INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Get well, Matt.  (Read 155794 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Get well, Matt.
« Reply #200 on: January 14, 2014, 06:28:34 pm »

I stopped by Matt's room today.  He still looks like he's sleeping, but he looks good.  He has a line of very small staples in the side of his head where they made an incision, and for now, he has a piece of his skull bone removed, waiting for a day in the future when it will be returned.  You wouldn't know it to see him, except for the staples.  They look a little like a zipper.

I met his parents today for the first time.  I can see where Matt gets his good nature and intelligence.

A group of doctors stopped by while I was there.  They didn't have much to say.

He's breathing on his own, and seems stable.  That's a lot of progress, and I'm very glad about it. 

rossop

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2014, 07:47:58 pm »

Get well soon, Matt :-*

shAf

« Reply #202 on: January 14, 2014, 08:17:10 pm »

We miss you!!
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2014, 09:38:23 pm »

I wanted to comment on Brooke's poignant post on CaringBridge from yesterday:

I got the feeling while sitting and talking with him that he is struggling with coming to terms with his situation. Maybe he's just now realizing what he's in for. He would look at me and listen, but often while I told him things, he would look away. I think he's feeling down.  It's totally understandable; I just wanted to ask for your pointed prayers for him to be granted some solace. It must be devastating to not have your body respond the way you want it to. What a trapped feeling.

I don't want to be Pollyanna-ish around him, but I'm trying to remain positive.

Brooke, what you (both) should try to remember is this simple truth:

In some ways, it is good that he is feeling this way.  Up until now(ish) he has been fighting to survive.  There was no time to worry about tomorrow, no energy to expend on that unnecessary effort.  It is only because he is healing, that he's now able to try to make sense of his situation.  To remember, and to try to forget.  To live again, and living means worrying about tomorrow.

But thinking about tomorrow is a gift.  We can't let it paralyze us, but it motivates us to work towards the tomorrow we want, and to better our situations.  And he will, and he will heal.  And it will take the time that is right for him.  It might take work.  But work's okay.  (I've never known any tough Minnesotan to shy away from a bit of work, of course. Nor Mainer, otherwise why would we live in such Godforsaken places in January?)  That's a challenge you can tackle, though.

So, chin up, and focus on the little miracles you have every day.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Chasoscar

• World Citizen
  • Being is Important......... being important is not
« Reply #204 on: January 14, 2014, 10:30:13 pm »

Just learning of this....... I dont know what to say but my thoughts are with you and your family Matt.. Get better soon!
(btw- well said Glynor)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #205 on: January 15, 2014, 12:27:29 am »

Do you think he'd like hearing words in the form of poems?

From CaringBridge:
Quote from: By Brooke and Matt Ashland — 18 hours ago
Just spoke with Matt's night nurse. He had an uneventful night. Hope today is a great day for him. Someone on Interact suggested reading poetry to Matt. If any of you have uplifting poems, verses, words you'd like me to read, please post them in the guestbook (or comment here). I will definitely read them to Matt, just as I have been sharing your posts and messages with him.

Thanks. Brooke

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #206 on: January 15, 2014, 03:59:49 am »

I got the feeling while sitting and talking with him that he is struggling with coming to terms with his situation. Maybe he's just now realizing what he's in for. He would look at me and listen, but often while I told him things, he would look away. I think he's feeling down.  It's totally understandable; I just wanted to ask for your pointed prayers for him to be granted some solace. It must be devastating to not have your body respond the way you want it to. What a trapped feeling.

I don't want to be Pollyanna-ish around him, but I'm trying to remain positive.

I know how he feels to a degree, I had a brain aneurysm in August of 2002. Once I was cognizant of my situation (~10 days) my initial thoughts were mostly related to all of the possible side effects I may suffer. That was a scary process because I knew I had little control over the outcome, luckily I don't have any side effects. God willing Matt will also recover completely with no lingering/permanent side effects. I am quite confident that will happen due to all the people that are pulling for him and his own strong will which he obviously has.
Sean

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #207 on: January 15, 2014, 09:29:18 am »

Very sorry to hear about this! I had no idea, I haven't been following the forum very much lately. I really hope Mat will get well again soon!
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

HiFiTubes

« Reply #208 on: January 15, 2014, 11:45:04 am »

Play his favorite music, and bring him real food. Get well mate. We are thinking about you.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #209 on: January 15, 2014, 12:11:34 pm »

Is Matt of the George Carlin or Monty Python school of humor.....or even perhaps Gilligan's Island??  ;)  Something tells me that the old adage "laughter is the best medicine" might have some merit, everyone needs a good chuckle now and again....
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #210 on: January 15, 2014, 12:24:28 pm »

I don't think he's ready for that yet.  He does have music playing in his room.

jgreen

« Reply #211 on: January 15, 2014, 12:26:34 pm »

Progress, Matt.  Sounds like you're improving and climbing back!  

Umm, while you were sleeping I was in there reading a list of feature requests and I could sense your head nodding . . .

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2014, 12:35:10 pm »

^^^^

Hey, I've had the same feeling today too.  Haha.  With the PA system at the hospital disturbing Matt he is probably beginning to think about the advantages of an intercom system!

FastKayak / Larry

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2014, 03:11:55 pm »

Just arrived back from camping to hear this shocking news.

So pleased to read Matt is out of that critical phase, although clearly there is still a long way to go.

My thoughts and prayers are with Matt, Brooke and their family during this challenging time.

Richard

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2014, 07:00:41 pm »

Just logged on for the first time in several weeks and was shocked to see this.  Glad it looks like Matt is steadily improving, I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers as many have said.

Also, I'm moved by the number of people posting in this thread who have never posted before on Interact.  I read through every post and noticed several members who had never posted prior to saying something here.  That's the impact of one person who is obviously involved in the community and helping make a difference.

Matt - get well soon.  We're all thinking about you.

--Ryan

paul1970

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Fractious Ingrate
« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2014, 03:49:15 am »

I'm really sorry to hear what's happened to Matt and the tough time Matt's family are going through. Matt - if you're listening - best wishes to you and just concentrate on getting well. It doesn't matter whether it's soon or not-so-soon. I'm really glad to hear the positive news that's been posted here since your accident. It sounds like you're on a good path.
A friend and colleague of mine had a severe head injury last year and has made terrific progress since. He tells me the key to recovery for this kind of injury is a combination of staying focused on what you want to achieve to motivate yourself and - at the same time - being kind to yourself, knowing you can't get it all done in a day.
Good luck.
Heaven: The nicest speakers I can afford (set up with attention paid to room interactions) and an amp that can power them adequately. Plus any old competently designed cables, DAC and a bit-perfect source

jgreen

« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2014, 11:30:59 am »

Matt, I happened to find some old Newt Gingrich for President campaign posters, maybe you'd enjoy having these on your walls?  They're about four feet tall with a giant picture of Uncle Newtie smiling/grimacing like a chubby crocodile--only much more arrogant.  I'll get ahold of JimH and arrange to ship a dozen to the hospital.

NickF

« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2014, 03:25:40 pm »

My attention has been elsewhere recently and I have only just discovered this had happened to Matt.  I am very much heartened by the progress to date.  There may still be some way to go but Matt is a determined and focused man and strength of will will play a major part in driving recovery forward.

Matt and Brooke, my thoughts are with you both.  Take it one day at a time and be reassured by any progress, no matter how small.  Be patient.

Best wishes,

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2014, 03:40:12 pm »

I once asked Nikolay, a former CTO at JRiver, about his hiring of Matt. Perhaps Matt would appreciate these comments now:

Matt was an amazing hire. I started talking to him because we wanted to integrate with Monkey's Audio codec and then I learned that he was in Minneapolis as well. During the first meeting with Matt it was obvious that he was as passionate about media as I was, so after a quick lunch I decided to hire him, hoping that he would be a great person to work with, and boy did he prove me right! Super passionate and super smart. If we had 3-4 of Matts, we could've change the world!!!

Matt, we are looking forward to having you back at JRiver and Interact!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2014, 04:21:40 pm »

I once asked Nikolay, a former CTO at JRiver, about his hiring of Matt. Perhaps Matt would appreciate these comments now:

Matt, we are looking forward to having you back at JRiver and Interact!

Social media has spoiled me. I keep looking for the like button on posts like these.

audioriver

« Reply #220 on: January 16, 2014, 05:07:55 pm »

Wish you get well soon, Matt.
Windows 10 Pro x64

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #221 on: January 16, 2014, 05:11:07 pm »

Social media has spoiled me. I keep looking for the like button on posts like these.

Mega Dittos.

This has hit me hard, I never cried for someone I have never met before, but every time I think about matt, I just can't help it.

Edit: Listening to: 'I Cry' from 'Wild Ones' by 'Flo Rida' with JRiver Media Center 19
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2014, 06:57:14 pm »

Great comments.

"If we had 3-4 of Matts, we could've change the world!!!"

Perhaps while Matt is in the hospital, they could clone him.  A small army of Matts with the original Matt to teach them.  They do that cloning stuff in movies that I watch on MC.

Bill

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #223 on: January 16, 2014, 10:09:26 pm »

Great comments.

"If we had 3-4 of Matts, we could've change the world!!!"

Perhaps while Matt is in the hospital, they could clone him.  A small army of Matts with the original Matt to teach them.  They do that cloning stuff in movies that I watch on MC.

Bill

The most entertaining one is called "The Sixth Day"...

maintainin

• Recent member
« Reply #224 on: January 16, 2014, 10:12:55 pm »

New to this forum and jriver. Wishing you the best, Matt!

jgreen

« Reply #225 on: January 17, 2014, 10:58:51 am »

It's all about steps, dude.  Small steps, small victories, bulding bigger victories from smaller steps.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #226 on: January 17, 2014, 11:57:18 am »

Matt, thinking of you and your family and sending good thoughts your way.

-Phil

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: January 17, 2014, 02:30:09 pm »

The JRiver crew just went to the hospital to see Matt.  He was semi-conscious for about an hour.  One eye was about half open and the other eye was sometimes open a little.  He's unable to talk or communicate but he seemed to look at each of us when we talked.  I held a finger up and moved it back and forth, and his eye followed it well.

He is breathing on his own most of the time.  Occasionally, they put him back on a machine.

They're planning to re-insert the piece of bone that is missing from the top rear part of his skull some time next week, and then move him to a longer care facility where they can still handle acute trauma cases.

John and Matt spent a few minutes filling him in on all the activity at JRiver.

Brooke gave him a big kiss.

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #228 on: January 17, 2014, 02:34:51 pm »

Hey Matt, it's great to hear that things are getting better; reading some gloomy posts on this winter of discontent, I thought it might tickle your fancy to suggest that, when this deal is over and done with, you're welcome to take a long vacation on a lazy and warm Mediterranean island - we've been having some summerlike halcyon days here in Crete and it should be a great option to look forward to. Get better quick!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #229 on: January 17, 2014, 02:43:04 pm »

Thanks very much, Jim, for the update.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #230 on: January 17, 2014, 03:51:43 pm »

Aw, crap. I hadn't logged in for a while and now I see this news. Something remarkably similar happened to a friend of mine and he made a full recovery. All my best to Matt and his family (which includes the JRiver team).

Micah

gappie

« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2014, 04:13:27 pm »

thanks for the update jim. reinserting the bone is good news. then the rehabilitation can begin. I hope so much that it will be swift and total.

:)
gab

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #232 on: January 18, 2014, 01:06:18 am »

From CaringBridge -
Elise chose to stay at the hospital for several more hours with me. She read The Lorax to her dad and sat with him, holding his hand and telling him how good it was to see his eyes open and how much she loves him. She even gave him a little hand massage. It was precious to see the apple of Matt's eye loving on him that way.

Beautiful words.

David R. Williams

• Recent member
« Reply #233 on: January 20, 2014, 02:14:07 pm »

I'd like to add my personal words of concern and best wishes for Matt and his family.

Although many of us don't know Matt personally, following the journey that he and his family are traveling brings one close to them and puts all of them in our hearts.

We can only wish and pray for his continued progress, and be thankful for the immediate care he received upon his fall and the exceptional support being provided to him and his family since then.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #234 on: January 21, 2014, 04:19:18 am »

It's encouraging to read all the positive journal posts of late. I'm glad Matt is doing better with each passing day.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #235 on: January 21, 2014, 06:01:37 am »

Just heard and was very sad to find out about Matt's accident.  Matt, I wish for you a full recovery and that you are able to return to your obviously loving and supportive family very soon….hey, and back to work too!.

I was so pleased to hear that there are positive signs. From past experience with patients I know these things can be frustratingly slow. I agree with Glynor that feeling down is a normal reaction and in itself a natural part of the recovery process that accompanies insight. Insight, awareness and comprehension are all good signs when recovering from a coma situation.

Good to hear people are reading to matt and playing his favourite music. I can only suggest, if not already occurred, that family and friends have a chat with doctors and speech therapists about how best to communicate at this stage. Matt's levels of both comprehension and expression may be quite different at this stage and also fluctuate.It is also normal for example to have a degree of memory loss for events leading up to the accident and sometimes delays in laying down new memories. This doesn't necessarily mean ongoing problems. You can imagine however how confusing it must seem so perhaps ask staff if it is appropriate to regularly explain to matt what's happening (and dwelling on the positive signs of recovery). 

Sorry if taking any liberties, being presumptuous in giving any advice, it is more just well wishes than anything else.

David (Samson)

Amilcar

« Reply #236 on: January 21, 2014, 04:30:21 pm »

So sorry to hear this Jim. Get well soon Matt.

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #237 on: January 21, 2014, 04:52:07 pm »

Wow! This just touched my heart! 
Just did a quick count and to date Matt has 163 Forum goers wishing him well.  5 of them posted for the first time just to wish him well.  It is nice to know that so many people are pulling for you and your family Matt.  God Bless you, your family, your associates and your friends.
Thank you to everyone for of the good wishes and words of encouragement.
May you get well soon!

Chico
JRiver Media Center... If you don't have it, I don't want to hear it!

sunfire7

« Reply #238 on: January 22, 2014, 02:57:24 am »

Matt is one of the few persons I admire, get well, Matt.
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

TheBaryon

« Reply #239 on: January 22, 2014, 06:03:48 am »

Wishing you a successful recovery Matt..

stubbo

• Recent member
« Reply #240 on: January 22, 2014, 09:07:29 am »

I can't even begin to imagine or understand the emotions and impacts on Matt, his family or friends. All I can offer is my sincere wishes for a Matt to progress hopefully to a full recovery in the fullness of time.

jgreen

« Reply #241 on: January 22, 2014, 09:31:33 am »

Keep on keepin on, Matt!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #242 on: January 22, 2014, 09:48:21 am »

I just stopped to see him.  He was sitting upright and had one eye open for a few minutes.  He could see me in the room and then he went back to sleep.

They have taken him off the ventilator so he is breathing on his own now.  That's an important step and let's hope it holds.

Sometime in the next few days, they will replace a piece of his skull that was removed when his brain was swollen.  Then he will be moved to long term acute care at a different location.

It's been about survival these last three weeks.   Recovery can begin soon.

Thanks, everyone, for your support for our dear colleague and friend.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #243 on: January 22, 2014, 02:32:29 pm »

He could see me in the room and then he went back to sleep.

I feel like that when my boss walks in the room sometimes too  ;)

Really glad to hear Matts improving.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #244 on: January 22, 2014, 04:11:35 pm »

Following this post everyday. This is great news, Get well Matt!

Blaine
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #245 on: January 22, 2014, 04:46:54 pm »

I don't believe in god, but I have found myself asking for him to help matt out just in case.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #246 on: January 22, 2014, 04:53:25 pm »

Thanks Jim for the encouraging news! I'm sure that all the love Matt is getting from his family, extended circle of friends and here is helping. Hopefully all of our prayers is also doing some good because I know that he is getting plenty.

Keep on truckin' Matt - we want to see you make a full recovery!

Best Wishes,
Sandra & Rod

DarkPenguin

« Reply #247 on: January 22, 2014, 09:17:26 pm »

Very encouraging news.  Been awfully worried about him.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #248 on: January 22, 2014, 09:25:19 pm »

I follow along at least one time a day, and I must say each day seems to be a small triumph.

The updates are enlightening, and Brooke has been amazing with embracing the JR community with all she has on her plate.

Keep up the good work everyone!!

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #249 on: January 23, 2014, 09:01:35 am »

Jim, thanks for the update. So happy to hear it has been good news and progress is stable and hopeful.

We miss Matt here on Interact, and I check all the time to see how he is doing. Our best thoughts go out to you and the team and Matt and his family.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up