INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Free EPG options in Australia  (Read 14378 times)

Marra

• World Citizen
Free EPG options in Australia
« on: July 11, 2013, 06:39:15 pm »

I have seen references in old posts to get free EPG but it appears things have changed over the last 12 months. Are there any current options apart from the paid IceTV service? Does this service only give guide for FTA channels?  How do you get guide for Austar?
As others have stated, this is really a big issue here in Australia. 

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Free EPG options in Australia
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 09:55:26 pm »

Agree that the "free to air" EPG options could be better as far as MC's integration with the Australian scene is concerned. I'm not sufficiently IT savvy to do much better than work up anything other than user solutions.

I just deal with over the air broacasts and the forum posts referred to in the Wiki:
EPG for Australia
have hit the spot for me. You'll note my contributions for the good of the Australian sector of the MC community.

I work with 2 different EPG feeds. Helps sometimes when one goes off the air (happened with the OzTivo EPG over the 2012 Christmas period). If one feed goes off line, I can quickly and easily switch to the other.

If I find time over the weekend, I'll write up some additional notes around downloading the Shepherd EPG (found this useful to avoid daylight saving hassles from OzTivo given that I'm based in cane toad, banana bending territory where there's a state-wide fear of the curtains fading)..  8)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:15:34 am »

Marra, another option is covered here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67992.msg558108#msg558108

Give it a squiz, there's an option addressing getting a Foxtel EPG. I don't have pay TV, so I don't know whether that's the same as or different from Austar. Give it a go and let us know how you travel.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 08:21:55 am »

FWIW I pay for Ice and think it's value for money... They have codes fairly often, so I'll PM you one next time I get it if you like?

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 10:20:12 am »

Try EPGCollector:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=77177.0

this grabs the OTA EPG data directly from the air. I recall that the data wasn't great for Oz a couple of years ago, but I believe that situation may have changed recently.

It probably isn't going to be as good as the multi-source Shepherd link, but at least you can run it as often as you want.

Bear in mind that it will use up a tuner whilst it is grabbing the data. It takes about 5-10min for my satellite channels. It might therefore mess up simultaneous recordings unless you have oodles of tuners.

Also MC will only load the xmltv file once a day automatically. I don't think there's a manual command either that you could script. So you're stuck with doing it manually (or just once a day automatically).

SBR

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 05:41:04 pm »

Thanks Sandy.

I think I've looked at EPG Collector before but at the time, you probably hadn't posted your "how to" guide for MC. Neat.

I'm guessing I got held up at a setup step and threw it in. Don't know when I'll give it a go. Probably when I lose my other 2 EPG feeds...  ;D

Great to have options for us Antipodean types. With the small population and tyranny of distance, I'd say most of us are used to having to make do or gear up a work around for one thing or another.

Marra

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 06:57:52 pm »

Imugli

I am a fumbling no-hoper (yeah I could use another word instead of fumbling) with this TV EPG.
Do you mind sending Ice code via PM next time it's available. Atleast I've got some goal then for future plans.

Thanks
Marra

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 09:09:11 pm »

I've just worked up this guide for EPG Collector:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67992.msg558511#msg558511
Possibly an easier way to crack the nut.

It uses a TV tuner instead of downloading via the internet. Run in the wee hours of the morning when nothing is being broadcast that's worth watching and you should be sweet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up