INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to update drive letter in particle (stacks)  (Read 1969 times)

MazMX5

• Recent member
How to update drive letter in particle (stacks)
« on: October 27, 2013, 04:59:31 pm »

Hi,

I recently rebuilt my media server. I needed to give the drive array where the media files are saved a different drive letter. Within Media Center 19 I have several thousand particles created. One for each episode on a blu-ray or DVD disk (ISO image).

Unfortunately I cannot find a way to update the path for each particle, only the parent stack (using the 'rename, move & copy files feature).  ? I have also tried using 'Find and Replace' and expression editing without success. Obviously I do not want to edit each record separately!

Can someone help please?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to update drive letter in particle (stacks)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 05:32:36 pm »

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 10:44:47 pm »

"Rename, Move, & Copy Files" does not work on Particles and is one of several things with Particles on the list of stuff that Matt plans to look at (no time frame yet)....  You can edit them manually but that takes me forever but MrC posted a workaround for me (I needed to remove part of the path "\BackedUp" but this method may work for you.

Good Luck!
Nathan

First, disable auto-import and have MC not fix broken links.  This is important.

In a view, show all the files you want changed, including their particles and even artwork.

Select all the files, and in the tag action window, edit the Filename (path) field.  Enter an expression that will change the path to your needs.  For example:

=replace([filename (path)], \BackedUp\, \)

You might be tempted to manually change the name.  Don't.  Use an expression like that above to do the assignment; you're going to use it again so that conditional changes are made.

As soon as you hit enter, confirm you want MC to change the field (shown as Filename).  MC will then get grumpy, complaining about a tagging error for the real files.  Laugh at it, and click OK.  You'll notice that the path to your particle files no longer match the path to the main file.

You can have MC remove the empty folders when it asks.

Now, here's the trick.  Do the same thing again, with the same expression and you're all done.  Since the expression above is semi-conditional (it can only change \BackedUp\ if it exists in the path), the fixup will complete the broken paths.

If the expression above is insufficient to ensure pass 2 will only hit the remaining files, it needs to be modified appropriately.
JRiver CEO Elect

MazMX5

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 05:24:53 am »

Hi,
I tried the various options suggested by JimH, unfortunately none of them worked. I have tried the expression suggested below, but the results are strange.

I believe the expression I need is:
=replace([filename(path)],D:\,E:\)     - note: I tried various formatting, including spaces, quotes etc
I tried this in the filename (path) field.

The result was:
[filename(path)]\disk1.iso

If I try the function a second time, nothing happens (which seems correct as no matches are found).  Not sure what's happening here? I wonder if it works differently in MC18?

Andy

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 09:24:13 am »

[filename (path)]  - you forgot a space.

Also, i think you should leave out the \ from D:\ and E:\.
Pages: [1]   Go Up