INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVDFab shut down by US court  (Read 8255 times)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
DVDFab shut down by US court
« on: March 12, 2014, 01:24:40 pm »

I hope this is not the fate for other similar programs making PC playback less feasible:

http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-court-orders-seizure-dvdfab-domain-names-funds-140310/
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

Re: DVDFab shut down by US court
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 03:16:03 pm »

It bothers me how much US law is based around protecting corporate profits than protecting people's rights.
Invasive DRM on a product like that should not be legal.
If it were up to the movie studios, now that most new computers don't have optical drives, we would all have to buy everything again rather than being able to convert a DVD or Blu-ray that we already own.

By all means, prevent people from distributing copyrighted material, but it shouldn't be illegal to watch content I have purchased on any of the devices I own.
But they keep extending copyright laws as well, so eventually everything is going to be copyrighted indefinitely it seems.
Just look at what should have entered the public domain in 2014: http://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/publicdomainday/2014/pre-1976

I'm not going to lie - it concerns me that JRiver is located in the US.

dean70

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 03:35:34 pm »

That's the thing, it doesnt really matter which country you are based, they can still go after you.  >:(

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 03:52:51 pm »

DVDFab is back on new URLs after yesterday’s DVDFab.com domain seizure by the AACS LA. The company website is now available on the domain names en.dvdfab.jp and dvdfab.cn where it’s business as usual.

mmm History Repeats itself - how did the DeCSS case work out for the industry?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 04:42:04 pm »

I agree and I'm glad someone else has finally noticed - it has always annoyed me that they can't even spell the name of their product correctly!  JRiver MediaCentre  ;D

I was going to post something more serious but then realised...what I was typing was just armchair lawyer commentary without any basis in fact so for once I'll refrain.  
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 05:48:53 pm »

Am I going crazy, or did 90% of my post disappear?

Sorry that was me by mistake - I thought I'd hit Reply (but hit EDIT by mistake) - I think I've put it all back!  :-[
JRiver CEO Elect

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 06:33:42 pm »

Sorry that was me by mistake - I thought I'd hit Reply (but hit EDIT by mistake) - I think I've put it all back!  :-[

jmone is a really top bloke!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 06:59:28 pm »

The powers gone to jmones head already  ;D

Not at all! ...but I fixed your post  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 10:51:43 pm »

It bothers me how much US law is based around protecting corporate profits than protecting people's rights.
Invasive DRM on a product like that should not be legal.
If it were up to the movie studios, now that most new computers don't have optical drives, we would all have to buy everything again rather than being able to convert a DVD or Blu-ray that we already own.

By all means, prevent people from distributing copyrighted material, but it shouldn't be illegal to watch content I have purchased on any of the devices I own.
But they keep extending copyright laws as well, so eventually everything is going to be copyrighted indefinitely it seems.
Just look at what should have entered the public domain in 2014: http://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/publicdomainday/2014/pre-1976

Take a quote out of Carrie Fisher's play book:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wntX-a3jSY
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 12:11:52 am »

Oh darn. I just picked DVDfab Passkey over AnyDVD HD, because of their other software offerings, which I haven't bought yet. I needed one those applications to watch a legitimately rented Blu-ray on my HTPC. My legal copy of PowerDVD 10 should have been able to play it, but would not, and even though it tried to update itself to play it, failed repeatedly.

So where is the law being broken there? Nowhere, just like most legitimate users.

But DVDfab have their new site up already. I wonder if they would try prosecuting in China? Maybe that is what all these new trade agreements are about.   ? >:(

I was recently forced to buy a movie from iTunes for the first time, if I wanted to get a digital copy. Digital was one third to one quarter the price of buying a DVD. Also DVD would have been delayed weeks, and was lower quality video. iTunes was the best compromise over Google Play, Amazon, Sony, etc. Because of the DRM I was forced to install iTunes onto my HTPC. I did NOT want to do that, since it could mess up my MC installation, taking over file type association and so on. I spent hours trying to work out a better way to do it, over several days, and hence delayed seeing it. A mate of mine was given a ripped copy and enjoyed it immediately. So the guy who broke the law had no trouble and the guy who legitimately bought the movie suffered a long delay, lots of frustration, and risked upsetting or ruining his entertainment environment. Yeah, DRM makes so much sense.

PS: I love the JRiver forum software's conversion of the second word I wrote to "darn". In Australia the work I used is not a swear word, and basically means the same thing. You Americans are so cute.  ;)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 12:26:57 am »

PS: I love the JRiver forum software's conversion of the second word I wrote to "darn". In Australia the work I used is not a swear word, and basically means the same thing. You Americans are so cute.  ;)

Try writing "c​​h​i​c​k​e​n".
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 06:47:33 pm »

chicken

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 07:06:23 pm »

What, are you chicken or something?!
I ate some chicken for dinner last night. It was a bit tough.
Why did the chicken cross the road? (Because that's where the bath was!)

Okay, like JimH I couldn't resist. Sorry for the off topic. . . Not really though.  :D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 07:52:35 pm »

I just use "DVD Decrypter", and then convert to mp4 avi files.

it don't work on Blu-ray but I really don't convert movies I buy, since I normally don't watch them more than once.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up