INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Curious hard drive issue MC hangs [Solved]  (Read 5577 times)

MTAL78

• Recent member
Curious hard drive issue MC hangs [Solved]
« on: January 25, 2014, 01:56:03 pm »

This is my first post of the forum and unfortunately it is about a problem i am facing. I have build a new HTPC and just installed a Win 8.1 pro to it and MC:s latest version. The computer doesnt have any other programs besides win 8.1 pro and MC. I have ripped one DVD using the MC and now i am facing the following problem:

I have two hard drives a 120GB SSD disc which holds the win and MC and a 4TB SATA disk which is supposed to hold all the data. Now the problem i am facing is that when trying to play the ripped movie (on the SATA drive) thru MC it hangs immediately when i make a selection in the movies menu, the famous wheel of fortune starts to spin and you can wait until the end of the world and nothing happens. I have also tried to play the file without any virus/firewall program without success. I then also installed VLC player and tried it and the file plays without any problems.

Now comes the interesting part, if i copy the ripped movie to the SSD drive and play it from there it works 100% or if i place the disc to the drive it works just fine, so it seems MC has a problem with my 4TB SATA drive for one reason or another but VLC player doesnt. I have a log file but where should i send it or does anybody have an idea what and why is causing this problem. The drive should be fast enough and again like said VLC playes it just fine playing the movie/menus from the SATA drive.

Thoughts, ideas??

English is not my native language so sorry if the text above is not 100% ...

- Topi

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Curious hard drive issue MC hangs..
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 02:32:04 pm »

What version are you using?  19.0.108 is the latest.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86848.0

Antivirus is also a possibility.  Disabling may not be enough.

MTAL78

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 02:53:16 pm »

I am using the latest MC version 19.0.108. I have tested with no Antivirus at all, so only win 8.1 + MC without any Antivir installed and the problem is as described. I also tried to update all the drivers of the motherboard but that didnt help eather.

I have the log like said. I also tried to install the MC to the same hard drive as the ripped movies (SATA) but this didnt change the behaviour the problem still exists.

I have now also tried Windows Media Center also and it works fine. So it seems to be something that causes problems with your platform but not with the others tested...

MTAL78

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 03:06:47 am »

I have now tried to rip several movies to see if there is any difference between discs, but the problem seems to stay the same. On some disc's i cant even get to the menu but the player stops after couple of seconds and just stays there. I even might be able to open the program menus from the right mouse click and make selections but they dont do anything, the program just dont do any of the commands.

I also ripped music CD's to see if i would have problems with them also but they work without any issues. So it is only movies and only when they are located in the 4T Seagate drive, when copied to the 120GB SSD everything runs smoothly. I have emailed the log file so hopefully it will shed some light, at the moment i will have to install MyMovies with Windows Media Center to enjoy my movies but i will see if future versions will fix the bugs that are currently stopping me of enjoying the program. I love the idea of many of the features and options in MC but naturally cant enjoy them in the current situation...

Computer details:
Intel i5
Asus Maximus Vi Gene motherboard
16GB of RAM
Kingston 120gb SSD
Seagate 4T SATA
Win 8.1 pro

I have also tried copying the movies to an outside USB hard drive and play them from there thru MC and this again works fine. So the problem is only with the 4T seagate drive which again works with other tested media players. Any ideas??

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 03:52:42 am »

Have you tried any HDD Health Checkers (I like Hard Disk Sentinel) to double check there are no issues being reported on the drive?
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 07:18:23 am »

If it is an antivirus problem, disabling may not be enough.  Uninstalling is the only way to be certain.

If the same movie works from one drive, but not another, it isn't a problem with MC.  But it could be a setting.  Did you try using Red October Standard?  It's in video settings.  Toggle other settings, too.

MTAL78

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 07:46:17 am »

I have run hard drive checks and all comes thru OK. I will get new SATA drives tomorrow which i will test to see if they make a difference. I have tried RedOctober standard but it makes no difference. JimH you state that the problem is not with MC but maybe with the settings, i will go thru as many as i think could affect this but like i have mentioned all the other media players i have tested play the files on this drive just fine, so it should not be a direct hardware issue eather. Will post my findings tomorrow when i have the change to try other SATA drives.. The MC has no problem handling large partitions or drives?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 07:52:14 am »

MC uses the OS to read the files. 

MTAL78

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 09:56:57 am »

I might know what is causing the problem but i have to wait until tomorrow to test it, but i found this while browsing the web:

"I've figured out the problem. I have my Steam installed on a Windows 8 Storage Space. Apparently FC3 doesn't like being run off a storage space (that's most definitely a bug in FC3; all my other games work fine), because when I move it to my C: drive (my SSD; not a storage space) using a junction point to make it look like it's still installed on my D: drive (the storage space), the game works fine."

Sounds familiar doesnt it and i am using Win 8 Storage Space on the drive that holds the movies and my SSD is not attached to the win 8 storage space and works fine as with the guy above. So tomorrow i will try to unmount the drive from the storage space and see if it fixes the issue. I will keep you posted.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 10:55:52 am »

Try preventing the drive from spinning down in the Windows Power Control Panel.

MTAL78

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 11:48:15 pm »

Problem fixed. The JRiver doesnt like to play larger files/bandwidth from hard drive which is part of win 8 storage spaces pool. When i unmounted the drive from this movies work as they should. Maybe this is something that should be included in your FAQ for troubleshooting?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 07:19:54 am »

That problem is probably not a JRiver one.  It's probably somewhere in the file reading chain. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 09:49:11 am »

Problem fixed. The JRiver doesnt like to play larger files/bandwidth from hard drive which is part of win 8 storage spaces pool. When i unmounted the drive from this movies work as they should. Maybe this is something that should be included in your FAQ for troubleshooting?

Interesting.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll add a note about it to the Disks Troubleshooting page.

I agree, generally, with Jim that the issue is probably something with Storage Spaces (or, perhaps, your particular implementation).  I'm not sure that it doesn't work with all implementations of Storage Spaces, but it is still a worthwhile datapoint to have.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

CountryBumkin

Re: Curious hard drive issue MC hangs [Solved]
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 11:17:22 am »

Why did the movie play with VLC using the same storage pool?
It does sound like a JRiver thing - not that anything is wrong with JRiver or needs to be changed. But if this can be confirmed (on someone else's machine) it would be a good idea it to make a note of this in the MC setup instructions.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 11:49:12 am »

If its an actual DVD then its a known issue, and a Microsoft issue at that. The DVD Navigator seems to fail playing DVDs from storage spaces.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 03:02:49 pm »

If its an actual DVD then its a known issue, and a Microsoft issue at that. The DVD Navigator seems to fail playing DVDs from storage spaces.

MTAL78, if you come back to this thread, it would be nice to know if this was the issue you were hitting or not.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up