INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to normalize existing audio files?  (Read 22377 times)

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
How to normalize existing audio files?
« on: June 28, 2013, 01:34:57 am »

As the title says, i want to normalize some of my existing audio files, but can't find out how to do this.
Would you advise me?

Thanks!

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
Re: How to normalize existing audio files?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 02:06:29 am »

What format is your audio stored in? For a number of reasons normalising the audio data in the files themselves is usually not the best way to go about this. If you are using a format that supports tags, like FLAC, you will probably find that ReplayGain is a very good solution to the problem. You're in luck! There's a good article in the Wiki you can take a look at: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Replay_Gain
Heaven: The nicest speakers I can afford (set up with attention paid to room interactions) and an amp that can power them adequately. Plus any old competently designed cables, DAC and a bit-perfect source

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 03:19:11 am »

Hi Paul,

thanks for your answer.
The files are all mp3s and recorded at a too low level.
Therefore i'd like to normalize them before ReplayGaining them.

I think in older versions of MC this was a menu item - but i can't find it in MC18.

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 04:00:38 am »

What do you mean by 'recorded at too low level'?

I don't see the point or normalising the audio data and then using ReplayGain. RG effectively allows you to do non-destructive real-time normalisation of the data you already have.
Heaven: The nicest speakers I can afford (set up with attention paid to room interactions) and an amp that can power them adequately. Plus any old competently designed cables, DAC and a bit-perfect source

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 06:31:21 pm »

What do you mean by 'recorded at too low level'?

I don't see the point or normalising the audio data and then using ReplayGain. RG effectively allows you to do non-destructive real-time normalisation of the data you already have.

I concur.   ?

When you run "Analyse Audio" to assign ReplayGain values what are the range of settings that MC is coming up with? My expectation is that if the original recording level was too low, then MC will take the RG tag and crank it up to suit your RG settings in DSP Studio > Volume Levelling.

Should be a piece of cake.   ;D
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 11:49:12 pm »

Thanks for your answers!

But the point is not to play the files in MC but in my car's audio player.
That one doesn't work with ReplayGain. It takes the volumes as they are recorded.
And on some files, the volume is recorded too low.

Therefore i want to normalize the files.
I thought, MC had a menu item for this in older versions and i only can't find it.
But i might be wrong and was using another tool for this years ago.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 01:21:51 pm »

Does using creating the copies by using a handheld sync w/volume leveling enabled work for you?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 04:08:56 pm »

MrC,

that could be a way to go.
I will try that.

Thanks for the idea!

bobkatz

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 10:53:44 am »

Hi Paul,

thanks for your answer.
The files are all mp3s and recorded at a too low level.
Therefore i'd like to normalize them before ReplayGaining them.

I think in older versions of MC this was a menu item - but i can't find it in MC18.

This request doesn't make any sense to me in so many ways I have to answer in three parts!

I. All you need is ReplayGain. In fact the concept of "normalizing" an mp3 is specious at best. "Normalizing" an mp3 would be a VERY VERY VERY lossy process even if you attempted it. Once material it's been converted to mp3, that's it. Keep the data. Don't change it, it will only go downhill (sonically) very fast. The only way to change the gain of an mp3 would be to convert it to PCM and then raise the gain, then what do you plan to do? 

II. Besides, even if it was possible (or a good idea, which it isn't) to do what you are asking, if you don't get enough gain from the first gain process, are you somehow expecting Replay Gain to make up the rest?

III. So I'm puzzled. Anyway, the very best way to deal with this in the first place is to replace the mp3's with new ones, or better yet, go lossless.  How did these mp3's become so "low" in the first place?  If they were made from CDs or wav files in the first place, then they would have the same digital level as the original source. So I'm thinking maybe you are mistaken in thinking your mp3s are too low. I wonder if you are thinking maybe they are too low because of the loudness race and that these are mp3s made from "older" CDs? If so, then be proud and courageous----- your older CDs aren't too low, your newer ones are too high! Replay gain will take down the louder material and make it compatible with your "low" mp3s. End of story.

bobkatz

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 10:56:55 am »

I see that the issue is that the user wants to normalize the files for playback in his car. Unfortunately, there is no good solution to that for a car mp3 player. Just regulate the volume with the car's control.

HOWEVER, you can bring the mp3's over to your iDevice (or similar player) intact and without losing any data. Then turn on "Sound Check" on the player and play your mp3's normalized in your car from your iDevice. If you don't have an external analog or digital input in your car, march on down to Best Buy and have a new player installed in your car that does. That would be the end of your complaint and then some  :-).

jack wallstreet

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 11:30:06 am »

I had the same concern as Fred1 for my files.  My particular solution, which I have used for years is to normalize on my files with Replay gain.  I then analyze them through MC audio analyze to set a slightly different gain level (for use within MC), but when I copy the files and play them outside of MC (which is mostly), they have all been normalized by Replay gain.
John

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 11:48:47 am »

I investigated my old Windows programs (i am on Macs now) and found out that i used to use mp3Gain for this purpose (and not MC as i thought).
This tool doesn't do any harm to the mp3 data but only adjusts its volume.

You can read this Wiki article to learn how it works.

Thank's however for your thoughts!

P.S.: The files are recordings from FM radio concerts that i did in my youth on tape. Later i sold the tape machine and brought the recordings to mp3 format. Therefore there is no way to get the "originals".

bobkatz

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 09:14:49 am »

I had the same concern as Fred1 for my files.  My particular solution, which I have used for years is to normalize on my files with Replay gain.  I then analyze them through MC audio analyze to set a slightly different gain level (for use within MC), but when I copy the files and play them outside of MC (which is mostly), they have all been normalized by Replay gain.

If the files were mp3 sources then you are creating a lossy situation by transcoding mp3 to mp3 (which is a very bad idea). If perhaps you upconvert your "low level mp3" to 24 bit wav (dither it to 24 bit) and your playback system can play back 24 bit files then you are at least holding your own.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 12:41:11 pm »

bobkatz,

did you read my posting just before yours?
You are repeating arguments that aren't valid.

The mp3 format is able to set the volume of each frame separately.
And the mp3Gain utility uses this feature.
You should read about mp3Gain to understand that.

I used this tool successfully many years ago but forgot about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up