INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC hangs regularly ..  (Read 3520 times)

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
MC hangs regularly ..
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:20:55 am »

I experience very frequent hangups with MC. Can't find a clue where it comes from. The most tangible result is this runtime error message that I sometimes get. Most of the time when I have used MC for over 45 minutes the application does not respond anymore. Restarting is the only option.

To be honest with version 18 on Windows7-64 I did not have these issue. With Windows8-64 and MC19 I experience problems on a daily basis and several times a day.

Marsies..

p.s. I tried to insert a screenshot. Don't know how to insert it. It is a general message asking me to contact support for more information!

rlebrette

Re: MC hangs regularly ..
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:30:52 am »

I'm working everyday with Win8 64bits, it works perfectly. The problem is IMO more related to your setup.
Did you try to enable the logging feature and check the log after the crash?

It can be enabled in "Help/Logging...", check the "Output to a log file" box, and use MC until you get the crash.

Jamil

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 06:39:38 am »

I would agree with the original poster that MC19 is far less stable than MC18 was. I ran into crash issues right after a new install.  Uninstalling or disabling my virus scanner is not a solution when MC18 did not have this issue.  Unfortunately, MC19 does not work perfectly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:32:34 am »

Uninstalling or disabling my virus scanner is not a solution when MC18 did not have this issue.
Did you try it?
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86096.0

MC19 is not less stable than MC18.

Make sure you have the latest build available.  It's 19.0.104.

Jamil

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:06:32 am »

Please do not take this the wrong way.  I do not wish to argue, but uninstalling a virus scanner to use a specific piece of software is not a solution.  Especially it the issue is present with every virus scanner in the market (?)

Who is going to then repair my computer if/when it gets infected with a virus?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 08:15:20 am »

Please do not take this the wrong way.  I do not wish to argue, but uninstalling a virus scanner to use a specific piece of software is not a solution.  Especially it the issue is present with every virus scanner in the market (?)

Who is going to then repair my computer if/when it gets infected with a virus?

I don't think the suggestion is to uninstall your virus scanner and leave it uninstalled.  Uninstalling it is a troubleshooting step that will identify whether the Anti-virus is actually the problem, so you can then take action after reinstalling the anti-virus.  If you've ever watched the television program "House" consider it a part of the "differential diagnosis."

Check out the section "Tame your anti-virus" in this thread, for more info: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86699.0

rlebrette

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 08:20:23 am »

Especially it the issue is present with every virus scanner in the market (?)

I use TrendMicro without any problem except during installation where I need to switch off temporarelly it.
The logging feature should be a great help to check whether or not the scanner is part of the problem, uninstalling it would allow you to know if it's the main cause.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 08:45:59 am »

I don't think the suggestion is to uninstall your virus scanner and leave it uninstalled.  Uninstalling it is a troubleshooting step that will identify whether the Anti-virus is actually the problem, so you can then take action after reinstalling the anti-virus.  If you've ever watched the television program "House" consider it a part of the "differential diagnosis."

Check out the section "Tame your anti-virus" in this thread, for more info: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86699.0

Exactly.  It is a means to an end.

If uninstalling the anti-virus "fixes" it, then you know it is an issue with your Anti-Virus application, and can take action to address that.
If uninstalling/rebooting has no effect, then you know it ISN'T an issue with your Anti-Virus, and you can reinstall it, and focus on other possibilities.

And, it certainly does not "conflict" with every Anti-Virus application out there, and the behavior depends on the specifics of your machine. Think of it this way: The job of an Anti-Virus application is to "interfere" with every single application that runs on your machine.  It isn't a side-effect, it is the goal. Before an application is allowed to run, or access any resource while it is running, the AV application has to scan it, generate a fingerprint, check the fingerprint, and then grant or deny access. That's what a background scanner does.

Generally, the slower your machine is, the greater the impact of this extra latency. As I mention in the above-linked thread, most machines I've used with MC take no special "fiddling" to make it work. However, I have encountered a few (using both Symantec Enterprise Protection and Windows Defender/MSSE) that require exceptions.  The difference?  Generally, the slower PCs require exceptions to have good performance, the faster ones (particularly those with fast SSDs), don't.  It isn't always that, it can be interaction with other software or services running on the machine, and probably a whole raft of things, but it certainly seems to track with computer power (and specifically, disk speed).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 08:50:49 am »

I'm using MC for many many years now and have experienced a various amount of problems. Not all versions were stable as a rock but this one is really unstable.

I regret that I followed the advice of my hardwaresupplier that adviced W8, just too many issues. For example USB3.0 is a not really working well. The virusscanner has never been an issue. Nevertheless I switched from GData to Bitdefender. It hasn't changed the behaviour of MC. I agree with Jamil. MC is 32 bits, could that be an issue.

The hangup that happens most is that when I leave my machine playing for a while the playback suddenly stops. The screen fades and Windows reports that MC does not respond and it asks me to wait or kill the program. It just happens TOO often!!

I've turned on the logging feature!

Marsies..

=== Running Benchmarks (please do not interrupt) ===

Running 'Math' benchmark...
    Single-threaded integer math... 4.104 seconds
    Single-threaded floating point math... 2.497 seconds
    Multi-threaded integer math... 1.185 seconds
    Multi-threaded mixed math... 0.803 seconds
Score: 2212

Running 'Image' benchmark...
    Image creation / destruction... 0.321 seconds
    Flood filling... 0.364 seconds
    Direct copying... 0.531 seconds
    Small renders... 1.117 seconds
    Bilinear rendering... 0.838 seconds
    Bicubic rendering... 0.473 seconds
Score: 6038

Running 'Database' benchmark...
    Create database... 0.187 seconds
    Populate database... 0.933 seconds
    Save database... 0.149 seconds
    Reload database... 0.049 seconds
    Search database... 0.866 seconds
    Sort database... 0.763 seconds
    Group database... 0.597 seconds
Score: 6068

JRMark (version 19.0.104): 4772

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 08:58:57 am »

MC is 32 bits, could that be an issue.

No.

There are a variety of reasons, but the most important is that MC is, itself, developed under Windows 64-bit (I believe Matt uses Windows 8, though I'm not sure about the others).

Please work through at least the first half of this:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86699.0

In that thread, the Headings most likely to apply to "hanging" (rather than "crashing", which is a totally different issue) are:
1. Anti-Virus
2. Disk and Locations
3. Drivers
4. Check Your Disks For Trouble

And let us know what you find.

If you are having many other non-MC-related issues with your PC, then it will be very difficult to tell if the issues are related to these issues, or with things specific to MC.  One thing that I know can cause a whole raft of issues on Windows 8.1 (and which you may have obliquely referenced) is if you installed any USB3 "accelerators" provided by your motherboard/PC vendor.  The ASUS versions of these, for example, completely break the USB root hub (disabling all USB devices entirely).

These accelerators worked fine on Windows 8, but they are broken on Windows 8.1.  You also don't need them on Windows 8.1 because it comes with the "acceleration" features built-in.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 09:00:50 am »

A machine with that JRMark should be able to run MC without any serious performance issues.  Unless something is broken on your system, this isn't a "my computer can't do it" issue.  The issue lies somewhere else.

I'll also add, I use MC exclusively on 64-bit copies of Windows (I don't have any 32-bit copies anywhere), and I use MC at home exclusively on Windows 8.1.  I have no serious issues to speak of at all.

robydago

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 09:02:06 am »

I experience very frequent hangups with MC. 
With Windows8-64 and MC19 I experience problems on a daily basis and several times a day.

+1

Apart from this

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86542.msg591658#msg591658

that is easily reproducible, I get other hangups and crashes.

As already reported, starting playing after a long pause often makes MC hangs, but I also get other hangups\crashes.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 09:18:07 am »

If you have a problem, we'll need details.  Please start here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86699.0

Please start a new thread with details.  Include your OS, your setup (network if any, drives, etc.), what you're playing and what version you are using.  The latest version is always in a thread near the top of this board.

Before any report, uninstall any antivirus software.  We have seen a lot of problems lately that turned out to be the Antivirus program.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86096.0

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 09:28:08 am »

I regret that I followed the advice of my hardwaresupplier that adviced W8, just too many issues. For example USB3.0 is a not really working well. The virusscanner has never been an issue. Nevertheless I switched from GData to Bitdefender. It hasn't changed the behaviour of MC. I agree with Jamil. MC is 32 bits, could that be an issue.
Win 8 isn't a problem.  Neither is 32 or 64 bit.  A driver could be.

Test without an antivirus program.  Disabling may not be enough if that is the problem.  Uninstall.  Bitdefender has been a cause of several problems.  DO NOT report a problem unless you have done this.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 09:36:23 am »

Please do not take this the wrong way.  I do not wish to argue, but uninstalling a virus scanner to use a specific piece of software is not a solution.  Especially it the issue is present with every virus scanner in the market (?)
It is a very simple test to see if the antivirus software is a factor.  A lot of the programs use the same antivirus engine.  I believe it's provided by Kaspersky.

Do not report a problem unless you have tried uninstalling the antivirus software (not just disabling).
Pages: [1]   Go Up