INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change Behavior of "Number Plays" for Video and Audio  (Read 8941 times)

Al ex

• Citizen of the Universe
Change Behavior of "Number Plays" for Video and Audio
« on: December 12, 2013, 02:05:51 am »

Hi,

I am just converting all videos to MP4 and from time to time, I am checking, if the movie works at all after finishing a job. This also increases the "Number Plays" counter. I know how to reset/change the counter in the tags - fine.

Anyway, I want to change the sensitivity of the counter, i.e., the counter shall not be incremented by 1 before 90% of the movie is "watched".

I darkly remember that this percentage value can be changed for the audio files, however, I could not find it anymore in the settings - neither for Audio, and also not for Video.

Where is that? Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Change Behavior of "Number Plays" for Video and Audio
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 09:45:04 am »

I darkly remember that this percentage value can be changed for the audio files, however, I could not find it anymore in the settings - neither for Audio, and also not for Video.

Your memory is faulty.

You can't and never could.

One thing you may want to look into is using the Watched() status, rather than the [Number of Plays] field to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish.  It works, basically, like you're looking to have [Number of Plays] to work (90% = watched).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Al ex

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:49:30 am »

I think this is exactly what I was looking for, and what I wanted to refer to, Glynor: the "watched status", which triggers, when the "Number Plays" changes.

Where can I find that?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 02:50:18 pm »

Can you describe where you want to use this information?

I can show you how I have mine set up later, but it would be good to better understand where you want to use the data.

Al ex

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 05:24:42 pm »

Thanks glynor.

I simply want to avoid that "number plays" increments by 1, when I am checking a new video (but also audio). I thought I remember that somewhere I can set a percentage for "incrementing after watching/listening x min/%".

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 01:07:50 am »

I meant, where inside Media Center were you trying to use [Number Plays] that makes you want to change its behavior?  With the latest builds, you can manually reset it easily (finally), but you can't change how it is tracked.  But you don't need to, usually.

Wherever you were planning to use [Number Plays] (whatever you were looking at it to determine whether you watched the file or not), you can use the Watched() expression, or a modification of it, instead.  [Number Plays] is designed to be just what it says: A counter of the number of times MC has played a file.  The Watched() expression is more what you're looking for: It outputs a status of the percentage watched, based on the Bookmark in the file (where the "saved playhead" is in the file), or a checkmark if you've watched the whole file (defined as 95% or greater, or something like that).  So, for example, if you view it directly on a partially watched file, it will output something like:

57% on Sep 25

But it outputs a checkmark for files that have been fully watched.  It is used by default to add the checkmarks in Theater View, but you can use it other places as well (including in a column).  This percentage counter resets if you move the bookmark in the file, so you can just rewind the file (or double-click stop to completely clear the bookmark). This makes it easy to track which files you've actually watched, compared to those that you've just previewed.  It is pretty good on its own, but it has other modes, though, and can ouptut other things, depending on the option used.

One option is to use it in the preset TVInfo(WatchedDisplay) expression, which formats it with the percentage (if it is less than 99% watched, I believe) and just the date if it is fully watched:

TVInfo(WatchedDisplay)

That will show up like this when used as a column:

But, if you don't like the way that formats, or the percentages used, you can reformat it yourself, if you're clever with an expression.  You can use the percentage output by the Watched(0) version of the expression to generate your own system.  For example, I have a custom calculated field called [Watched Percentage] that uses this expression:

ifelse(isequal(watched(1), 2), regex(Watched(0), /#(\d+)%#/, -1)/ if(isrange([R1], 5-90),[R1]%,✔))

I use this in Theater View (in the file info panel for video files), where it outputs this kind of thing:

As you can see, it outputs a checkmark if the percentage watched is more than 90%, and the percentage watched if it is between 50-90%.  It also outputs nothing at all if the percentage watched is less than 50%.  This last bit allows you to set it to Hide when the Value is Empty, in the File Info Panel, and then that line just doesn't even show for shows that haven't been watched yet (or, less than 50% anyway):

Note: I found I had to wrap it here in a Clean() expression to remove extra leading spaces in some cases.  That was the simplest solution, anyway.

Incidentally, the expression I use for the Plays field you see there is also pretty fancy.  It outputs the number of plays, and then also tells you the last played date together:

if(isEmpty([Number Plays]), never played, [Number Plays] plays (last  if(compare(math(now() - [Last Played, 0]), <, 365), FormatDate([Last Played, 0], MMM dd, never)/), FormatDate([Last Played, 0], yyyy, never)/)))

For dates less than 1 year ago, it outputs the date last played (as you can see above).  For dates more than 1 year ago, it truncates it to just the year last played, as such:

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 01:14:40 am »

So, between the Watched Percentage field I made, and the specially handled [Number Plays], I can easily tell if I just previewed a file, or if I've actually watched it.  I can also see when the last time I watched a file is, with it nicely formatted to still fit in a small place and tell me the relevant information I need to know at a glance.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 12:33:33 pm »

I'd actually love some more help with this...

Right now, my special [Watched Percentage] thing doesn't "trigger" until the file has been played at least 50%.  And it doesn't actually "untrigger" when you rewind it and reset the bookmark, once it has gotten the fully watched Checkmark.  That's not actually quite the way I want it, but I'm not sure what to do.  If anyone has any suggestions (cough...MrC...cough), I'd be very grateful.  I'd really like for it to:

1. Show the Percentage Watched (percentage completed of the current Bookmark) for all files that have [Number Plays] > 0 and a watched percentage of between 5-90%.

2. Show a Checkmark if the file is "fully watched" (greater than 90%).

3. Output nothing at all if [Number Plays] is 0 or if the Bookmark is less than 5% of the way in (because sometimes I watch a little, or the tail end of the previous show gets on the wrong file, or something).

I could construct this using Math on the Bookmark itself (calculate the percentage manually, rather than use the Watched() expression's output).  The issue here is that when you really fully watch an episode (all the way or very close to the end), MC's automatic bookmarking system resets the file's Bookmark back to "zero" (technically, it is removed, I believe).  My dumb previous attempt at this caused this to mean the file went from fully watched to blank (not watched at all), whenever MC decided to reset the Bookmark when I stopped playing the file.

I suspect there's a way to do this, combining the Watched() logic with the logic I've described above built manually, but I haven't figured it out and managed to build an expression that does exactly what I want.  I think I want something like:

If [Number Plays] > 0, then...
    If Math() on [Bookmark] is between 5-90%, output the percentage just by itself, like 58%.
    If [Bookmark] > 90%, output a checkmark.
    If [Bookmark] is < 5%, then...
        If Watched(1) == 2 (which means it had previously been fully watched), then output a checkmark.
        Else output a null value (nothing at all)
Else (so then [Number Plays] == 0), then output a null value (nothing at all).

With that, it would work just the way I want, and I could (now) easily reset my [Watched Percentage] checkmarks whenever I want by simply resetting [Number Plays] back to zero (and not mucking with the Bookmark at all if I don't want to).

I'm sure I could figure it out with some elbow grease, but... If some kind soul should happen by...

MrC

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 12:42:03 pm »

I simply want to avoid that "number plays" increments by 1, when I am checking a new video (but also audio). I thought I remember that somewhere I can set a percentage for "incrementing after watching/listening x min/%".

There is no adjusting the 90% threshold - its built into MC.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 12:51:41 pm »

I actually tweaked my special [Plays] calculated field, so I figured I'd repost them.  What I'm using now are two custom calculated fields:

[Plays] (Displays "Plays")
Calculated Expression:
Code: [Select]
if(isEmpty([Number Plays]), never played, [Number Plays] plays (last if(compare(math(now() - [Last Played, 0]), <, 365), FormatDate([Last Played, 0], MMM dd, unknown)/), FormatDate([Last Played, 0], yyyy, unknown)/)))
That one works great.  The other one is...

[Watched Percent] (Displays "Watched")
Calculated Expression:
ifelse(isequal(watched(1), 2), regex(Watched(0), /#(\d+)%#/, -1)/ if(isrange([R1], 5-90),[R1]%,✔))
It is the second one that needs tweaking, if it can be figured out...  I kind of remember the Watched(2) == 2 check working in unexpected ways before when I tried this, though.  :-\

MrC

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 12:51:59 pm »

The issue here is that when you really fully watch an episode (all the way or very close to the end), MC's automatic bookmarking system resets the file's Bookmark back to "zero" (technically, it is removed, I believe).

So then, this:

If [Bookmark] > 90%, output a checkmark.

should really be:

If (isempty([Bookmark]) AND [Number Plays] > 0) OR [Bookmark] > 90%, output a checkmark.

Right?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 01:04:00 pm »

If (isempty([Bookmark]) AND [Number Plays] > 0) OR [Bookmark] > 90%, output a checkmark.

Not quite.

Because what about the condition where [Number Plays] > 0 and [Bookmark] is 0-5%, but the file had never been fully played before?  So, in this case, Watched() just used by itself would have never triggered, even though I checked through a little of it (but never the "whole way" I guess?).  As it is, these work "right" and I don't need to care about [Number Plays] or manually reset anything when I "check" them, or preview them a little, as long as I don't go too far (maybe 50% of the way through).

I'd have a whole bunch of files with [Number Plays] > 0 and [Bookmark] == 0 or between 0-5%.  I often "check" the beginning of files to see if they recorded nicely.  Right now, with my existing custom [Watched Percentage] expression, these still automatically come out blank, and I don't want to lose that.  But, the problem with the current one is that it doesn't trigger at all until I get more than 50% through, which I don't like.  I want it to show 10% and whatnot, but it ignores the 5-49% part of my expression above.  I think because of the Watched(1) check, not triggering until it is at least 50%.

It occurs to me it'd be easier if we split off the Bookmark percentage math into a separate expression.  So, I'd be looking at:

If [Number Plays] == 0 then output Blank and stop.
Else...
If [Bookmark Percent] > 90 then output Checkmark.
If [Bookmark Percent] <=  5, output a checkmark only if both of these conditions are true:

1. Watched(1) > 1
2. [Number Plays] > 0

Else (if percentage is 0-5, but one of those two tests fails) output blank.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 01:05:52 pm »

The one part I'm not 100% clear on is this:

1. Watched(1) > 1

I might need this to be Watched(1) > 0 instead.  I'm not sure how it decides on percentage watched versus fully watched.  It seemed somewhat counter-intuitive last I tried to mess with it, if I remember correctly, but I don't remember the details.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 01:12:32 pm »

Because what about the condition where [Number Plays] > 0 and [Bookmark] is 0-5%, but the file had never been fully played before?  So, in this case, Watched() just used by itself would have never triggered, even though I checked through a little of it (but never the "whole way" I guess?).  As it is, these work "right" and I don't need to care about [Number Plays] or manually reset anything when I "check" them, or preview them a little, as long as I don't go too far (maybe 50% of the way through).

I think this is why when you helped me with this before, we used the preformatted "human-readable" version of Watched() and RegEx-ed out the percentage, rather than calculating it via the [Bookmark].  But I really think there has to be a way to do both, and get me the 5-49% watched percentage.

That's what I'm missing, and it is a pain to reset them because I don't think [Number Plays] alone does it, I think you need to clear [Last Played] too, or something.  I should test that part.

MrC

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 01:25:03 pm »

I'm not sure where you're at currently.

The Watched() function just pretty-prints a human interpretation of the various fields Bookmark, Last Played, Number Plays.  So you can do entirely without it and do all the formatting yourself based on the states you need.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 01:28:15 pm »

Hmmm... Okay.  Let me test briefly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 01:38:06 pm »

Okay, I figured it out.  I think you're right.  The special behavior I was attributing to Watched(1) is actually just the result of [Number Plays].

[Number Plays] doesn't increment until you play it more than 50%.

This is actually both good and a problem.

It is good because it keeps files that haven't been played very much from ending up with the Watched Checkmark, because [Number Plays] stays at zero.
It is bad because it keeps files that have been played from 5-50% from getting any kind of percentage at all, because [Number Plays] is zero.

I want it to always output the [Bookmark Percentage] when the result is 6-89%, regardless of [Number Plays].
I want it to output nothing if [Number Plays] == 0 AND [Bookmark Percentage] < 5%.
I want it to output a checkmark if [Number Plays] > 0 AND...
     If [Bookmark Percentage] <= 5% OR [Bookmark Percentage] >= 90%.

Does this make sense?

[Last Played] is used by the Watched() thing, I think you're right, but I don't need that part.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 01:39:39 pm »

So, I need a [Bookmark Percentage] field first, that just outputs the raw Bookmark Percentage number no matter what.

Then, I can modify my [Watched Percentage] field to use it, with that logic (formatting the output nicely with the extra % sign and whatnot when needed).

MrC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 02:23:08 pm »

Okay, so that helps.  Now I have a working [Bookmark Percentage] field, that works no matter what.

Now, I want to use it to build this:

I want it to always output the [Bookmark Percentage] when the result is 6-89%, regardless of [Number Plays].
I want it to output nothing if [Number Plays] == 0 AND [Bookmark Percentage] < 5%.
I want it to output a checkmark if [Number Plays] > 0 AND...
     If [Bookmark Percentage] <= 5% OR [Bookmark Percentage] >= 90%.

So, working...

MrC

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 02:26:17 pm »

Looks like a sequence of IfElse's.

For this:

Use a concatenation trick:

if(compare([Number Plays,0].[Bookmark Percentage], <, 0.05), ...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 02:36:28 pm »

if(compare([Number Plays,0].[Bookmark Percentage], <, 0.05), ...

Not working.  If I do just

[Number Plays].[Bookmark Pecentage]

It results like the attached screenshot.  It isn't outputting the field [Bookmark Percentage] at all, and when [Number Plays] is zero, then it is empty there.  It isn't using it as a number, so it doesn't work when you compare() either (obviously).

MrC

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 02:37:43 pm »

I assumed that was the name of the new field you created.  If you don't have that field, just use the expression.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 02:39:11 pm »

I assumed that was the name of the new field you created.  If you don't have that field, just use the expression.

No, it is.

Look at the Column just next to it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2013, 02:39:54 pm »

Like this (and it works fine, that's the column next to it I added for testing).

MrC

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 02:44:34 pm »

I don't know what a Pecentage is.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2013, 02:50:59 pm »

If I do this instead, it kinda works right, but I still don't think the compare works.

[Number Plays].Math(round(([Bookmark] / ([Duration, 0] * 1000)) * 100))

But when I try to test the Compare, I get:

Shouldn't that one in the middle with the [Bookmark Percentage] of 2 and [Number of Plays] == 0 output a No?  I think it is because it is "text" and MC is evaluating the Greater Than as always true, because it isn't a "number".

MrC

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2013, 02:57:18 pm »

You're using [Number Plays], when the above says to use [Number Plays,0].

Test again your Bookmark Percentage field (with your typo Pecentage corrected).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2013, 02:59:31 pm »

Aha!

Okay, will do.  But my daughter just woke up so I'm out of time in a second.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2013, 03:06:02 pm »

Hmmm... Using this:

[Number Plays,0].[Bookmark Percentage]

Still doesn't work (outputs things like 1.[Bookmark Percentage] still like the above screenshot).  Using this instead,

[Number Plays,0].Math(round(([Bookmark] / ([Duration, 0] * 1000)) * 100))
Is stripping out zeroes, making what should be 0.02 into .2 and what should be 2.04 into 2.4.   ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2013, 03:08:15 pm »

Maybe I need to permanently pad my [Bookmark Percentage] field?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2013, 03:11:07 pm »

Woohoo!  That seemed to fix it, and now I can just use this:

That's an improvement.  Now to see if I can test the compare.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2013, 03:13:38 pm »

Brilliant.

One step along the way...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 01:14:49 am »

Okay, I got it exactly the way I want it.  And the system is fairly flexible, so others can modify it as needed.

More coming in a separate thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85974.0

Pages: [1]   Go Up