INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to control MC19 and DLNA?  (Read 1451 times)

jphilpit

• Recent member
Best way to control MC19 and DLNA?
« on: November 23, 2013, 03:26:33 pm »

I currently have MC 19 successfully sending FLAC files from my PC to my DLNA-complaint A/V Receiver in the other room (over a 10-meter Ethernet cable). But I hate having to walk to the receiver's IR remote and to read the lists of composers, albums, and tracks on the TV screen. (I have 2 zones of speakers, so I hear the music in both rooms.)

Questions:
#1. Is there a way to "push" music from MC19 to my DLNA player? That is, can I sit at my computer and select a track or album to listen to? Or is the only possibility to have the SLNA player "pull" the music you select in its control interface? If this is available, I haven't found it yet.

#2. If pulling is the only option, do I have to use the control app provided by the maker of the DLNA-compliant player? Or is there a generic DLNA control app? I ask because I've bought, but not yet received, a Naim network player whose graphical app runs only on iOS devices. I could buy an iPod touch that I use only for this purpose, but that seems like a wasted $300 if there's something that would run on my Windows 8 phone on or my Android tablet. (I see elsewhere on this forum that there are MC controllers on those other platforms, but they seem to be for playing directly from MC and not via DLNA.)

Thanks in advance for any help,
John

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Best way to control MC19 and DLNA?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 04:00:22 pm »

Both depend on what the device supports.  For #1, you need to "push" to a device that is a DLNA Renderer.

The wiki has a topic on DLNA.

For #2, if your device is a DLNA Renderer, any DLNA Controller should work.

In general, try things.  MC can be used as a DLNA Server, DLNA Renderer, or DLNA Controller.
Pages: [1]   Go Up