INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting Column Orders  (Read 1728 times)

john greenwood

• World Citizen
Setting Column Orders
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:29:51 am »

I'm sure there's an explanation in the Wiki somewhere, but I just spent 20 minutes looking and could not find it. 

How do I permanently change the column orders in a particular view?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Setting Column Orders
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 10:36:46 am »

You can drag and drop column headers.

connersw

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 10:43:57 am »

You can also right click on the header to select or de-select which Fields you want to display.  You can then right click -> Presets -> Save to save the header order and use it in other views. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 10:55:25 am »

FWIW...

I really, really, really wish there was a way to apply a column preset to a particular View and all Child Views.  We used to have this capability, or something like it, way way back in the day, but it got lost somewhere along the way.

Right now, if I change my Column Header setup, it is extremely tedious to apply it to a wide variety of my views.  For example, if I decide to change the setup of my "regular music" columns?  I have to manually apply the column preset something like 25 times (because I have a whole bunch of "shuffle" views and things like that).

If I could, instead, select the whole Audio "parent" view, and apply the change down through all of the child views, then I could easily go in and "fix" the one-or-two views that I want to look differently (my "Imports" views and whatnot that have specialty columns).  At the very least, I could select my "Mixes" parent-view and apply the change to all of its children (there's probably 15 of those).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

connersw

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 12:24:35 pm »

Agreed.  Since children inherit their parent's rules in Standard View, it would make sense with Column Header set up as well. 

arin

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 07:27:22 am »

+1

And that would be welcome together  with the possibility to save the View tabs state.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 08:21:41 am »

Agreed.  Since children inherit their parent's rules in Standard View, it would make sense with Column Header set up as well. 

To be clear, I don't really want them to automatically inherit the columns from their parents.  I just want a "button" that does: Apply this View Style to All Child Views.  I'm thinking when you right-click on the View itself in the tree.

This would, in my perfect world, set "push down" all of the things you can do in the View Headers (Columns, widths, grouping, thumbnail size, etc) so that they match the current view.  That way, you could quickly "fix" a bunch of child views, but still preserve the ability to have child views differ, if this is convenient.  In fact, in many cases, this is exactly what I want.  I might want a child view to differ slightly (have a different column at the "front", for example) but have all other settings match.

As it is now, if you want to do this, it is extremely tedious.  You have to do repetitive "clicking" over and over and over and over... Which means, mine are often a mess.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up