INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some things I would like to see...  (Read 2912 times)

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
Some things I would like to see...
« on: November 04, 2013, 07:09:42 am »

Hi there,  

These are things that I have written about in the past and would like to see in this or future versions of MC

1 - webgizmo - I allow family members to access my server to watch movies but I do NOT want them to have any control except to "Play to this location".  thus, each time an update comes up I have to modify the mode.html file (C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 18\Data\Library Server\Gizmo\Default\mode.html) and commented out these lines

<!-- begin: loop(z, 0, [ZoneCount] - 1) -->
<!--           <div class="griditem" >          -->
<!--             <div class="title">          -->
<!--                <a onClick="set_cookie('mode', 'remote([Zone([z]).ID])', 365)" href="library.html">[Zone([z]).Name][/url]       -->
<!--             </div>       -->
<!--          </div>       -->
<!-- end: loop -->

Having a "Guest" version of webgizmo with its own link would be nice

2 - Improved autotagging for videos (This was discussed here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79701.msg541890#msg541890

When video files of TV episodes are tagged, it works perfectly when a file has a name such as "house.of.lies.s02e11.hdtv.x264-2hd.mp4"

However, when a filename is such as "arrow.204.hdtv-lol.mp4" then no tagging is done (name becomes Arrow.204; series, episode, and season are blank).  

When will Carnac be updated/fixed to correct these naming issues?

DONE

3 - Monitoring connected devices as discussed here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78510.msg533889#msg533889

In the OVERVIEW, one can see all media servers that are connected to JRiver.  However, one can not see information regarding connected devices using webgizmo or other ipad apps.  Is there a way to see this info on the host computer?  This seems to be an important missing element.

4 - Transcoding improvements.  I must still use airvideo to transcode from avi to mp4 for my IPad.  It works great, but I would much prefer NOT to have to have 2 servers running on my computer (JRiver and Airvideo).  I am unable to view videos on my Samsung Galaxy S4 (music works great).

As I have noted in the past, MC is probably the best piece of software that I have on my computer.  I show it to everyone and I know several people who have now purchased it.  My comments/suggestions are meant as recommendations to make the software even better and not as criticisms.

Dave

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Some things I would like to see...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 07:53:24 pm »

This was posted a while ago but did not receive any feedback/comments.  I am still hoping to see these items in future versions.

Matt?  Any comments?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 08:35:37 pm »

Good ideas.

As a start, #2 is on my list.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 08:36:23 pm »

1 - webgizmo -

I don't really need this, personally, but it seems like a nice idea.  Especially since it can be accomplished via a relatively simple HTML change.

I should add:  When my daughter is older, I might appreciate it a bunch more.  Until I've been given sufficient time to indoctrinate her with my methodology, of course.  After that, she'll become my tagging slave.

2 - Improved autotagging for videos
When video files of TV episodes are tagged, it works perfectly when a file has a name such as "house.of.lies.s02e11.hdtv.x264-2hd.mp4"

However, when a filename is such as "arrow.204.hdtv-lol.mp4" then no tagging is done (name becomes Arrow.204; series, episode, and season are blank).

+1

3 - Monitoring connected devices

Is there a way to see this info on the host computer?  This seems to be an important missing element.

Don't care.

4 - Transcoding improvements.

+1000

They've already said this is one of the goals for MC19.  I hope it doesn't get left behind, but I'm willing to give it time to be done right.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rlebrette

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 05:57:36 am »

1 - webgizmo - I allow family members to access my server to watch movies but I do NOT want them to have any control except to "Play to this location".  thus, each time an update comes up I have to modify the mode.html file (C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 18\Data\Library Server\Gizmo\Default\mode.html) and commented out these lines

<!--           <div class="griditem" >          -->
<!--             <div class="title">          -->
<!--                <a onClick="set_cookie('mode', 'remote([Zone([z]).ID])', 365)" href="library.html">[Zone([z]).Name][/url]       -->
<!--             </div>       -->
<!--          </div>       -->

Did you try to duplicate the Gizmo default skin to another one like  "guest" and just switch to this new skin containing your update?
I've a customized skin (totally different from the default one) that's never overwritten when I update MC.

hint: to simplify the maintenance of this skin, I've created a soft link (junction) from the Gizmo skin directory to a different location on my hard drive.

rlebrette

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 06:04:17 am »

By the way I would be happy to have some feedback about some features I would like to see improved in the web engine (cf http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85325.0)

connersw

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 08:33:48 am »

1 - webgizmo - I allow family members to access my server to watch movies but I do NOT want them to have any control except to "Play to this location".  thus, each time an update comes up I have to modify the mode.html file (C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 18\Data\Library Server\Gizmo\Default\mode.html) and commented out these lines

<!--           <div class="griditem" >          -->
<!--             <div class="title">          -->
<!--                <a onClick="set_cookie('mode', 'remote([Zone([z]).ID])', 365)" href="library.html">[Zone([z]).Name][/url]       -->
<!--             </div>       -->
<!--          </div>       -->

Ideally, it would be great if this could be flushed out even further in both Gizmo and Webgizmo using the new User feature.  Certain Users would then not only have the ability to only play to this location, but also only have access to certain parts of the library. 

rlebrette: I would be very interested in seeing what you come up with for customized skins.  I've never seen a Gizmo skin other than the default.

rlebrette

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 02:20:27 am »

I will provide some screenshots later this week. The final version will be freely available.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 12:52:32 pm »

HI there,

I am thrilled that I was able to cross off one of the items from my suggestion list.

Would love to be able to cross off another item :)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 04:35:07 pm »

3 - Monitoring connected devices as discussed here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78510.msg533889#msg533889

In the OVERVIEW, one can see all media servers that are connected to JRiver.  However, one can not see information regarding connected devices using webgizmo or other ipad apps.  Is there a way to see this info on the host computer?  This seems to be an important missing element.

This is kinda important, because the apps (like JRemote) can actually see everything that's playing from any particular MC server. It would be nice if the server itself could see everything too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up