INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Correct ASS subtitle rendering  (Read 3579 times)

henryk

Correct ASS subtitle rendering
« on: August 16, 2013, 12:48:59 pm »

Hello,

just checked the latest version of MC. There are still problems with the ASS subtitles.
OK, maybe this feature isn't very important to most people, because ASS is used mostly in anime. But I want an all in one media center solution, so this feature is important (since I still watch two shows once in a while).

I like the features of MC (especially the audio related ones), but this "missing feature" is bothering me, because I still need a second solution (like XBMC as frontend and MPC-HC/MadVR for playback).

MPC-HC (and other players) can render ASS correctly (and that for a long time). Why not MC?
(The other subtitle features are awesome, like moving or resizing the subtitle.)

I hope you can fix this problem.

Best regards,
henryk

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Correct ASS subtitle rendering
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 01:05:47 pm »

ASS is a very complicated specification, and implementing it completely takes month of work.
If you have specific samples that are rendered wrong, i would recommend to make a small sample and share it here, so that Matt and the others can have a look and improve their renderer.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

henryk

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 01:17:52 pm »

Isn't there a renderer which you could simply implement/include?

mason32

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 02:37:41 pm »

I would also really appreciate the possibility to choose an alternative renderer like xy-VSFilter http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168282 for subtitle rendering. I suppose this would be the easiest way to provide better ASS support.

Best regards,
Mason

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 02:39:01 pm »

MC's subtitle engine should support the common ASS tokens like size, color, fonts, basic animation, etc.

As nevcairiel said, if you could provide specific sample files, we might be able to solve the problems you're most bothered by.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up