INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something Went Wrong With Playback  (Read 7252 times)

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Something Went Wrong With Playback
« on: January 15, 2014, 11:53:29 am »

I originally posted this on the Performer Media Center forum a few days back: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86628.0, but I haven't gotten any responses so I thought I'd try here.

The issue is that I get the Something Went Wrong with Playback message on every song I try to play from the Performer Store. It was working fine before, and I haven't made any system changes. I'm running 19.0.104.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Something Went Wrong With Playback
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 02:48:17 pm »

I can't reproduce that here.  Are you streaming them direct from the store, or downloading protected subscription tracks and then playing those?  If you have downloaded subscription tracks, what happens if you try to play them with Windows Media Player?  Do the 30 second preview samples play Ok if you log out?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 02:57:16 pm »

Streaming direct from the store, and I get the same error on 30 second samples when I log out.

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 03:40:35 pm »

I was able to set up and test from another machine and the store works fine from there. To be clear, the machine where I'm having the problem plays local music fine. Including music that I've downloaded from the store, so the issue is some kind of a streaming problem I guess.

JohnT

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 03:47:19 pm »

Yes, that's strange.  Try temporarily disabling firewalls and anti-virus programs.
Maybe a reboot and re-install?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 03:53:01 pm »

If it is an antivirus program, you may need to uninstall, not just disable.

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 03:56:15 pm »

The thing is, I have made no changes to my firewall settings or anti-virus program. This is the same machine that I have been using for years. The only difference is the version of MC.

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 03:59:05 pm »

I tried turning off the firewall - no change.

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 04:59:05 pm »

Uninstalled and re-installed. Still doesn't work.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 07:51:45 pm »

Wait, are you sure you can play local files using the same settings?

Work through:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

Upgrading to MC19 does not carry over settings from the previous version, unless you make a Library Backup on the previous version and then restore it in the new one.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 06:02:22 am »

I can play local files just fine. And this problem did not just start when I upgraded to 19. I upgraded to MC19 when it first came out and everything worked fine. I cannot pinpoint what happened to my system, other than regular Windows updates and MC updates.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 09:57:04 am »

Bummer.  Worth a shot...

robgil

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 10:04:33 am »

Can you watch you tube video? I had the same problem with you tube. I was getting a message stating the video could not be found. I cant remember how I sorted it but I think updating JRiver solved it.

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 11:05:42 am »

I can watch youtube video.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 11:06:46 am »

I'll try to test the samples when I get home.

JohnT

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 08:40:03 am »

Bob had a problem playing Performer subscription music over the weekend and it turned out to be a corrupted Microsoft DRM folder.  Renaming (or deleting) that folder fixed the problem for him.  This occasional problem never seems to go away, I've seen it occur sporadically over the past 10 years.  I had a similar problem a couple years ago playing a Netflix movie, called Netflix tech support and had to chuckle when they told me the familiar solution: "rename or delete the DRM folder".

I created a new sticky post which you can use to try this procedure:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86865.0

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 10:58:55 am »

I just tried it and that didn't work. Still getting the same error.

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 04:12:41 pm »

I just realized why resetting DRM didn't fix it - I can play files that I've downloaded from the PS.

So it's some kind of streaming problem, but only with the PS. I can stream audio from Netflix, youtube, Spotify, etc.

Is there some kind of debug mode I can turn on? I'm on the verge of canceling my subscription.

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 05:43:09 pm »

Maybe I spoke too soon about this not being DRM related. I turned logging on and tried playing a song directly from the PS on a machine that works, and on my server machine that doesn't work. Here's a section of the log from the machine that works:

0010031: 4520: Playback: CWmaDecoder::Open: Handling DRM
0010031: 3280: Playback: CWmaDecoder::OnStatus: m_bDone set to 0
0010031: 4520: Playback: CWmaDecoder::Open: DRM Info: (version = 0) (return value = 0)
0010031: 3280: Playback: CWmaDecoder::OnStatus: Finish (0 ms)
0010031: 4520: Playback: CWmaDecoder::Open: Check DRM states
0010031: 3280: Playback: CWmaDecoder::OnStreamSelection: Start
0010031: 4520: Playback: CWmaDecoder::Open: Enabling high definition audio

And this is from the machine that doesn't work:

0007223: 4740: Playback: CWmaDecoder::Open: Handling DRM
0007223: 2020: Playback: CWmaDecoder::OnStatus: m_bDone set to 0
0007223: 4740: Playback: CWmaDecoder::Open: DRM Info: (version = 0) (return value = -1072877856)
0007223: 2020: Playback: CWmaDecoder::OnStatus: Finish (0 ms)
0007223: 4740: Playback: CWmaDecoder::Open: Check DRM states
0007223: 4740: Playback: CWmaDecoder::Open: Decoder return error, m_hrDRM=0xc00d2ee0
0007223: 4740: Playback: CWmaDecoder::Open: Finish (1326 ms)
0007223: 4740: Playback: CMJWMAInputSource::Open: Decoder return value = 1
0007223: 4740: Playback: CMJWMAInputSource::Open: Finish (1342 ms)
0007223: 4740: Playback: CMJWaveFeeder::Thread: Finished feeder loop (bCancel: 0, bPlayed: 0)
0007223: 4740: Playback: CMJWaveFeeder::Thread: Firing error
0007223: 4740: Playback: CPlayerZone::JRPlaybackEngine_PlaybackError: Start
0007223: 4740: Playback: CPlayerZone::JRPlaybackEngine_PlaybackError: Error:
0007223: 4740: Playback: CPlayerZone::JRPlaybackEngine_PlaybackError: Finish (0 ms)

Now the question is, what to do about it? I followed the instructions to reset DRM and that didn't help. I've attached the full logs from both machines in case anybody can make more sense of them.

Thanks for the help!

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 06:49:00 pm »

Bad log attached.

More confusion. I checked the tow machines that work and they don't even have a DRM folder. So I went back to the main machine and instead of resetting DRM, I just change the name of the folder. When I went to the PS, MC gave me a message that DRM has been enabled. The DRM folder is back and I still can't play from PS.

So the machines that work have no DRM folder, and the machine that doesn't gets one created automatically.

If I had hair, I'd pull it out.

JohnT

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 07:47:01 pm »

Bad log attached.

More confusion. I checked the tow machines that work and they don't even have a DRM folder. So I went back to the main machine and instead of resetting DRM, I just change the name of the folder. When I went to the PS, MC gave me a message that DRM has been enabled. The DRM folder is back and I still can't play from PS.

So the machines that work have no DRM folder, and the machine that doesn't gets one created automatically.

If I had hair, I'd pull it out.

Sorry for the problems, I pulled out a lot of my hair eight years ago when we started working with Microsoft's DRM system.   :(

When you say the other two machines don't have a DRM folder, are you sure it's not just "hidden" as pointed out in that sticky thread I linked to?  Also, the location of the DRM folder varies on different Windows OS's.  Are they all Windows 7?
The "ResetDRM" method was the 3rd method to try.  Did you run through the first method, where you rename or delete the DRM folder and then go to that Microsoft website and click the "Update" button?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 10:44:42 pm »

I'll try to test the samples when I get home.

FWIW, I tested here and have no problems with the samples.

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 09:42:03 am »

When you say the other two machines don't have a DRM folder, are you sure it's not just "hidden" as pointed out in that sticky thread I linked to?

A Duh Moment on my part. I assumed I was seeing all hidden files because I could see the ProgramData folder, but I didn't have the Hide Protected Operating System Files box unchecked. So it turns out all machines have DRM folders.

Are they all Windows 7?

Yes.

The "ResetDRM" method was the 3rd method to try.  Did you run through the first method, where you rename or delete the DRM folder and then go to that Microsoft website and click the "Update" button?

I tried to run through all three methods, but here's what happens:

Method 1: Run windows media player DRM troubleshooter and check what is causing the problem.

There is no Windows Media Player DRM Troubleshooter in the list. I have Windows Media Player DVD, Windows Media Player Library, and Windows Media Player Settings. I've run all three of these on all three machines. No impact.

Method 2: Rename DRM folder, this forces Windows to build a new one.

At first, I couldn't rename it because the folder was in use by another program. So I skipped to Method 3. I eventually was able to shut down enough processes and services to get it to rename but when I got to the site - in IE running as Administrator - the Upgrade button was grayed out and clicking on it didn't do anything. So I just tried playing a song from the PS, and that would cause the DRM folder to be recreated, but still no love.

Method 3: Use the ResetDRM Tool

I downloaded and ran the tool. It says it ran successfully. It created a new DRM folder, it said Clean DRM Succeeded, it still doesn't work. BTW, there is a sample WMA file with DRM on this site that you're supposed to use for testing. I downloaded it and MC cannot play it before or after the ResetDRM.

I've done this step multiple times now. Same result.

So this definitely seems to be DRM related, but I can't think of anything else to do to fix it.

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 10:51:26 am »

SUCCESS!!!!

Googling around on Microsoft DRM issues led me to a fix that got Method 2 to work. From a post on the Microsoft Community forum about that grayed out upgrade button:

I'm not sure all steps were required, but after trying all the usual, Admin mode, renaming DRM folder, running the other updater at http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/crlupdate/en/crlupdate.html ,  etc. the button was still grey.  Then just to cover all bases I clicked the Compatibility button (to view pages designed for older browsers) and BANG, the button was active.

Here's the link to the entire thread if anybody wants more detail:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/windows-media-player-drm-upgrade-button-still/97e2b8dd-feaa-43c8-88d1-6d2612e5ed87

So once I was able to get the Upgrade button on the Microsoft DRM Website to work, it updated some Windows Media Player security components, and BAM! PS tracks are playing like a charm!

Thanks JohnT for getting me pointed in the right direction. This was really making me crazy.

Now if you can just let me stream PS tracks to my new Sonos Player and Gizmo on my phone, you will officially have the world's best music player and streaming service!  ;)

Pages: [1]   Go Up