INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Logitech Harmony Ultimate do all this.  (Read 20073 times)

coresare

• Recent member
Can Logitech Harmony Ultimate do all this.
« on: June 16, 2013, 12:51:21 am »

Here is my setup.

HTPC with Ceton TV Tuner (Cox Cable) running Win 8 with Windows Media Center.

This connects via HDMI to Anthem MRX Receiver - HDMI - Samsung TV.

I'm trying to consolidate my remotes / keyboard if I can.

So far I use a Logitech K400 wireless keyboard to control the computer / JRiver. / Windows Media Center to watch TV (I'm not sure why MC18 won't list my Ceton tuner so I have to use WMC to watch TV)

I have to use the Samsung TV remote to control the TV and the Anthem remote to control the receiver.

I bought a windows media center remote with IR receiver..and also a Logitech Harmony Ultimate hoping to control everything with just the Harmony.  So far I want to throw the Harmony at the wall.

My question is .. can the Harmony Ultimate do all this?  So far it controls the TV and receiver fine.  I even got it to launch Windows Media Center to watch TV.  I cannot find a way for the remote to launch MC18r which I use to watch blurays and listen to music though.

Any advice will be appreciated. Now I understand why some reviewers said the Logitech software sucks.

coresare

• Recent member
Re: Can Logitech Harmony Ultimate do all this.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 01:59:21 am »

One problem I find navigating MC18 without a mouse and using the cursor is when I down arrow through my directories it will say "working on" and try reading inside and bog down sometimes even crashing. Looks like I'm stuck using a keyboard and remotes.

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 03:41:59 am »

Hmm, I don't need a keyboard to use my HTPC and MC 18.

To configure MC 18 the way i need it, i'm using my Laptop and Remote Desktop.
But once configured, i only need my Remote in Theater View.
I'm using Soundgraph Solution with Remote and VFD Display. So i can even start HTPC from complete shutdown
with the remote.
With Soundgraph software it's very easy to add applications you want to start with remote.Normally this should easily be possible with an logitech remote, i would say. If not, it isn't worth the money, in my opinion.

But i have to add, i don't use MC to watch TV. And you want to use harmony only. Should be possible, i think.
Did you read the j. river keyboard shortcuts wiki's? You can add custom shortcuts for your needs.

And if you are using MCE too, i would recommend "disable MCE" option in theater view settings.

Perhaps this post helps: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80554.msg548530#msg548530
Lian Li PC-C60B HTPC Case
(Soundgraph Imon Display + Remote Control)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 + 8GB DDR3
AMD Athlon II X4 605e 4x2,3Ghz (45W TDP)
Onkyo TX-NR906
Teufel System 5 THX Select 2

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 04:14:26 am »

I use my Harmony 1 for my Htpc and TV and works great. Taught the harmony from my wmc remote and does everything as it should. Press Activities > Watch Tv and the TV comes on, htpc resumes from sleep and MC goes to the Theater View guide. No problems.

Boltron

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 04:48:55 am »

I use a single Harmony remote for my LG TV, Denon AVR, Windows PC and JRiver. Everything is fully integrated and the PC even goes to sleep when I power off and wakes up when I power on. The magic that ties it all together is a Flirc http://flirc.tv/.

The Flirc is a little USB programmable keyboard with an IR receiver. You use a simple utility to program it to press any keyboard key/combination using any remote button. Combine this with the free utility Autohotkey and you then can invoke any command like starting JRiver, putting the computer to sleep, rebooting etc... Over the years I tried several remotes and IR receivers but nothing ever worked perfectly until I found the Flirc.

A trick I learned with the Harmony was to program it for your TV and AVR model as required and then just include any other TV that you don't have to control the PC and JRiver. It doesn't matter what TV model you select you just want a bunch of free available IR signals that won't affect your TV and AVR. You then use this phantom TV to program the Flirc. This saves you a device on the Harmony because if you use a Media Center device to send PC key codes you will need at least two devices and may bump you up to a higher model Harmony.

Just one thing, the Flirc is easy to program but you will need some Windows technical knowledge to integrate it all with Autohotkey. It's really nothing very hard though.

Check out the Flirc, it really is an awesome device. I have two I use for JRver and XBMC.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 05:57:23 am »

I use a Harmony Touch to control my HTPC, TV, SAT box, Receiver and Apple TV. I also have a Harmony diNovo Mini keyboard I occasionally pull out if I need to exit Theater View and change anything.

The HTPC is a an AsRock Vision 3D which can be powered on and off with the remote.

I too use WMC to watch TV. This is accessed through MC18, which I use for movies and music only. I have added a button in Theater View which will run a batch file that will close MC18 and start WMC. MC18 will be started again upon exit of WMC.

This works really well and I really only need the keyboard to change settings or add media.

In my mind the Logitech remotes a fantastic.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 06:50:03 am »

Take a squiz here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80052.msg554224#msg554224
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80747.msg549693#msg549693

I've got a Harmony 1100i remote that works my HTPC with a K400 keyboard, as well. Works well enough for me.

Might do for you depending on where you're prepared to compromise.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

coresare

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 09:55:35 am »

For those that have found a way to usr remote only. Isn't it a pain to find the song or movie you want to play?

I personally hate theater view as I hate scrolling through hundreds of titles to find the movie I want.
Any suggestions?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 10:35:01 am »

Hate is a harsh word.

Use page up and down to scroll.  Or type a letter.

coresare

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 11:12:10 am »

Hate is a harsh word.

Use page up and down to scroll.  Or type a letter.

Didn't know you could type letters to narrow it down. Thanks.

Using just a remote you have no keyboard though.  I'm trying to find a way to either use all keyboard or all remote control.  I just tried the explorer view in theater view which works well, but takes a few steps to get to.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 02:11:31 pm »

In Theater View you can also use the group option to group Artist or Album into letters. In this way you can drill down to what you want very quickly.

coresare

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 05:59:13 pm »

I think what I really want is a small keyboard that can emit IR with a few remote style buttons. Dedicated button to power on tv and dedicated button for AVR. Maybe an easy way to volume up/down tv and pressing a modifier and vol up/down for receiver.  I'm going to return the Logitech harmony ultimate so I don't feel like I just grabbed my ankles paying $350 for that thing lol.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 09:21:53 pm »

Sounds like this kind of concept might suit:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Pandawill/Rii_mini_i6/

The problem is finding something reliable and backed up by user referrals. The above looks a bit dodgy to me.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

coresare

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 12:46:17 am »

Sounds like this kind of concept might suit:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Pandawill/Rii_mini_i6/

The problem is finding something reliable and backed up by user referrals. The above looks a bit dodgy to me.

That thing looks pretty cool! Thank you!

Thanks everyone for the help. Much appreciated!

coresare

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 08:55:54 am »

Agreed that thing looks a bit dodgy. I was reading through the website's terms of refund.  Their last point is sort of hidden lol.  It says they will charge a restocking fee if there's nothing wrong with the device.

I think I'll try the Logitech Dinovo Mini and maybe a cheap universal remote.  Anyone know of a good small universal that can control 2 components? (TV and AVR) .. I wanted something that's easy to control both independently..

Castius

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 10:49:13 am »

What about the logitech harmony smart control instead?
I have an old android phone I plan on using. Or get a cheap tablet.
This looks like a much better price.
How do you guys think this will work with JMC?
Pages: [1]   Go Up