. I recently changed my file structure a bit to move from Drive:\Music\ to Drive:\Audio\Music\ (so the root of the drive only has Audio/Documents/Files/Video)

Well Windows suddenly complained that filenames were too long for the move operation on some of them.
So I renamed the directory to "1" which made it short enough to move, and I had no issue renaming it back to [Year] - [Album] ([Description]) afterwards.

It's my understanding that Windows basically actually has no limit on the path length (32,767 characters) but certain operations limit you to 260 characters. Argh. >:(

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 02:01:04 pm »

Windows can be frustratingly inconsistent about what is too long for a file name or directory name.  Different applications, utilities, and built in file functions all seem to have different ideas about what is too long.  Even when moving files from one NTFS drive to another NTFS drive.

I've gone with a solution where I have custom "Rename, Move & Copy" files rules in JRiver to trim the names down to shorter lengths that are long enough for me to be able to read and know what the files are yet short enough to be able to copy to different drives without getting errors.  My renameing rules have evolved over time and have gotten more complex over time.  Here's what my rules are to give you an idea:

Directory rule:
[Library]\[Album Artist (auto)] - [Album]IfElse(!IsEmpty([Disc #],1), -PadNumber([Disc #],2))

Filename rule:
if(isequal([media type], Audio), Mid([Album Artist (auto)],0,20)-Mid([Album],0,20)-If(IsEmpty([Disc #],1),,PadNumber([Disc #],2))-PadNumber([Track #],2)-Mid([Name],0,20), [Name])

[Library] is a custom field equal to "Rock, Jazz, Classical, Country" and a few other general classifications.

I use those rules to rename everything in my library and I've had no more problems with file names being too long.

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 03:51:49 pm »

It's my understanding that Windows basically actually has no limit on the path length (32,767 characters) but certain operations limit you to 260 characters. Argh. >:(

Depends on how you define Windows. If you include explorer.exe as part of that definition, then Windows does indeed have a path/file character limit. I know this because I have run into problems moving files using Windows Explorer from D:\music to something like C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Music.

maxim

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 02:25:57 am »

Are you guys shure it is a Windows problem, and not a MC problem?

I was able to copy my files allright, just couldn't import them into MC ...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 06:43:56 am »

Windows itself isn't consistent about this.  Try a Google search to read about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up