INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dedicated jriver pc without a monitor  (Read 29817 times)

madman1887

• Recent member
dedicated jriver pc without a monitor
« on: February 26, 2014, 05:21:14 pm »

hi

is there a way for me to make a pc dedicated to only load jriver? more specifically, I mean, i want it so when i turn the pc on, it can load media centre as fast as possible without loading extra things i don't need, like desktop (explorer.exe) etc.. i just want it to load jriver as quickly as possible from pressing the power button. i will control the software with winlirc sending remote commands (keyboard presses) and the assistance of the jriver remote apps gizmo and jremote.

i ultimately want to make a streamer box for my hi fi that boots an operating system as quick as possible from the pc posting, and loading jriver and running it as reliably as possible. perhaps i should consider linux? i can use an ssd as a boot drive to help with speed, but the actual music will be on a mechanical hdd or nas. id like something that can turn itself on/off in 10secs but i don't know if thats realistic. i want to use it as a music streamer/transport to my usb dac in my hi fi system. only problem with linux is that I'm clueless with it and i need lcd2usb to work with it to get info from the currently playing media in jriver to show on the screen. i don't want to use a monitor with this set up, so it must be very reliable.

hope to hear from you guys!

thanks

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: dedicated jriver pc without a monitor
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 05:55:21 pm »

I'm sure I've seen discussions on this in the past but I'm not sure there's an easy answer. I recall mention of some sort of "shell" program that could launch MC, but I think in general it's not actually recommended to cut Windows down or disable services etc, it could make it unstable.

I have a PC (I suppose you'd call it a HTPC, it's connected to my main TV and AV amp, and the actual media files are on a NAS elsewhere in the house) and it does boot into Windows and MC in around 10 seconds. It's a fanless Compulab Intense PC with a low power Ivy Bridge i7 mobile processor and Windows 7 Pro - not a powerhouse but it works fine and just about manages video in ROHQ. There is nothing else on the PC so it's quite clean and it also has a SSD. You can set Windows to auto-login to a particular user account on startup and obviously you then set MC to run at startup. Obviously, if I want to play video I'll have the TV/monitor on but just to play music I can just let it boot up without a display.  I then set it to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity and it will wake up via WOL from JRemote instantly, in fact I genereally leave it on but sleepign most of the time and it's available instantly, or at least in the time it takes me to load JRemote on the iPad and press the Connect button. The only sticking point is the NAS which has "real" discs and I've also set that to sleep after a while, and it can take some time for the drives to spin up again after sleeping. At some point inthe future, I want to replace the NAS discs with SSDs too.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 06:19:38 pm »

perhaps i should consider linux?

I think probably, though Windows 8.1 can boot pretty darn quickly with a modern motherboard, CPU, and SSD.

MC on Windows and OSX is a userland process, so it has to run inside of the desktop shell, however, so it has to boot fully and login as a user.  Running MC as a service may be possible if you're very clever, but it is not supported.

I can't speak to the Linux builds.  I know they were built to be able to run headless (the null renderer was built for this reason), but I don't know how lean of a linux machine you can build and have it still run well.  You should take a look over on that board.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 06:21:19 pm »

I would add...

Why do you care how quickly it boots?  Just use the sleep features of your PC (assuming it is a modern board with good support) and keep it running all the time.  If it isn't a modern board, you're going to waste a bunch of time initializing BIOS things anyway, and your effort would probably be better spent on a newer, more modern system anyway.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 06:23:27 pm »

At some point inthe future, I want to replace the NAS discs with SSDs too.

Far, far in the future, unless you're quite rich.  Unfortunately.

madman1887

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 02:10:57 am »

thanks for the very useful replies. much appreciated. i don't mind the sleep feature, as long as it reliably works. the main issue is eating jriver to connect to work with my dac properly, i.e: if i leave it running and turn my system off/then back on sometimes it cannot play because its lost connection to the dac. the dad is usb operated over xmos usb audio 2.0 fyi.

could anyone recommend an its cpu/motherboard combo that would run jriver (and windows 7/8) reliably? don't want tons of power, just something that will work reliably. budget is basically as low as possible for something that will work, and i am open to second hand too.

i was thinking of getting this, but not sure if its good enough?
Zotac IONITX-F-E Dual Core Atom 330 1.6GHz, 4GB DDR2, HDMI, WiFi, eSATA Mini-ITX

i just want to play lossless files from a NAS (or usb hdd) hi res 192 24 flacs and some DSD files too. I have a couple of grands worth of hi fi ill be using it with but it all should be good since I'm using a USB dac, is that correct?

csimon

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 04:00:13 am »

Far, far in the future, unless you're quite rich.  Unfortunately.

They're still expensive, but not prohibitively so now.  I have just under 1TB of media files, a 1TB SSD from Crucial now costs £350 RRP ($470), and cheaper from Amazon! I remember the time when 64GB SSDs were twice that price! It depends what price silence and speed and convenience, and that's a personal preference, but people can pay much much more than that for a single DAC which to my ears wouldn't have any appreciable advantage over my £70 one!

csimon

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 04:12:04 am »

the main issue is eating jriver to connect to work with my dac properly, i.e: if i leave it running and turn my system off/then back on sometimes it cannot play because its lost connection to the dac.

could anyone recommend an its cpu/motherboard combo that would run jriver (and windows 7/8) reliably?

Well, this is the issue really, unless someone has the exact combination of external equipment, i.e. DAC, as you then it's impossible to recommend something that will work with it.  I have no trouble with my external DACs (soundcard) after sleeping, in fact the DACs turn off when the computer is sleeping too because they're connected to USB ports that power down in sleep.  (Maybe it's that reset that makes it work...does yours turn off during sleep or does it stay on?)  Since I have no trouble, it suggests that MC is not the issue but the combination of motherboard and your DAC, including its drivers.

Basically, any low-level PC should be able to play a single audio file just fine. As long as it runs Windows, then MC should work. I can't see any reason why an Atom shouldn't handle it.

connersw

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 07:19:34 am »

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 09:45:38 am »

They're still expensive, but not prohibitively so now.  I have just under 1TB of media files

For audio only, I suppose.

I have 26TB right now, all told.  It grows by around a TB a month, though, not all of that is preserved long-term, of course.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 09:47:03 am »

I would recommend paying the little extra up front and saving yourself the hassle.  Any mobo w/ USB 2.0 and WOL should be fine.

I agree completely.  Get a Haswell Core i3.  It'll have WAY higher performance, and be far less troublesome.  Any Haswell will also support USB3 which could be handy as well.

csimon

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 09:48:28 am »

I have 26TB right now, all told.

Ah. It's all relative!  ;D

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 01:28:28 pm »

I would actually caution against this.  The issue is not the ability to run Windows and get MC working; it is the driver issues related to high-res audio.  Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, does not support USB audio class 2 (> 96kHz Sample Rate) natively because "there is no demand for it."  Regardless of what DAC you use, you are going to need to load a driver to get that resolution.   Most of these are just the generic driver provided with the DAC chip, and many of them are poorly written.  This will put CPU usage on that Atom over 50% and cause stuttering, regardless of the buffer.  DSD playback or any down-sampling/over-sampling in DSP will be extremely taxing. 

I run an Atom D2700 (which is generations past and faster than the 330) for my kid's HTPC, and it is "good enough" for what those needs are.  However, I would not recommend it for smooth, hassle free play back of high resolution audio.  You can get i3 barebones systems for not much more these days.  I would recommend paying the little extra up front and saving yourself the hassle.  Any mobo w/ USB 2.0 and WOL should be fine.

I think you are making some blanket statements that actually vary widely.

I use a Schiit Uber Bifrost DAC (one of the best under $1k) and their current version 1.03 Windows ASIO drivers work smoothly and trouble free.

I have a dual core 2.8ghz (2009) processor and JRiver MC19 CPU usage is currently about 1.5%.  I just changed to an SACD ISO (converted on the fly by MC19 to 176.4khz) and the CPU usage is currently about 8.5%.

Using the MC19 memory playback feature should prevent any of this from affecting the sound quality anyway.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 01:41:08 pm »

Just use the sleep features of your PC (assuming it is a modern board with good support) and keep it running all the time.  If it isn't a modern board, you're going to waste a bunch of time initializing BIOS things anyway, and your effort would probably be better spent on a newer, more modern system anyway.

Glynor,

Have the "sleep" issues been solved when running MC and Windows 7? I recall back a while ago - I tried to get "sleep" working...but for a multitude of annoying reasons - the machine would never go to sleep when I wanted it to (or even worse - wake up) when I needed it to.

Willing to give it another shot...but I distinctly remember some MC processes keeping the box in limbo where sleep was impossible.

Comments?

VP

csimon

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 01:54:30 pm »

I'm aware that people have seemingly had trouble with certain processes, although I have to say I haven't experienced that. I did have trouble exactly as you described when I first got this PC but it was solved by updating the LAN driver to the latest release, which gave extra options on the power management settings to ignore certain types of messages.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 02:32:17 pm »

I have a dual core 2.8ghz (2009) processor and JRiver MC19 CPU usage is currently about 1.5%.  I just changed to an SACD ISO (converted on the fly by MC19 to 176.4khz) and the CPU usage is currently about 8.5%.

Using the MC19 memory playback feature should prevent any of this from affecting the sound quality anyway.

That CPU is likely an order of magnitude more powerful than an Atom.  You can't compare usage like that (especially since you didn't say what kind of CPU it is).

Saying "a dual core x.xGHz CPU" is roughly as useful as describing what color it is.  A dual core Haswell i3 @ 2.2GHz != a dual core Atom @ 2.2GHz.  Not even close.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 02:35:33 pm »

VP, the issues you described are very likely machine-specific, and not related to MC at all.

A driver update might be all it takes, though manufacturer support for sleep modes has been a major focus of late.  There is guaranteed to be a big difference in support between a current model and one from 5 years ago or more.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 02:42:59 pm »

VP, the issues you described are very likely machine-specific, and not related to MC at all.

A driver update might be all it takes, though manufacturer support for sleep modes has been a major focus of late.  There is guaranteed to be a big difference in support between a current model and one from 5 years ago or more.

Well - the HTPC is very new and running a very modern Intel branded LAN card as all our machines here do. Is there any specific settings I need to look at from an "MC" prospective...or should I simply expect the HTPC to be asleep one minute and then magically awake itself when I fire up an MC client down the hall and try to access the MC Server?

My other previous issues with "sleep" especially on Windows 7 - was trying to get it to behave on a schedule. Ideally - this box "could" sleep from midnight to 5:30am - but cannot be unavailable at any other time. This is not as easy as it sounds without getting it Task Scheduler and other stuff

I think for the potential hassle of having this box sleep just 5.5 hrs out of any given day - I may as well just leave it on - and know it's available...

VP

csimon

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 02:54:56 pm »

Well - the HTPC is very new and running a very modern Intel branded LAN card as all our machines here do. Is there any specific settings I need to look at from an "MC" prospective...or should I simply expect the HTPC to be asleep one minute and then magically awake itself when I fire up an MC client down the hall and try to access the MC Server?

As stated, my issues were caused by the LAN driver.  Mine is Intel too. I had WOL turned on and the symptoms were that it wouldn't reliably go to sleep after 10 minutes, and when it did or I put it to sleep manually it would immediately wake up again or a few seconds later or at random intervals.

I updated the driver and it gave me an extra option in the WOL section of the Power Management properties of the LAN interface. There was now a checkbox for "Wake on Pattern Match", along with "Wake on Magic Packet" and "Wake on Link". I turned off the Pattern Match and that seems to have solved all my problems.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 02:55:26 pm »

... should I simply expect the HTPC to be asleep one minute and then magically awake itself when I fire up an MC client down the hall and try to access the MC Server?
Yes.  That's how it works.  I do this a lot at home.  Run Media Server on Windows start (MC Options for Startup) and Wake on Lan should just work:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Wake_on_Lan

Vocalpoint

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 02:57:48 pm »

Yes.  That's how it works.  I do this a lot at home.  Run Media Server on Windows start (MC Options for Startup) and Wake on Lan should just work: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Wake_on_Lan

Jim,

Thanks! Will check it out.

VP

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 03:01:26 pm »

OP: I have a JR Media Server machine that is setup to autologon (in a non-admin account, but with password enabled still) and auto start JRiver, so what you want to achieve is certainly possible (mine is not headless though). 
And Windows 8.1 boots and shuts down very fast, less than 15 seconds.

For your application, I suggest a low-cost LGA 1150 motherboard with a Pentium G3220.
The G3220 is a 3GHz dual core Haswell processor with an amazing price/performance ratio.

Think of the Pentium G3220 as a Haswell i3 with lower end graphic processor at almost half the price ($69, fan included !)
The Haswell Celerons are even cheaper but cannot do 64 bits and cut on the cache for just $10 to $20 less.

Haswell pricing at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671%2050001157%20600436886&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

Advantage of going Haswell: high performance at a very low power consumption.

Pick a motherboard without too many useless bells and whistles (cheaper and lower power).
Pick a reasonable power supply 300-360W (most people overspec them) but do not EVER cheap out on PSU quality.  I had a 300W 80+Bronze low noise Seasonic for $35.
I suggest you stick to 2x4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 memory.  4GB would be enough short term, but for how long ?

Have fun !

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 03:18:13 pm »

Pick a motherboard without too many useless bells and whistles (cheaper and lower power).

And boots quicker.

The vast majority of boot time "lag" with modern systems is initializing those "extras" hung off the motherboard (extra SATA controllers, auxiliary USB Controllers, PCIe bridge chips, sound devices, fancy LAN devices, and a whole host of other similar things).

* I prefer Intel LAN.  You can buy a PCIe card though, so don't worry much about the one onboard on the motherboard (but if it is a decent Intel one, bonus).
* I'd (still) avoid Atom, though Bay Trail is so much closer to acceptable.  Depends on the use-case, but for this kind of use in a desktop case, I don't think Atom is well optimized or worth the price difference (something that runs on a battery might have very different math).
* I agree about a high-quality PSU.  I like Seasonic.
* I'd also go 8GB, and NO WORSE than DDR3-1600.  If you find higher-speed RAM for roughly the same price, though, that isn't bad.  Don't worry much about the memory timings (CL9 vs CL10 vs CL11) though lower timings at the same speeds are an indicator of quality.  GSkill RAM has treated me very, very well for the past few years.  Crucial has, unfortunately, gone way downhill.

* I don't disagree on the Pentium recommendation above.  That might be a good sweet spot for an audio-only, headless (or mostly headless) system.  The point is, that I'd go Haswell, and not an Atom.  Any dual-core or greater Haswell will probably do what you need, so judge on price.  If you can get a Core i3, however, cache matters.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 03:25:00 pm »

If you can get a Core i3, however, cache matters.
That is my point !  Same cache.  The G3220 is almost an i3...
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/290/Intel_Core_i3_i3-3220_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_G3220.html
(although they are comparing 3.3GHz Ivy-i3 vs 3.0GHz Haswell G3220)

connersw

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 04:26:26 pm »

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 05:22:47 pm »

That is my point !  Same cache.  The G3220 is almost an i3...
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/290/Intel_Core_i3_i3-3220_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_G3220.html
(although they are comparing 3.3GHz Ivy-i3 vs 3.0GHz Haswell G3220)

I wasn't looking at the specific part you mentioned, but that comparison (and most of them from cpu-world, unfortunately) isn't very good.

* Most desktop Haswell Pentiums only have 3MB of L3, whereas most Core i3s have 4MB.  Haswell was "designed" for larger caches (the desktop Core i5 and i7s have 6-8MB), so that cut can be substantial for an already cache-limited CPU at the low end.
* All mobile Haswell Pentiums only have 2MB of L3, wheras all Core i3s have 3MB.
* As connersw pointed out, none of the Pentiums have HyperThreading.  With the larger front-end since Nehalem, HyperThreading has actually become very useful in most desktop use-cases, and almost never hurts you (unlike the prior implementation on the P4)
* Most of the Pentium and Celeron CPUs have no support for x86 extensions such as AVX, AVX2, FMA3 and AES-NI.  All of the Core i3s do (I couldn't find specifics saying NONE of the Pentiums do, so you'd have to look).  AVX and AVX2 in particular can impart impressive performance gains in the right workload (the fused multiply-add can be massive).  The FMA3 SMID extensions are also massive (one of the nice things about Bay Trail over prior Atoms is the vastly improved SMID engine).  And, of course, the AES hardware block is huge if you'll ever encrypt volumes on the system with AES (I'd always use AES combined with another cypher, so I'd see less benefit here).

There are a number of things you lose with the Pentiums, besides raw clockspeed and cache.  It all depends on the workload, but in my estimation, it often isn't worth the price difference.  If it'll work for your workload, though, and you find a particularly good deal (or all the i3s are selling at or near list), well... Then it might be worth it.  I was just making a general statement that the i3s are much less "gimped".

You can no longer compare CPUs based solely on clock speed, or even cache for that matter.  Atom, Pentium, and Core processors are all different architectures targeted towards different uses.  Celeron is a bit of an outlier.  It is basically just low bin split chips, that we used to make key chains out of, that we started selling to customers at a deep discount in the late 90s to combat AMD's aggressive price war.  They can be based on Pentium or Core architecture. 

I agree with everything you said in principle.  However, right now (so long as you don't buy an old part) the Pentiums and Celerons Intel is shipping ARE Haswell, so it is the same architecture.  They're certainly gimped ones and ones that bin out low.  Intel's process is so good though, that I bet they produce far more high-binned parts than they can sell at high-end prices (hence all the artificial segmentation we see now).

That said, you're right that Bay Trail is a very different architecture, and that clockspeed isn't everything.

Like I said, I agree generally.  But Haswell is Haswell, inside.  ;)

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 05:55:25 pm »

Thank you Glynor, I was not aware of those architectural differences within Haswell.

'nose

madman1887

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 06:04:31 pm »

this info is very useful, thanks. ill probably be going for a G3220 based system. my dac is mains powered so it don't rely on usb power, but it is within my preamp so if i put my preamp on stand by, it powers off the dac.

could anyone recommend a good chassis that i could use? i want something as small as possible, preferably silver metal finish and with some sort of a VFD i can use with jriver (maybe imon) I've already got an ir receiver and winlirc programmed to use a remote with jriver

I've seen this i like but not fully convinced on the build quality and power supply limitation:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121229237328

thanks a bunch guys

connersw

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 06:57:07 pm »

madman1887

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 03:27:31 pm »

I've ordered the Intel Pentium G3220 processor and my motherboard, the new Gigabyte GA-H81N. I will be running Windows 8(or 7). I want to only have JRiver MC19 running as the active application, and I will need WinLIRC and WinLIRChelper to be able to interact with the PC using my own remote control. I will also be running LCDSmartie (and the JRiver plugin for VFD/LCD displays) so I can show song info and playback info on the VFD. That's pretty much all I need. Boot up time is no longer critical, but if I can get it to go to standby/ready itself out of standby quickly, that would be awesome, if it can cut power to harddrives/fans/most stuff. I will be using USB as the output to my XMOS based self-powered DAC.

The main thing is I want this set up to work absolutely perfectly, without any hiccups. I am debating between a 64/128gb SSD drive for all the programs and everything apart from the music itself which can go on a conventional drive, and I am also unsure as to how much ram to get, would 4gb be enough? When I say I want it to work perfectly, I mean I want to to be as responsive as possible using my remote control, and I think it should be fine to have the actual music on a conventional hard drive, as long as the OS and programs are on an SSD?

So, is 64gb SSD enough for OS/programs, and 4gb of ram?
Hope to hear from you guys.

Many thanks.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 11:53:32 am »

If your machine is to be headless, obviously you don't care about video and it's going to be audio only.
Unless your audio collection is huge, why not go for a single 250 or 500 GB SSD and skip the hard drive ?

You would have no moving parts apart from a few fans (CPU, PSU), lower power, quicker, more silent and reliable.

I would suggest making 2 partitions, a 60GB OS + programs, and the balance for a D: drive holding the data.  This will make possible "OS maintenance" while leaving the data undisturbed.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 04:32:47 pm »

The main thing is I want this set up to work absolutely perfectly, without any hiccups. I am debating between a 64/128gb SSD drive for all the programs and everything apart from the music itself which can go on a conventional drive, and I am also unsure as to how much ram to get, would 4gb be enough? When I say I want it to work perfectly, I mean I want to to be as responsive as possible using my remote control, and I think it should be fine to have the actual music on a conventional hard drive, as long as the OS and programs are on an SSD?

So, is 64gb SSD enough for OS/programs, and 4gb of ram?

I'd go for 120-128 GB for the SSD boot drive.  Better performance.

And 8GB of RAM.

I find that having a big 5400 RPM hard drive for music files works very well. 

You might turn off Windows update, indexing for search and possibly JRiver updating.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2014, 09:45:25 pm »

You might turn off Windows update, indexing for search and possibly JRiver updating.
+1   On a headless, I would turn off ALL auto updates, as it has to be appliance-like.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 10:21:46 pm »

On a headless, I would turn off ALL auto updates, as it has to be appliance-like.

The only way I'd turn off auto-updates on ANY currently reasonable OS (including OSX and Linux) is if it is air-gapped.

And if it is air-gapped, it is pretty useless.

Otherwise, you're not building a box for yourself.  You're building it for people like me.  Well, like me, but meaner and/or greedier.  Because they're going to own it.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2014, 01:43:01 am »

Glynor,

Have the "sleep" issues been solved when running MC and Windows 7? I recall back a while ago - I tried to get "sleep" working...but for a multitude of annoying reasons - the machine would never go to sleep when I wanted it to (or even worse - wake up) when I needed it to.

Willing to give it another shot...but I distinctly remember some MC processes keeping the box in limbo where sleep was impossible.

Comments?

VP

If you experience the PC won't go to sleep open the command center (CMD.EXE) as administrator and type: powercfg -requests
It will tell you what is preventing the PC from going to sleep. I no longer experience problems of this sort related to JRiver.

Best regards,
Mikkel

madman1887

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 02:45:25 am »

I'd go for 120-128 GB for the SSD boot drive.  Better performance.

And 8GB of RAM.

I find that having a big 5400 RPM hard drive for music files works very well. 

Good advice. I do like the idea of turning off all the extra auto update stuff and indexing, and I am going to look in to it and see how I can turn off as many things as possible. I guess if I ever need to update something/jriver, I can just remote in to the computer using my laptop. Having an appliance-like experience is my ultimate goal. I want to forget that it's a PC, and just use it like another source for my hi fi.
I'll process my music/rip on my laptop anyway, and just transfer the music to the pc via network anyway, and the oc should automatically add the new files to the jriver library itself as i will enable the auto import. I'll use my phone to navigate through my library, and I'll use my remote to control music playback (I'm not keen on apps, a remote gives a better experience IMO) and i should hopefully have my VFD working too!

Odisyus

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2014, 08:58:00 pm »

OP: You might want to check out http://www.computeraudiophile.com/section/c-p-s-489/. They have four music server designs starting from about $500.  I'm using one of the Atom based motherboard models (1.86 GHz dual core Atom N2800 CPU).  The PC is fanless, ssd HD based and has ultra-low power consumption (<25W).  It's completely silent when running.

I'm running Windows 8.1 / JRiver MC19, feeding a 24/192 capable USB DAC.  It runs flawlessly with source material from 16/44 to 24/192.  I'm posting this using Internet Explorer running on the Music Server while JRiver is feeding the DAC.  Total CPU is around 14% right now with MC19 using around 1.5%.  The Atom processor has plenty of power - unless you want to start with room correction or other such add-ons.

One note about running headless; I found that, on occasion, Windows will get flummoxed to the extent that you'll need a monitor to see what it's waiting for, usually a dialogue box from a Windows update.  On a couple of occasions I wasn't able to remote in either; had to physically connect a monitor and keyboard.

I now have an HD TV connected and use it as a PC, JRiver Display or to stream Netflix.  Much happier this way.

Regards
CAPS v3 Topanga / JRiver MC27 | Synology 218+ NAS | SOtM sms-200 neo | iFi iUSB Power | Wyred4Sound DAC 2v2SE | Odyssey Khartago Extreme | Magnepan 1.7s

hlesser

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2014, 12:00:54 pm »

I see some NUC's have Thunderbolt.  That'd be an excellent way to communicate with library storage locally and would avoid bus issues with concurrent use of the USB for a USB DAC.  Is this in the cards?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2014, 12:25:52 pm »

... bus issues with concurrent use of the USB for a USB DAC. 
There should normally be no problems using USB for multiple purposes.  I don't want to touch off another "discussion" on this, but I do want to point out that the problem suggested is not a real concern.

madman1887

• Recent member
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2014, 07:20:36 pm »

Update:

Built the system, so far so good.

Intel G3220 Haswell processor
Gigabyte GAH81N motherboard
Kingston Hyperx Genesis 2x4gb ddr3 1600mhz ram
Kingston V300 120gb SSD
Zalman CNPS2x CPU cooler
eBay Chinese L100 chassis with a crappy 120w outboard PSU
Toshiba 500gb 2.5" 5400rpm HDD
Winlirc IR sensor from eBay based off of a USB sound card

All programs installed on SSD:
Windows 8
MC19
WinLIRC
WinLIRChelper
LCDSmartie
MCLCD plugin

Music is all on the 500gb HDD.

The idea was to have a hi-fi separate like experience remote controlled, to be able to listen to an album and have basic control using the remote. I use my preamp's remote to control playback and I use Gizmo to actually select what I want to hear.

At the moment, I have WinLIRChelper just emulating keyboard shortcuts and MC19 runs permanently in theatre view to occupy full-screen and focus. It does the job but I'm sure there is a much better way to do it. My LCD2usb driver is also pretty nuts, it's not digitally signed so it causes a lot of problems with installing the driver/the driver disappears on reboot. So for now, It's not a completely perfect system headless, but it does work pretty well once it's boot up.

It's actually a LOT smaller than it looks in the photo, and it's got a bit of plastic residue on the front from the cheap plastic film that was covering it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up