INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crash Report - Consistent crash when switching to 192/24 files  (Read 4570 times)

Chauncey

• Junior Woodchuck

My music library is full of 44/16, 96/24 and 192/24 files in ALAC.  I'm noticing fairly consistent crashes when i switch to a 192/24 file after playing any other resolution.  It happened at least 4 times tonight; it's very frustrating.  MC hangs while buffering and never comes back.  It plays the 192/24 track, but functionality does not return without CNTL+ALT+DEL

DSP is set to level volume and do some slight EQ'ing.  It upsamples 44.1 to 96.  Buffering is set to the recommended 6 mil.  I've tried playing from memory and playing from HDD.

Any suggestions?  Any idea what is going on?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Crash Report - Consistent crash when switching to 192/24 files
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 04:05:39 pm »

Some DAC's have trouble switching.  Does any other software work with your hardware and that combination of files?

Chauncey

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 09:37:46 am »

Some DAC's have trouble switching.  Does any other software work with your hardware and that combination of files?
I haven't tried other software to play these files.  My audio and video is sent to an Oppo BDP-103 via HDMI.  The Oppo sends the video to the tv and audio to a Pioneer VSX-1121 AVR.

The crash usually happens after playing music for an hour or so.  And if this was a problem with the DAC why does the music continue to play while MC hangs? 

Chauncey

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 08:05:54 am »

I am still encountering problems when playing files with different sample rates.  The main culprit appears to be 192/24 files.  If I am listening to 44.1/16 and the next song is 192/24, there will either be no sound or a delay of several seconds before the 192/24 file plays. 

It appears to be on MC's end because the signal indicator lights on my AVR disappear when this happens.  I am guessing that means MC is doing something because there is no audio being sent to the AVR.

I am using WASAPI Event Style.  I have DSP set to 5.1 because that's my speaker config.  I have tried playing files from memory and HDD; no change.  All buffer/pre-buffer values are set to default values.  I have noticed that increasing from 100 milliseconds to, say, 250 worsens the problems (192/24 won't play at all).

Chauncey

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 08:53:09 am »

I read users' problems in the New WASAPI thread.  I'm thinking that might be my issue because the problems with 192/24 did not happen before I upgraded.  I'm going to try installing ASIO to see if that solves anything.

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 08:57:07 am »

ASIO shouldn't need to be installed... If your device driver supports it, you need only select it in options... (And sometimes tweak a few other settings.)

ASIO is the preferred output if your drivers support it well.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 09:34:18 am »

ASIO shouldn't need to be installed... If your device driver supports it, you need only select it in options... (And sometimes tweak a few other settings.)
Not quite.  The driver may need to be installed.

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 09:39:05 am »

Not quite.  The driver may need to be installed.

Sorry.... I figure that was implied by my statement "If your device driver supports it". If you have installed your device driver, and that driver supports ASIO, then there would be nothing more to install.

People tend to think they need to install a wrapper like ASIO4ALL, for ASIO to work. If your device driver supports ASIO, and you have installed said driver, you should not need to install something like ASIO4ALL.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 09:43:38 am »

A driver could be a Windows driver, or from a manufacturer.  In the case of ASIO, it must be obtained from the manufacturer of the DAC or other sound device.

Chauncey

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 10:29:53 am »

Sorry.... I figure that was implied by my statement "If your device driver supports it". If you have installed your device driver, and that driver supports ASIO, then there would be nothing more to install.

People tend to think they need to install a wrapper like ASIO4ALL, for ASIO to work. If your device driver supports ASIO, and you have installed said driver, you should not need to install something like ASIO4ALL.

I am one of those people that thinks I need to install ASIO4ALL.   :-\. I guess I don't know if I need to install it or not.  I run MC on a bootcamped Mac Mini using Win 7.  It looks the Win 7 is using a Realtek HD Audio driver. I'll make sure that driver is up to date.

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 10:32:35 am »

Are you not using an external DAC?

Chauncey

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 10:37:37 am »

Are you not using an external DAC?

No.  Audio is output via HDMI to an Oppo BDP-103.  Bitstream is set to NONE in MC.  The Oppo then bitstreams to my AVR with 5.1 speaker config.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 10:40:42 am »

And, to be completely clear...

If your device does not have a well-behaved ASIO driver, you shouldn't be using ASIO4ALL in almost all circumstances (and essentially never with MC).

If you have a device with a nice ASIO driver (generally external DACs, Pro Audio devices, and other "higher-end" devices), then you should use that.  This driver will be provided by the manufacturer of your audio device.  Install the driver in Windows.  Select ASIO mode in MC.

If you have a "regular" device, you should probably use WASAPI, unless you are on an old-decrepit OS like XP.

If you are on an old decrepit OS like XP, you should upgrade to Windows 7 (or 8 if it doesn't bother you).
If you can't for some reason, then maybe Kernel Streaming or ASIO4ALL (which are essentially the same thing) would be appropriate.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 10:43:09 am »

No.  Audio is output via HDMI to an Oppo BDP-103.  Bitstream is set to NONE in MC.  The Oppo then bitstreams to my AVR with 5.1 speaker config.

Where is the HDMI output?  The one right on the Mac Mini?

Use WASAPI.  There is no well behaved ASIO driver for that device.  The "generic" WASAPI settings in MC should work beautifully though.

Uninstall ASIO4ALL if you installed it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Chauncey

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 10:50:09 am »

Yes, it's the HDMI on the Mac Mini.  Then I won't mess with ASIO and I'll stick with WASAPI. 

This only happens when sample rate changes to 192.  I haven't noticed problems with 44.1 or 96.  My audio library is in ALAC, for what it's worth.

I appreciate your replies.  Any suggestions to troubleshoot this?

Chauncey

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 11:50:16 pm »

I tried all night, but I could not figure out how to play 192/24 without issues.  The best I could do was play a 192/24 ALAC file with 6 seconds of no sound before the track could be heard.  I was able to avoid the gap/delay in sound if I down sampled everything to 96.  I do not want to downsample!  iTunes can play 96/24; I bought MC to get away from iTunes.

Chauncey

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 09:43:37 am »

Any suggestions?  I can't play 192/24 files without MC producing errors or 6 seconds of slilence.  I am hoping the imminent WASAPI fix helps. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 03:51:18 pm »

This sounds like a hardware issue.

Maybe the Oppo takes a while to lock onto 192kHz input.

You could use 'Startup silence' in Options > Audio to work around this.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Chauncey

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 10:03:47 am »

Thank you for the suggestion.  I'll give it a try!

Chauncey

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 08:52:04 pm »

Still can't play 192/24 without problems.  MC froze while playing "Rock 'N' Roll Is Music Now.flac".  It's a 192/24 file.  I've attached a log to this post (I hope I did it right!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up