INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: User accounts added to 19.0.25  (Read 5729 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
User accounts added to 19.0.25
« on: August 12, 2013, 04:43:06 pm »

Tonight's build of MC19 added user accounts.  They are stored with the library.  If there is no user, all users will have access.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:09:36 pm »

Tonight's build of MC19 takes a crack at this.
I like it. I just added a user and it is much easier than creating new user views or libraries.

I'm going to add an account for my kids. I checked the toolbar buttons and can't find anything for user or access control. It would be nice to be able to add a quick click button assigned to a user(s).

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 05:30:16 pm »

This will be more powerful for use than just for users. I just added a user called "Christmas" with files to show as "genre=christmas". Now I can view all my Christmas music, YouTube videos, etc. by artist, album, etc. using all my standard views. This is better than a Smartlist!

Will there be a way to reference which user account is in use for ZoneSwitch? I'm not talking about the user tag, but the actual user account. For example, I might want all music from my account will go to the Music Zone, but all music from users Rose, Daisy, and Petunia to go to the Kid's Zone. This would allow me to cap the maximum volume for all kid's user accounts rather than trying to go to zones based on genre or some other criteria.

Can I associate a user with a View so not all users get the same Views?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 05:40:52 pm »

Will there be a way to reference which user account is in use for ZoneSwitch? I'm not talking about the user tag, but the actual user account. For example, I might want all music from my account will go to the Music Zone, but all music from users Rose, Daisy, and Petunia to go to the Kid's Zone. This would allow me to cap the maximum volume for all kid's user accounts rather than trying to go to zones based on genre or some other criteria.

I thought about making this an extension of zones so that each zone could optionally define what files get shown.  This could be neat because there's already a well-defined system for zone switching in JRemote, Gizmo, etc.  However, it seemed too messy with regards to password protection and future extension to permissions.

To the question of can user accounts specify zones, views, volume, etc. the answer is not yet.  The possibilities here are pretty endless, but our goals for MC19 are modest.  I want a simple way to not see Curious George when I sit down at the couch.  We're not trying to make everything in MC fully multi-user.  Or should I say "true multi-user" ;)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 05:44:51 pm »

I want a simple way to not see Curious George when I sit down at the couch.
I'd rather not see Curious George regardless of where I sit.  Is that possible.  ;D

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 07:50:18 pm »

ok.. I need a hint on how to get these user accounts working.

Had the default User account "Administrator". Added account "Ken"

Since I had not tagged any files with User "Ken" I figured I would not have any files show when I switched to user Ken, but they all did. I tagged all of 1 artist with User "Ken", then switch to "Administrator" and then back to "Ken" and still all the files were shown. If I added Ken to Files To Show area, only files that contained Ken in their name showed up.

What am I doing wrong???

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 08:08:41 pm »

Tonight's build of MC19 takes a crack at this.

I just wet myself. As soon as I get the drool wiped off my chin I'll give er a whirl...

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 09:25:56 pm »

ok.. I need a hint on how to get these user accounts working.

Had the default User account "Administrator". Added account "Ken"

Since I had not tagged any files with User "Ken" I figured I would not have any files show when I switched to user Ken, but they all did. I tagged all of 1 artist with User "Ken", then switch to "Administrator" and then back to "Ken" and still all the files were shown. If I added Ken to Files To Show area, only files that contained Ken in their name showed up.

What am I doing wrong???

Ken

Set a few files to administrator then switch to ken. None of the files show. I think Administrator is a special case and will always see all files. This is a how it should be to prevent files from becoming "lost". However it might be more user friendly if MC Automatically adds Administrator to every file automatically and only allows other accounts to see files if you specifically say so. Just makes it easy for novice users to understand - especially since this stumped me at first as well and I'm a beta user...

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 09:29:09 pm »

I just added a user called "Christmas" with files to show as "genre=christmas".

Funny enough I actually have a separate Christmas Library just because it is such a pain to exclude that from all the other views etc every time I create something. I too will now be creating a Christmas user... :)

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 09:51:37 pm »

Set a few files to administrator then switch to ken. None of the files show. I think Administrator is a special case and will always see all files. This is a how it should be to prevent files from becoming "lost". However it might be more user friendly if MC Automatically adds Administrator to every file automatically and only allows other accounts to see files if you specifically say so. Just makes it easy for novice users to understand - especially since this stumped me at first as well and I'm a beta user...

No love for me. Set a few files to administrator.. Done
I set up a view with a "User" column
Under User Administrator I see "Administrator", "Ken", and "Unassigned". All tracks there
Switched to User Ken ..   and shows User "Ken" and Unassigned. All files but ones Tagged Administrator show.

Seems a bit odd. Would only think files tagged Ken would show for user Ken. I wonder if the User tag is empty it defaults to including the file.

EDIT>>> Adding Administrator to the User tag for all files, then also adding Ken to certain files works fine. I was assuming it would default to not showing the file if the tag was empty...

Ken

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 10:00:49 pm »

If the tag is empty, all users can see the file as mentioned in the build  ;):

2. NEW: Added a 'User' library field that can be set to any combination of users to limit the contents visibility to only those users (leave blank for content to show for all users).

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 10:03:50 pm »

Ok mojave.... Point out the obvious..  :-[

Maybe I like a little challenge now and then....  ;D

I shall read releases more carefully from now on.. was very excited to try this... Now the work begins....

MrHaugen

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 02:16:07 am »

Nice! Many good news in the new build. Good to know you're still thinking about this. But let me ask one thing. Is this tied to the user account in windows?

*Edit*
No, it's not. That's great news. This works pretty much like I hoped.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 02:34:14 am »

Karl, "users" are held in the library. Look under "View > Users" and add users there to get up and running.

MrHaugen

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 02:45:24 am »

Thanks, Marko. Just got around testing it. Looking good! Exactly what I hoped it would do. Just got the impression that it did not worked like this from what Kensen wrote :)
What we really need now is a way to change user and input password in Theater View?

Btw. It's Carl, not Karl  ;)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 09:37:58 am »

The fundamental question in my head is this: should an account be rule based or file based?

In other words, do you create a rule like "hide Sesame Street" or do you pick files and edit the owner / permissions?

The new system does both.

You can assign files to one or more users by editing the 'User' field.

You can also create a rule like "hide Sesame Street" (-[Series]=[Sesame Street]) for a user.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: User accounts added to 19.0.25
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 10:03:17 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up