INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clarification on "sync changes with server"  (Read 1779 times)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Clarification on "sync changes with server"
« on: May 22, 2013, 09:34:02 am »

I'm just about to set up a new PC with MC on it, and now considering all the pros and cons on how to keep two machines in sync. Only one of those PCs will be doing ripping, tagging, etc, i.e. the "Admin" PC.  The media files themselves are on a central NAS with a path common to both PCs.

I could have independant, local libraries on each PC and export the library from one machine to the other whenever changes are made. This ensures that neither PC requires the other PC to be switched on in order to work.

I could make the Admin PC a client of the non-Admin PC so that changes only have to be done once - however I believe there are limitiations regarding ripping, cover art and/or tagging when done it on a client.  Is that right?  What exactly are the limitations, I think I've only read about them in vague terms? This would probably be the ideal scenario but if it's not going to work reliably then I don't want to do it this way.

But when you make one copy of MC a client of another, there is an option to "automatically sync changes with the server".  I have never understood the meaning of this, could someone clarify it for me?  I would have thought that if you are connecting to a server's library, you are always dealing with the server's library remotely, so why would changes have to be sent explicitly back to the server by some sort of sync process that may or may not work in real time?  If you don't select this option then....what happens?  You are connecting to the server library remotely and you make changes but the changes don't actually happen on the server?  Is it a case that the client doesn't actually connect to the server in real-time but just reads the server's library once at start-up, and thereafter it's using a local copy of the server's library?

DrKNo

• World Citizen
Re: Clarification on "sync changes with server"
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 04:03:20 pm »

This is an interesting question... could some dev or someone from the community jump in? I'm unsure why sync questions seem to be disregarded.

csimon

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 04:09:53 pm »

Just to explain where I'm up to with this at the moment. I've got the new PC up and running but I've left it that both PCs have their own local library.  I tried client/server but, as suspected, the option to rip CDs is not made available in this mode. So the only way to do this I *think* is to rip, import and tag on the original PC then run an import on the new PC - the files are stored on a central NAS. (Easier than exporting the whole library and restoring it just for one new CD).

I also tried making changes while connected in client/server but I ran into problems with authentication I think - it told me I couldn't sync  the changes.

Hilton

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 09:37:10 am »

You can rip the files to the network share on the server using the local client library and then the server should automatically pickup your ripped tracks if you have auto-import setup on the server.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 09:40:05 am »

@csimon == look at the "other" thread I left a bit of info for you. Later I'll post some screen shots here -- maybe it will help others too

Have to get back to WORK spending all my time here today  ;D

csimon

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 10:03:00 am »

@csimon == look at the "other" thread I left a bit of info for you. Later I'll post some screen shots here -- maybe it will help others too

Yes, thank you for doing that.

Have to get back to WORK spending all my time here today  ;D

I know what you mean.  :-[
Pages: [1]   Go Up