INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Build : Replacing an Traditional Home Intercom System with Tablets  (Read 77002 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Build : Replacing an Traditional Home Intercom System with Tablets
« on: September 13, 2013, 05:42:53 am »

Ok, I've started the project.  We have a traditional Home Intercom System with one "Master" and many "Room Stations".  At present all we use this for is to page (eg "Kids, Dinner is ready") and for the Radio.

The Aim is to replace this system with Android Tablets.
I'm not a python at JRiver - just another Aussie

jmone

• Administrator
Re: Build : Replacing an Traditional Home Intercom System with Tablets
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 05:48:52 am »

There are several challenges to get this working:

1) Has to have a high WAF
2) Has to have a high WAF
3) see point 1 and 2

There are several issues in reaching these challenges and they are:
- We have a Brick House and the current units are set into the walls, so when you remove them you have holes that need to be covered or used.  The aesthetics on this are my main issue and so far each of my prototypes have failed the WAF.
- The wiring is an odd 8-core cable that is used to carry 12volt, analogue sound, and control signals.  As you can see from the pic, the wiring loom is far from "good".  I can not pull new cable as this stuff has been run through the slab but I plan to use it to provide power to each of the units.  I will rely on WiFi for the comms.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 06:09:15 am »

For the "Master" unit I've settled on a Galaxy Note 10.1 with a Speaker docking station that I found fits into the cavity nicely.  I will have to reline it and extend the depth a bit but it should work well and improve the sound from the existing unit.

One big benefit of the Note range from Samsung is that it supports multi windows and with a bit of rooting you can force it to have say Gizmo on one side and a paging app on the other but more on the software choice later.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 06:19:09 am »

The new "Room Station" docking pads are the challenge.  As you can see from the pic the cavities are ugly so need to be covered by something (what exactly I'm not sure of yet).  The mock up shows taping into the existing 12Volt circuit --> USB Car Adapter, that then feeds the guts of a Qi wireless charger that I pulled to bits.  I have also mounted a couple of neodymium magnets that match ones on the back of the tablet. 

The result is you just place the tablets to the panel and the magnets hold it in place and the Qi charger does it thing.  For this to work you of course need a Tablet with a Qi built in (it is the Nexus 7 2013 edition in this pic).  I also have a generic card to try with a Note 8.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 06:22:57 am »

So the result of the Room Station mock up so far is attached (with and without the Nexus 7).  It technically works, but gets the thumbs down on the WAF for the wall plate.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 06:31:15 am »

How about mounting it with Velcro?  Maybe a little bar at the bottom to keep it straight.

Or duct tape.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 06:33:35 am »

The next choice will be the exact mix of Software / Apps to use.

Master Unit:  I'd like to just use just a single piece of SW on the "Master Unit" in full screen mode so my Wife can access both the Radio and Page as needed but despite my best attempts to persuade the good JR'ers, unfortunately Gizmo does neither of these and I've reached the conclusion it may never do so  :'( .  So it looks like I'll have to use a combination of "Tune In" for the Radio and either "Skype" or an app like "Intercom" in a split screen Window.  Each of these have drawbacks compared to how the old unit works but once it gets physically installed I'll explore other SW options.

Room Stations:  I'm less worried about these as long as the app I use for paging runs in the background it should all be fine.  I do like Samsung's TouchWiz UI and I understand by rooting the Nexus I can load this.  One thing I have not worked out is that when paging with "Skype" or the "Intercom" app any media that is playing is not muted which I find odd and confusing.  More stuff to explore over the coming weeks.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 06:46:42 am »

Suggestions for the Apps would be a help. 

Streaming Media: The attached is a pic I posted in another thread of how it can look but unfortunately the Gizmo side does not work to Radio or TV Streams.  It looks nice and clean but gizmo just spins it's wheels and does nothing if you select these links.  I guess I will have to use "Tune In" but I find it a bit laggie and the UI is terrible.  Other suggestions?

Paging:  I've tried a couple of apps to use for the Paging function:
- "Intercom" (as per this pic) is a simple Push to Talk (PTT) app and functions just like a walkie talkie.  The good side is it see all other instances on you network and one press of the PTT button and you instantly broadcast to the other tablets.  One downside is that the user then has to hit the PTT button on their end to speak back (eg it is not bi-directional)
- "Skype" was a suggestion by Matt and not a bad one.  I've set up an account for each room and can dial them.  The good side is that it is bi-directional but the downsides are that it takes a bit for the call to be placed and on Andriod you can not initiate a group call (eg no whole house page).

Neither app seems to mute or pause the any media that may be playing which I find odd.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 06:52:46 am »

How about mounting it with Velcro?  Maybe a little bar at the bottom to keep it straight.

Or duct tape.

;D Plenty of duck tape is in use already on the mock ups.... and I also have in my bag of tricks double sided tape as well as those fancy 3M plastic Velcro tabs.  For the wall plates I've got a range of wood, glass tiles, laminate, picture frames, etc that I've trailed so far.  I think I'm going to look at custom Vinyl stickers to go over the top of a generic plate.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 07:04:50 am »

FYI - Qi is a wireless charging system that seems to becoming more and more popular - more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_(inductive_power_standard)

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 07:06:14 am »

This project would really be helped if Gizmo could be updated to support Radio and TV streams from the Library Server.  ;D

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 08:17:26 am »

A workaround for the radio streams may be to find the URL for their internet stream and save it as a playlist, then create a Gizmo view for those playlists.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 02:04:59 am »

;D Matt's is working on getting Gizmo going for Radio (and I hope TV)... the latest release has Radio Streaming now working for MP3 (but not AAC streams).

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 08:54:48 pm »

TV would be awesome. Over here in Oz a while back there was a court case because one of the telcos was enabling their customers to record TV in the cloud, then watch it on their mobiles almost immediately. The court found they were in breach of copyright as others had paid for the right to broadcast over internet / mobile and they had to withdraw the service.

I wonder how the AFL mobile rights holders would like me being able to essentially tap into my home TV connection from my mobile to watch the football, again bypassing their paid mobile broadcast service...

Interesting...

pcstockton

HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 09:14:32 pm »

Or this one, which will keep the devices portable if that's a nice-to-have.

http://www.thepadtab.com/

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 02:19:18 am »

Got a bit further on the Weekend, here is some pics of the replacement for the Master Unit (showing both Radio and TV). 

Radio:  The stations streamed by Gizmo work well.  Nice and strong no hiccups, but when I use Tune-In radio is terrible, you get little skips, squawks and drop outs.  Thanks again to Matt who has been working on the Gizmo part!

TV:  I have an HD Home Run and there is an Andriod App that lets you watch it on you tablet.  As an Aussie, I know of the court case regarding the Optus service that was time and place shifting live TV being shut down but this does not impact Home Use.

Overall I'm only giving myself a "C Minus" so far as:
1) WAF is poor as I've done my carpentry is not very good.  My wife tells me that it will be better once we remodel the Kitchen!  This could be an expensive build!!!

2) Nothing is really reliable or easy so far.  Stuff is dropping out, all the various interfaces are different.  I'm going to try moving one of my access points closer to the unit and see if that helps.

One great recent change is that Gismo now has the option of keeping the screen on and dimmed is a very BIG benefit as the tablets keep going into standby and having to find and press a button to turn the screen back on.  Big thanks for this! 

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 02:23:44 am »

The replacement room stations are a bit better, giving myself a B so far.

- Nexus 7 2013 Model & Android 4.2 : One new feature is the concept of Accounts in Andriod!  So I have a "Guest" account that only has apps like Gizmo, Kindle, TV, Tune In, Web Browser etc.  I'm still getting used to how to install and configure stuff between the accounts but it has great promise.

- Presentation:  I've got the "It's OK" on the latest prototype.  Basically a frame with the wireless charger and magnets behind it.  Look pretty good to me so I'll now take this to a real framing shop and get some made up by a professional.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 02:28:16 am »

One thing I've not worked out is the Door Bell.  It was part of the Intercom System and basically an outside version of the Room Stations with a big button that paged the house.

Another tablet mounted outside may not be the best options (too complex), but there is stuff only these lines around http://www.getdoorbot.com/

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 06:40:54 am »

Well - it is still a hard slog as the Dock for the 10.1 Note buzzes when no content is being played.  I've now had 2 units and the mfr thinks there could be a design fault - don't' buy http://www.iluv-australia.com.au/iSM524.aspx

After several mock ups of the room stations I've now got the local framer making some up professionally so I'll post pics when they are done.

The software side is still irritating.  The one station my wife listens to is fine on FM or DAB+ but has is a low quality AAC+ stream on then net that will not play in Gizmo at all and stutters in LastFM. 

Also I'm not sure what to use for the paging as Skype has a fair bit of delay and the other Andriod Apps are mostly PTT (eg you have to hold down a button to speak). 

It seems that replacing a '80 analogue Radio and Intercom is hard in the 2010's! 

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 05:51:50 am »

Here are the latest pics of both the Main Unit and a Room Station.  I've now got 3 x Nexus 7's ready to go just waiting for the framer to make the frames up.  Still not convinced on:
- Skype as a Paging App.  It works but the delay and quality is not great considering the traffic is all on the LAN
- Radio.  LastFM is not that stable, keeps crashing
- Live TV.  The HD Home Run app is OK but is a bit slow and does not always connect well (you have to sometime reboot the device).

The son thinks it is "Cool" and the wife is far from convinced.

As you can see from the pics, I've had to add a separate device for the Radio in the Kitchen to just get DAB+ / FM reception as the streaming radio is not great.  This bit is frustrating that with all the tech available, simple OTA is still better.

I've also had to upgrade my Wireless Access points to get better strong coverage.  I've added 2 x ASUS TR-AC66U and they are great to take my total WAP to 4.  I've now found than many of these consumer devices don't roam over multiple WAP (same SSID / Security Settings).  Another PITA.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 03:39:06 am »

Slow going but some progress:
- The Frames are still on order for the Nexus 7 2012 room stations (the framing material is out of stock)
- The Unit for the Kitchen has been made at the local pastics company and looks a lot more professional than my mock up (see pic)

Most importantly, in discussion with the developer of Android Intercom https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidintercom&hl=en he sounds keen to add some changes to his app that would then make it perfect for this! :)  I wonder if he likes python!

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 02:34:19 am »

All the devices are in and working and the feedback and use is interesting.  My kids use Gizmo on the 7" tablets to watch their TV Shows and some Movies from the server.  I find this odd as I've never been able to get then to use MC on their PC's but they use the tablets for this all the time.  They both still use their iPhones to listen to music.  My daughter has used the tablet for reading Kindle books as well (in the Kindle app).  I guess it shows that the form in this case beats function.  My wife has used the tablet in the study a couple of time but only for the Local Radio station using their own Android App.  I'm the only one that uses the Intercom (still stuck with Skype for now).

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 11:24:22 pm »

Quick update.  The usage pattern has settled down and the Kids use the Tablets all the time to consume media (mostly Video).  The wireless charging and wall plates are all great.  Downside is still the lack of a good intercom feature (Skype is pretty ordinary with this).

apgood

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Re: Build : Replacing an Traditional Home Intercom System with Tablets
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 11:35:04 pm »

Quick update.  The usage pattern has settled down and the Kids use the Tablets all the time to consume media (mostly Video).  The wireless charging and wall plates are all great.  Downside is still the lack of a good intercom feature (Skype is pretty ordinary with this).

You didn't have any luck with that Android Intercom app that you are still using Skype?  Lol... Couldn't be bribed with chooks? ;p

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 11:36:29 pm »

Well...  I have been in comms with the Dev only a week ago who says he is working on it (but got sidetracked)  8)

randycw

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 05:33:49 pm »

I wonder if you'd mind supplying a parts list of the final product?  i.e.  Nexus 7s in the bedrooms, I think, but what is charging them and how are you mounting them on the walls?

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 08:14:42 pm »

Parts List - Tablet
- $200: Nexus 7 Tablets (as they support Qi Wireless Charging)
- ElementalX Kernel.  You need to root the Nexus 7 and install this Kernal to get "Tap to Wake / Tap to Sleep" (eg you don't need to grope for the power button).
- Gismo, Kindle, LastFM etc for the apps you want

Parts List - Wall Mount
- $50: Qi Wireless Charging Pad (I purchased these but any 2a version should do)
- $50: I had a local Picture Frame shop make up the Frames.  The base board in the frame should be thin but strong (prototype used Laminex, last version used perspex)
- $2: Magnets behind the frame are 20mm/2mm
- $1: Magnets siliconed to the back of the Nexus 7 are 20mm/1mm

The power source needed for the Qi Charger is a std 5V/2A Micro USB.  My exisitng wiring was 12 Volt, so instead of changing my exisitng 12volt DC transformer, I also placed a 12 Volt --> 5Volt car adapter behind each frame.  If you have access to Mains you would just use the Mains --> USB charger that comes with the Qi Charger.

Assembly Tips

Take you tablet to the framer to get the frame made to the size you want (unless you are handy enough to make them yourself).  They recommended a Matt Finish due to gloss finishes attracting all the finger prints.  They did not have a suitable backboard (theirs was all cardboard) so I had to get some from a plastics mfr near by.  It was a bit thick so I had to dremel a "pocket" out the back to seat the Qi charger coil into it.  If the back board is too think the Qi charger will have problems charging the unit.

You have to dissemble the Qi charger to get the coil out.  This was not difficult and mine had some glow in the dark "feature LED" that I just snipped off.  I just duck taped this Qi Charger and the magnets on the back.  I'd suggest you silicon the magnets to the back of the Nexus first (make sure you measure them exactly so they are in the same place on each unit).  Then place it on the frame with the magnets on the back (but not yet fixed) so you can adjust the Nexus so it sits nicely and evenly in the frame, then tape down the magnets behind the frame, then position the Qi Charger coil, make sure it is also charging then tape it down (I used double sided tape for this bit).

You also need good WiFi coverage esp if it is to be used for Video.

Result
You now have wall mounted but removable tablets that can be swapped between the frames (eg you can have more frames than tablets).

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 08:34:23 pm »

Now the only reason I went wall mounts as I had:
- Brick Walls
- Recesses in the walls where the old Intercom system was
- Power to these recesses

If I did not need to cover these up, I would have just got desktop stands / chargers for whatever Tablet....  It was all about WAF.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 09:54:37 pm »

Pics or it didn't happen.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 11:12:21 pm »

Here are the latest but they look pretty much the same as the prototype pics posted earlier.  Looks great on the outside but pretty rough behind the scene!  Lots of Tape and a couple of speaker connectors to bridge the wiring (instead of terminal blocks as I was always taking them on and off to test).

randycw

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2014, 09:39:07 pm »

jmone, THANK YOU very much.  This helps me get some ideas.

Your finished product looks quite good.

You are streaming video from JRiver to the tablets successfully correct?
I have tried streaming video today from MC15 to my son's Asus TF101 (Android 4.0.2) using Gizmo, but Gizmo keeps complaining that I need to download Flash Player from the store.  I tried several different flash players and always received the same error in Gizmo.

Yes, I need to update MC, but I am having trouble there to.  When I have MC15 check for updates, it finds MC17 for $27.  I download it, installed it, and click purchase.  It launches a page for MC18 and I get caught in a loop of being unable to purchase.  I tried just going to MC19 and was going to buy it outright (rather than upgrade), but the fresh install loses all of my smart playlists and zone settings.  Thus far I am stuck with MC15 until I can sort out the upgrade path.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2014, 10:29:10 pm »

Yup - the kids use it primarily for Video and it works perfectly with no need to download anything.  You really need MC19.  Can you post your issues on Upgrading to MC19 on the main board in a new thread and it will get sorted.

connersw

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2014, 04:36:15 pm »

Are you playing audio straight out of the tablet or do you have it going to any inwall speakers?  I'm assuming it's the former.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 04:51:31 pm »

The normal use is just in the Inbuilt speaker (which is fine) but we have also used it with a Bluetooth Dock and Headphone Out.

randycw

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2014, 06:34:00 pm »

One big benefit of the Note range from Samsung is that it supports multi windows and with a bit of rooting you can force it to have say Gizmo on one side and a paging app on the other but more on the software choice later.

I like the multi windows support, but prefer the Nexus 7s for the tap or swipe to wake and the wireless charging.  Is this multi support limited to the Note series?  How many windows?

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 07:08:06 pm »

The Notes have these windows as a std feature but there are add ons for other tables as well (including the Nexus).  I find multi windows best on the 10"+ screens as it just as more real estate.

randycw

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2014, 03:10:13 pm »

Again, thank you for your help and this thread.  This has proven quite helpful to me and what I am doing in my home.

I now have 4 Nexus 7 tablets controlling the audio and video throughout out house/property.  These tablets have replaced Russound keypads.  I used the Cat5 that was there for the Russound to do PoE to a Qi charger, so the tablets are able to charge while on the wall.  (Your magnet idea works perfect)  Also the tap2wake feature is excellent!

The tablets control MC19.  MC19 distributes the audio to "zones" on the multichannel amps, the amps to in-wall speakers.  This just works great.

The tablets basically stay on the walls for audio control.  The kids pop them off the wall when they want MC19 to stream video to the tablet.

Well...  I have been in comms with the Dev only a week ago who says he is working on it (but got sidetracked)  8)

I'll be watching for posts from you for the progress on this front.  If this works out it will be another "must have" feature for me to implement.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2014, 03:42:39 pm »

Xlnt, any pics?  ;D

The tablets basically stay on the walls for audio control.  The kids pop them off the wall when they want MC19 to stream video to the tablet.

Yup, this is exactly how they kids use them as well.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2014, 04:08:22 pm »

Excellent News!

Hello Nathan,

I am writing in order to inform you that we have picked up the improvement and development activities on the mobile intercom app. We will post updates to you in person and also to the forum which you have provided in short time (~ 5-10 days). Thank you for your patience and interest

Regards.

randycw

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2014, 12:06:15 pm »

Here is the old controller -- it is the one from the garage, so it is a bit dirty from greasy fingers.  Also the empty box with the Cat5 cable.

randycw

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2014, 12:09:02 pm »

Here is the wireless power placed into the box.  Used PoE to accomplish this.
Then the final product.  I taped, textured and painted around the wireless charger.  Looks decent even when the tablet is off of the wall.  I'll try to get a picture soon.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2014, 01:40:33 pm »

Looks good!  You went for a Vertical Mounting I see?  How is the charging working with POE (I guess it is idea to run the Qi chargers.... I wish I had Ethernet not the 8 core analogue stuff from 25 years ago!)?
Thanks
Nathan

randycw

• Recent member
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2014, 02:02:20 pm »

The PoE has been working very well thus far (2 weeks solid now).  I used a product from wifiqos called a WS-POE-5v Kits.  It is meant for tablets, web cameras, etc.

Yes, the one in the living room is mounted vertical.  My wife preferred in that way -- said it looked better next to the tall window.  She also liked the weather and calendar on the main screen to be in a vertical position too.  The ones in the kids' bedrooms are mounted horizontally.  The Master bedroom's is vertical.  So, as you can tell, it is a bit of a mixed bag as far as mounting positions goes.

coatesw

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 10:07:46 pm »

I love what you have accomplished here.  I started browsing how to replace my 1980's Nutone home intercom system and ended up here.  I am a non technical gal who likes to renovate.  Unfortunately, my skills are on the construction side and non existent when it comes to anything remotely techy (I have been known to have trouble with my iphone 5 :( !).  May I ask, and perhaps I missed it in another post, but what did you do for your central "command station"?  Mine is of course a much bigger intercom system located on a wall in my kitchen.  Is your system set up so you can play music throughout your home and controlled by the main station if so desired?  That's kind of what I'm after.  Maybe this isn't the best set up for my application? I like to have music on all three levels of my home and stream Songza on wifi all day long.  The added benefit of having internet features at every station is a great bonus.  Do you have any advice? 

Thanks in advance, I enjoyed reading about your progress.  Well done!

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2014, 04:03:22 am »

Hi and Welcome!  

There are a few components to how this works, and the "Command Station" concept is replaced by a PC running MC as the "Server" (which holds all the content like the songs, videos etc).  Each of these tables then individually "pull" content using the free "Gizmo" add-on for Android from the PC, so each room is Independent so each user can watch or listen to their own content.  

At present there is no way to "push" content to all stations running Gizmo simultaneously though we have been bugging the developers to add these features (I primarily want it so we can "page" all stations like a traditional intercom) but this could potentially also work to have all stations play the same content.

The good news is such a system is affordable priced compared to Traditional Intercoms and much more flexible and much more Trendy but with all such stuff there is a learning curve.  MC is always under active development so keep an eye out as the software updates all the time with new features.

randycw

• Recent member
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2014, 09:59:48 pm »

Most importantly, in discussion with the developer of Android Intercom https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidintercom&hl=en he sounds keen to add some changes to his app that would then make it perfect for this! :) 

Any updates on this front?

I am in contact with a developer that is working on a Gizmo alternative.  The key piece he is working on at the moment is Zone Linking.  So one tablet/controller can control multiple zones, and those linked zones play the same content.  It certainly isn't an intercom system, but I like that I can "push" content to the kids' rooms occasionally.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2014, 03:38:00 am »

Yes - I've been in contact with that dev and he did start but said he got busy.

The good news is I've also been speaking with the "onbiron" Devs who are writing a app call "Wave" that is another Intercom app and over the last couple of weeks they have started incorporating the features we need. The latest update is on the app store now and the just added:
- Run on Startup is now working (runs as a service)
- Wake up from Standby is now working (eg when the screen is off)
- Cleaned up the UI
- added a "Donate" button

They are now working on:
- an "Auto Answer Setting" (a must have to an intercom so the receipienat does not have to "answer" the call)
- if you use the "Donate" button it will turn off the adds

Overall, my impressions at this stage it works pretty well, with good Sound and Vision Quality and it is nice a quick to both recognise stations on your network as available and to place the call.  Once the two features above are implemented I'll be dropping Skype like a ton of bricks!

The latest version is here - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onbiron.wave

I've tested it on a bunch of different Android Devices and they all worked.

Please give it a go as I'd appreciate any feedback you have.

jmone

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2014, 03:39:37 am »

...yes a Gizmo "push" would be terrific as I could then do the other simple things like push one stream (even a radio stream) to all stations!  Keep us updated on this!
Thanks
Nathan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up