INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File problems, don't know what to do  (Read 2325 times)

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
File problems, don't know what to do
« on: February 10, 2014, 05:01:13 pm »

First, I don't know if this is in the correct forum. Please move if needed.

1) I have PC1 (SERVER), windows 7 home premium x64 retail with MC19.0.114 media server on HDD1 (drive letter C),
media is on internal drives, AUDIO on HDD2 - 4TB (drive letter D), MOVIES on HDD3 - 4TB (E), TVSHOWS HDD4 - 4TB (F)

2) PC2 (HTPC), renderer with external DAC, Win 7 Ult x64 Retail with MC19.0.114 acting as client, no media present

First pc1 ran several times during boot checkdisk on HDD3, everything ok, some recovering on errors with orphaned files, it
went so fast that I could read it. And stopped after this checkdisk. Rebooting, and everything went fine.
This happened about five times, and then I got the error 'the recycle bin on E is corrupted'.
After searching the net, I found that renaming that $recycle.bin, I could delete it, and Windows directly created a new empty one
on E. btw all my recycle bins were already disabled before, only giving a message went you want to delete something.
I already wondered how data entered the E recycle bin when it was off.

Next, I wanted to watch a recent movie on PC2, and I got 'something went wrong with playback, details failed to open on parse
file (hr=0x80004005)' message from JRMC19, I tried multiple mkv movies, and the same error on most of them, mostly on 1080p
mkv files, and not on 720p files. First I thought some settings were wrong.

I went to the room where PC1 is, and oh no, the movies didn't play on the server either, try to open and directly the movie closes with
the same error, failed to open or parse... the other HDDs are playing fine, music, pictures, mk tv shows, all ok.

I installed VLC to check the movie mkv's, but also nothing, no error message, but just a black screen, no audio, and the mkv doesn't
play.

The data is still on the E HDD, so I'm running now via safe modus, command prompt with admin rights, chkdsk /f /r E:
a normal chkdsk /f E: did't give any errors.

What can I still do to recover about 300 movies that won't play? I already searched this forum but it didn't give any results on mkv type.
I really don't like the idea of ripping these blurays again.  ?
Is this caused by MC19 server, or maybe something to do with the orphaned files? with the first automatic checkdisks of windows?

I hope someone has some ideas, I only had made external backups of my music and tv series, I still needed to do this for my movies.

Thanks in advance,

Nina

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
Re: Big problem, don't know what to do
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 05:05:39 pm »

The chkdsk will take a long time, so meanwhile I will rip my latest bluray again with the same settings, to see if the file sizes are
the same or if something changed.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: File problems, don't know what to do
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 06:29:48 pm »

Try powering everything down and back up, including your network.  If there is anything valuable on the machines, you may be able to use disk utility software to recover it, but don't do anything new that writes to the disk.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 06:37:15 pm »

I'd suspect something in the HDD3 chain is bad: controller, cables, or disk itself.  To narrow down which, you can move the disk to another system (or controller port/cable in the same box), and see how the disk behaves.  If things are still bad, the disk is suspect.

When you have a disk that is going bad, its best to try to copy (via low-level cloning) all the data first to a known working disk.  The idea being that you don't want to exercise a bad disk more than necessary.  Do your repairs on the new disk, not the one that might be bad.

And as JimH says, don't write stuff to it, and that can mean chkdsk.

Good luck...
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 07:00:31 pm »

Nina,

Do you have backups of your audio and video data files?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 08:37:19 pm »

I'd suspect something in the HDD3 chain is bad: controller, cables, or disk itself.

+1
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 08:56:30 pm »

I don't have backup of everything. The most important for me are my audio files and animation movies for the kids.
These seems to be working all fine.
I'm checking which movies are infected, and while Media Center is open, I see cover art dissapear, and movies that played fine 10 minutes ago,
now suddenly have the same error.
Even stranger, when I click a movie that played, display view open, no more sound or video but display view stays open, and (I'm not getting crazy)
I hear the sound/voices of the movie 'Escape Plan' in the background... I deleted that movie permanently about two hours ago???
I reinstalled Media Center, but this spooky thing still happens.
I'm gonna install a virus scanner and descent software firewall on my PC1 media server and check things out.
I have windows firewall on and also one in my router protected with long passwords.
Either it's haunted over here or I have a visit from a hacker.

I spotted that the jpg's which are together with the mkv's, like 'city of angels.mkv', in the same folder is also 'city of angels.jpg' which acts
as cover/thumbnail in Media Center, have the same error as the mkv, it doesnt open anymore.
I opened the jpg in a hex editor, and I notice that the file header and data inside are really screwed up. Did MC did this?
Different name in the jpg, descriptions of a completely different file, some reference to jrsidecar files which are completely wrong in the results from hex editor.
I don't know enough of programming to change this back in the mkv files.

Getting crazy over here, going to bed. I already really regret of building this server and using JRiver media server.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 07:53:31 am »

MC doesn't write to MKV files at all, it only uses the jrsidecar files to write tags (which are separate files).

I think your disk is hosed.

Read:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_Troubleshooting_Guide

Particularly the sections on Disks.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up