INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Route All Windows Audio through JRiver  (Read 18731 times)

JRU

• Junior Woodchuck
Route All Windows Audio through JRiver
« on: March 20, 2014, 11:47:18 am »

Hello,

I wanted to know how to route all my audio through JRiver, including video games,youtube and so on.

I found this thread -

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84993.0

But I did not fully understand what to do, a step by step guide with some links would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Route All Windows Audio through JRiver
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 12:05:51 pm »

You can't.  Not yet anyway.

That only allows you to route things through MC with applications that use ASIO, which is generally a "Pro" audio interface, and is used in pro audio applications like ProTools and whatnot.

No "regular" windows audio application, like games and web browsers, will be able to use ASIO devices at all, natively.

But.... There's some stuff I can't really talk about.  I don't know how far along it is, but...

Keep your eyes and ears open.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 12:16:47 pm »

You can't.  Not yet anyway.

That only allows you to route things through MC with applications that use ASIO, which is generally a "Pro" audio interface, and is used in pro audio applications like ProTools and whatnot.

No "regular" windows audio application, like games and web browsers, will be able to use ASIO devices at all, natively.

But.... There's some stuff I can't really talk about.  I don't know how far along it is, but...

Keep your eyes and ears open.

He can also use WASAPI loopback, which is currently available.  It will re-route all system audio through JRiver, you just have to remember to turn it on.  If you need some assistance on configuring loopback, check out this post:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70242.msg486195#msg486195

1.  To use the loopback you have to have another soundcard in the system. I use the motherboard soundcard. Nothing is actually connected to it, but the drivers still need to be installed. You might need to turn autosense off in the motherboard drivers. I have the Realtek HD Audio on the motherboard on my work PC and home HTPC. Disabling front jack detection in the Realtek HD Audio Manager is what actually enables the analog output from front and rear outputs.
2.  Set the above soundcard as 7.1 (with fullrange speakers) and as the default soundcard in the Windows Control Panel.
3.  Set JRiver's Audio output [whatever your soundcard is]
4.  Before playing games or watching something in the browser, put JRiver in loopback mode by going to File > Open URL and enter live://loopback [or open live, WASAPI Loopback]

I edited a little to make it more applicable to the current options in JRiver.

JRU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 12:21:44 pm »

mwillems,

The post speaks about REW, I do not need that. Would it be too much trouble to post a short guide to do this for all windows audio? I would certainly appreciate it!

Edit : Just saw the updated quote.

Thanks a lot! I will try this. Just need to check if my motherboard has any audio.

robydago

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 12:33:22 pm »

"video games,youtube "

I used wasapi loopbak a couple of times so I'm not 100% sure, but if I remember correctly audio and video get out of synch so basically it's not usable with video if audio sync is important
Is that the case?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 01:10:08 pm »

I've used WASAPI Loopback for over two years now for routing game and internet audio (YouTube, etc.) through JRiver. It works quite well, but there are latency issues sometimes with YouTube audio.

My family uses it with no problems. All you have to do is start the loopback and then assign a radio button to it. Whenever you click the radio button, JRiver is in loopback mode.

ASIO Bridge from VB-Audio Cable now works better and has lower latency than WASAPI Loopback. It automatically routes all audio going to the default audio device through JRiver. There is more info in this thread:
JRiver ASIO Audio driver as default Windows driver?

You need to check "Tools > Options > Audio > Advanced > Live playback latency" for the best settings when using WASAPI Loopback.

njoak

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 02:04:17 pm »

If you have varying number of channels, can you make JRiver notice this when using ASIO Bridge?

JRU:

I use the softwares called Hi-Fi Cable and ASIO Bridge. They come in a package. After installation, Hi-Fi Cable works like a virtual sound card and you can choose it to be Windows default sound device. All Windows sound is then sent to it. Using the part of the package called ASIO Bridge you can then pass this sound to JRiver. This way, all Windows sounds enters JRiver. I believe you need version 19 of JRiver.

It works well, apart from my question above (I can't get JRiver to realise when the incoming sound is only stereo, so it can be up mixed with JRSS). Here's roughly how I did, taken from memory:

1. Download and install the Hi-Fi Cable/ASIO Bridge package: http://vbaudio.jcedeveloppement.com/Download_CABLE/HiFiCableAsioBridgeSetup_v1006.zip (direct download link). You'll need ro reboot your PC in the process.

2. Open Windows sound preferences and choose "Hi-Fi cable input" as your default playback device. Use the "Configure" button to set it up, just like any other sound card (number of speakers and so on).

3. Find and open the program ASIO Bridge on your PC. Look for the text "ASIO Device: " in the black display area. Click it and choose JRiver Media Center 19.

4. Click the button "ASIO OFF". The black display area changes and JRiver will probably open if it not already is. In the JRiver display you should see "lpc", a counting timer, "Live" and "1 of 1".

5. At this point it should actually work, so try playing something on your computer.

6. If you get problems with crackling sound or audio being out of sync with video, get back to the forum... ;)

JRU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 02:21:10 pm »

Excellent replies, thanks everyone.

Which would be the best method of doing this? The ASIO method or the WASAPI loopback....or am I confused and they are the same thing?

Sounds like ASIO is the way to go if it has lower latency.

njoak, that is what I was looking for, a step by step guide. Thanks!

njoak

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 04:01:30 am »

The two methods are not the same. Personally I have not tried WASAPI loopback so can't really comment much on that. One requirement with that method, however, is that you need an unused sound driver on your computer (you set that as the default sound device on Windows and JRiver captures sound going to that with the WASAPI loopback feature). Typically you use the motherboard onboard sound for that, assuming you have a separate sound card or DAC to output sound from JRiver to your speakers.

Apart from that and the latency difference it might depend on your use scenarios which of the methods is most convenient. For instance, if you play something from inside JRiver you need to restart the "capture everything" mode afterwards - with WASAPI by starting the loopback from inside JRiver, with ASIO by opening ASIO Bridge and clicking the ASIO ON/OFF button twice.

Both methods are relatively easy to try though, so if I were you I would just pick one and see how it works out. I tried the ASIO method first and have not seen a reason to switch to the WASAPI method yet, but you might have a different experience.

JRU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 11:07:12 am »

I followed the instructions and installed the ASIO bridge, it seems to work in case anyone is wondering. Will know after I install my speakers, right now only looking at the sound card outputs which suggests all is well. The SR in the ASIO bridge software seems to fluctuate, why is this happening?

I have another question, when I play something in JRiver after playing something from Windows through the ASIO bridge then JRiver does work but when I go back to play something from windows it does not work and I need to restart the ASIO bridge. Is this normal? Is there someway that it is seamless and does not require such switching every time I go from JRiver to the rest of Windows?

Thanks to everyone who posted, it really helped.

connersw

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 07:35:58 am »

Before the accident, Matt hinted that perhaps something was in the works that would allow JRiver to do this w/o having to use Loopback:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85535.msg584428#msg584428

I heard a rumor that you may not need live://loopback all that much longer ;)

Curious if this is still in the works or if it was something only Matt was working on?  Or maybe I just read too much into it. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 10:32:55 am »

We don't have anything to announce at this time.

pac10coastie

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 12:55:21 pm »

An idea I proposed was getting JRiver to sync with a freeware program called Equalizer APO, or perhaps JRiver own version, which rather then being a driver is an APO that sits in the audio stack and can equalize all WDM audio (PEQ only at this point, but the author seemed to think convolution would be easy as well.) That way use JRiver with ASIO whenever possible, but for instances of WDM audio EQ APO would sit in the background and kick in automatically. set it and forget it. You can use these separately, but would be nice to use JRiver as the interface and upload settings to EQ APO so that you don't even need to mess with it. I need a family friendly HTPC, and have tried loopback and various VAC's, all of them buggy and latency terrible. I don't want to have to leave a set of instructions and trouble shooting tips for my wife to use the thing either, she is a very basic user. A driver would be ideal, but this EQ APO seems like a great consolation in the meantime if they could just jive together.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 02:12:06 pm »

I use the softwares called Hi-Fi Cable and ASIO Bridge
Instead of software I use an actual cable.

I use my on board soundcard as my default device with optical out. I connect the optical out to the optical in on my dedicated soundcard which uses ASIO that MC can pickup using ASIO Line-in.

I'm not sure how it compares to the other ways described here. I use it for games and audio which work fine. I not sure how it stays in sync when watching video.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 02:37:44 pm »

I need a family friendly HTPC, and have tried loopback and various VAC's, all of them buggy and latency terrible.
ASIO Bridge from VB-Audio Cable works great.

If you have latency issues, you need to check several places for settings:
  • audio device driver
  • VB-Audio ASIO Bridge Options
  • Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings
  • Tools > Options > Audio > Advanced > Live Playback Latency

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 12:42:20 am »

This also may be of interest:

Virtual Audio Cable

http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

jdubs

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 02:31:39 pm »

We don't have anything to announce at this time.

Any closer??  ;D

-Jim

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 06:29:35 pm »

No.
Pages: [1]   Go Up