INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD playback stutters when using convolution  (Read 4360 times)

tohovden

• Recent member
DVD playback stutters when using convolution
« on: October 25, 2013, 05:38:36 pm »

Hi,
I'm using convolution with an Audiolense generated filter for a 5.1 setup.

This is working just fine for blu-rays. When playing a DVD there's a lot of stuttering.

I've tried changing buffer size in audio option, ticking "Using large hardware buffers" on/off, the same with "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" and "Video clock" in video options. And of course various combinations of these settings.

But no luck.

I'm running WIN7 (64) and a Lynx two B sound card (which I have also changed buffer sizes for)  with ASIO.

Is there anywhere else I can look for a solution?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tohovden

• Recent member
Re: DVD playback stutters when using convolution
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 05:44:20 pm »

Thanks for a quick reply. Hope it can be fixed some day.

bobkatz

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 10:59:52 am »

Thanks for a quick reply. Hope it can be fixed some day.

My system has the same problem.  But who wants to play DVDs anyway with Blu-Rays looking and sounding so much better ;-).

Anyway, another vote here to try to get this fixed if possible. It's a bit awkward for me as I have several test DVDs which I use to align the system with, one of which has a special pink noise signal on it, but the stuttering makes it almost impossible to use and to test the convolver.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 11:15:44 am »

My system has the same problem.  But who wants to play DVDs anyway with Blu-Rays looking and sounding so much better ;-).
Kids  ;) . At least mine.

Anyway, another vote here to try to get this fixed if possible. It's a bit awkward for me as I have several test DVDs which I use to align the system with, one of which has a special pink noise signal on it, but the stuttering makes it almost impossible to use and to test the convolver.
Solving the problem would be best, but a handful of dvds can be ripped and put into mkvs without much work.

bobkatz

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 06:54:24 pm »

I'm quite a newbie at the topic of ripping and video formats. To attempt to solve this audio stuttering problem when playing a DVD with convolution I have successfully ripped a DVD to mkv format (using "Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate Mac"). And it doesn't stutter. HOWEVER, audio only plays in stereo and I can't get to the main menu of this DVD which is where you choose the audio format.

So it's damned if I do, damned if I don't. If I play the original DVD I get the menu and a stuttering surround sound. If I play the mkv I can't get to any format menu and I can't play the AC3.

Ironically, Wondershare gives the option of creating an MKV for one of the titles in AC3 or in LPCM and of course I chose AC3. But it did not seem to catch.

Perhaps this is something to do with this unique DVD disc. Should I try to rip another? Is there any other format that JRiver will play cleanly with the convolver and extract the surround data?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 07:05:22 pm »

I'm quite a newbie at the topic of ripping and video formats. To attempt to solve this audio stuttering problem when playing a DVD with convolution I have successfully ripped a DVD to mkv format (using "Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate Mac"). And it doesn't stutter. HOWEVER, audio only plays in stereo and I can't get to the main menu of this DVD which is where you choose the audio format.

So it's damned if I do, damned if I don't. If I play the original DVD I get the menu and a stuttering surround sound. If I play the mkv I can't get to any format menu and I can't play the AC3.

Ironically, Wondershare gives the option of creating an MKV for one of the titles in AC3 or in LPCM and of course I chose AC3. But it did not seem to catch.

Perhaps this is something to do with this unique DVD disc. Should I try to rip another? Is there any other format that JRiver will play cleanly with the convolver and extract the surround data?

I'm not aware of a way to keep interactive DVD menus in .mkv files, but you may have successfully ripped the surround stream as well as the 2-channel stream and JRiver is just defaulting to stereo.  Try right clicking in JRiver while the DVD is playing to see if there are different audio streams available.

Also, if you rip the DVD in it's native file structure (vob/ifo/bup rather than .mkv) using AnyDVD or a similar program, the ripped disc should work just like the actual disc (i.e. it will still have the DVD menu, etc.).  Not sure if the rip will have the same stuttering problem, but I haven't had stuttering when using straight rips with my own convolution setup (I may just be lucky, or have a short convolution filter).

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 08:51:35 pm »

I am not familiar with the program you tried, but MakeMKV has not given me any trouble when ripping DVDs.

It retains the original audio without doing any downmixing or conversion - though you still lose the menus when converting to MKV. The same applies to the video - no conversion at all. You're just putting the DVD audio and video tracks into an MKV container.

I don't think there's any way to keep the menus without encountering the same problems with convolution.

bobkatz

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 09:48:25 am »

I am not familiar with the program you tried, but MakeMKV has not given me any trouble when ripping DVDs.

It retains the original audio without doing any downmixing or conversion - though you still lose the menus when converting to MKV. The same applies to the video - no conversion at all. You're just putting the DVD audio and video tracks into an MKV container.

I don't think there's any way to keep the menus without encountering the same problems with convolution.

Thanks for that advice. I wonder how MakeMKV does with DVDs that have multiple audio track formats (as do many). Such as different languages. Well, with languages, with luck the up and down arrow will allow a change within JRiver. First I'll test Wondershare with a different DVD and if it works I'll chalk it up to problems with this particular DVD. Then I'll try MakeMKV if necessary.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 10:05:14 am »

Thanks for that advice. I wonder how MakeMKV does with DVDs that have multiple audio track formats (as do many). Such as different languages. Well, with languages, with luck the up and down arrow will allow a change within JRiver. First I'll test Wondershare with a different DVD and if it works I'll chalk it up to problems with this particular DVD. Then I'll try MakeMKV if necessary.
You can select from any of the audio/subtitle tracks on the disc that you want to keep in MakeMKV. I typically only rip the highest quality track with the most number of channels. (e.g. DD5.1 only, and skip the DD2.0 track) On Windows, it's basically the "standard" tool for ripping DVD to MKV now.

The one thing I will warn you about is that when you're ripping DVDs, a limited number of discs actually use a single subtitle track, and selectively enable parts of it by default for non-English sections.

E.g. a film where the majority is in English, but two characters say something to each other in Spanish. (or any other language)
On most discs, this is either burned into the video, contained in a separate subtitle track with only those parts (and another for full English subtitles) or is not considered relevant to the story. (e.g. it will be subtitled with "[Converses in Spanish]" or similar)

Some use the full English subtitle track but only have the sections where Spanish is spoken enabled by default. Discs that do this currently need the menus to work correctly. I only have one DVD which does this though, so it's not very common.

bobkatz

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 08:44:06 am »

Dear 6233638...

Is that your first or your last name?  :-)

But seriously, your advice has helped tremendously. I wish I had not spent good money on "Wondershare Ultimate" because it purported to do what MAKEMKV has done. MAKEMKV has given me an up/down menu with choice of the sound track and it plays the AC3 perfectly!

Many thanks for MAKEMKV. Any idea on why they are doing this as a beta which has to be renewed every few months? (I am using the Mac Version).

Bob

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 11:34:04 am »

I'm glad that worked for you - I actually forgot that they had a Mac version. I just assumed that since you were talking about video playback, you must have access to Windows.

I'm not sure why it's still in beta, but I believe DVD ripping is free - at least until the beta period is over.

bobkatz

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 01:22:57 pm »

I could have used the windows version of MakeMKV but it's more convenient for me to do my DVD ripping on a MacBook Pro. I run JRiver on Windows, so life is very ecumenical around here.

BK

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 03:53:04 pm »

I'm not sure why it's still in beta, but I believe DVD ripping is free - at least until the beta period is over.

It has been in "beta" for a LONG time.

I think they're retaining the option to eventually sell it, but they're probably afraid of getting creamed legally by the DMCA if they ever do sell it.  I'd guess they're trying to figure out how to incorporate in a place that doesn't honor the DMCA and protect themselves, but who knows.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up