INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is MC also a pro audio app?  (Read 2814 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Is MC also a pro audio app?
« on: November 21, 2013, 10:40:43 am »

If video is your thing - MC provides an awesome movie experience for the family - but it's simply not a studio grade tool.
JRiver is used in pro audio settings because it is one of the few programs that offers complete decoding for audio/video and VST plugin supports. Bob Katz said, "I'm very impressed by the flexibility of JRiver Media Center, which has more features and better reliability than most "professional" audio programs I use! I spent all day Friday and Saturday calibrating the system using the JRiver Parametric for all routing and crossover. "

Good luck with the search.
Matt added the feature he was asking for. Isn't the search over?

In a coming build:
Changed: VST effect settings and presets are stored per-zone (sorry, but you may need to reconfigure your VST effects one time)

Vocalpoint

Is MC also a pro audio app?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 11:09:09 am »

JRiver is used in pro audio settings because it is one of the few programs that offers complete decoding for audio/video and VST plugin supports. Bob Katz said, "I'm very impressed by the flexibility of JRiver Media Center, which has more features and better reliability than most "professional" audio programs I use!

Understood. However - I am not debating the "worthiness" of MC in pro audio - merely reporting my experience in actual day to day situations with my circle of colleagues in actual studios. While I cannot speak to whether or not the guys/gals I work with have heard of MC - I can tell you with 100% certainty that I have not seen it used within a professional context.

That Bob Katz thinks the MC toolkit rivals pro audio apps is wonderful. I think the MC toolkit is awesome as well - but I just do not see it as a pro audio application.

VP

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: Is MC also a pro audio app?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 01:27:31 pm »

For historical reasons, audio professionals use Macs.

JRiver MC was a Windows app until recently, so it was off the radar for audio professionals.

Also, JRiver tends to ignore reported bugs that they are not interested in fixing, which is not acceptable to audio professionals.  Yes, all software companies prioritize marketable features over bug fixing, but there seems to be very little resistance here to that tendency.

If that sounds harsh, consider that JRiver has no bug logging.   Even $1 apps have support ticket systems and bug databases (such as https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ ).

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 01:47:27 pm »

If that sounds harsh, consider that JRiver has no bug logging.   Even $1 apps have support ticket systems and bug databases (such as https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ ).

The presence of such a bug tracker doesn't change how a company works, at all.
In fact, in my experience public bug trackers are not generally all that useful, unless you're willing to invest a whole lot of effort into maintaining them - or it'll slowly degrade into an unsorted mess of unanswered tickets.

The problem is that users are usually notoriously bad at reporting bugs - and thats OK, since they are users, and not developers.
Having such a forum like Interact with many great people here willing to spend a bit of their free time helping others will automatically filter out those users that just need a bit of support, and reveal those that actually found a bug. This doesn't work on a bug tracker.

Anyway, don't misinterpret the lack of a public bug tracker as a lack of interest in fixing bugs. There is just no list of bugs for you to look at, but who says we don't have one? :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Henglander

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 02:29:47 pm »

...but who says we don't have one? :)

The endless paragraphs justifying why the are not of use.

dean70

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 03:06:09 pm »

Anyway, don't misinterpret the lack of a public bug tracker as a lack of interest in fixing bugs. There is just no list of bugs for you to look at, but who says we don't have one? :)

Maybe that could be on a read-only section of the forum with a current status, eg: fixed, in progress, pending, etc? At least the users would have some visibility of what has been acknowledged as a bug or defect.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 03:24:18 pm »

The endless paragraphs justifying why the are not of use.

I'm pretty sure Matt said before that they do have a tracking system of some kind that they use internally.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 04:03:15 pm »

Matt unfortunately erased the bug list on the whiteboard.

The opinions I express represent my own folly.

nitephlight

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Re: Is MC also a pro audio app?
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 01:33:26 am »

Matt unfortunately erased the bug list on the whiteboard.

that's what my bug board looks like too- except you can always see  sad erased outlines of what used to be your to-dos.. lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up