INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newsletter: Is JRiver Better than iTunes?  (Read 11609 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Newsletter: Is JRiver Better than iTunes?
« on: March 21, 2014, 10:18:19 am »

This newsletter went out yesterday.

Jim
---------
Friends of JRiver
At CES this year, most high end audio manufacturers were using JRiver Media Center.  More than 50 manufacturers now recommend JRiver to their customers.

JRiver is often recommended over iTunes by well regarded sources.  Here are two of the most recent.

Crutchfield in their March catalog (page 50):
"Although iTunes is great at organizing your music, it doesn't provide the best sound quality, and won't play some file types.  One popular and great-sounding alternative is JRiver Media Center."  Crutchfield

TheStreet.com's Gary Krakow, in his article on high end audio:
" You can use iTunes if you'd like, but better sound quality can be obtained by using dedicated software from JRiver ..."  TheStreet

Music Services
Neil Young's Pono service is having a successful Kickstarter campaign to launch a high end audio service that proposes to deliver access to studio quality sound.  The Kickstarter goal was $800,000, but they've raised over $4,000,000.  Pono on Kickstarter

JRiver's Downloader has been used by HDtracks customers for about a year.   Now Acoustic Sounds also offers it.  Both are leaders in the delivery of High Resolution audio.  HDtracks is in MC's tree under Services.

Record Year
Thanks to you, for the fourth straight year, JRiver Media Center sales grew by 40% or more.    This success lets us continue to build a world class media development team.

TV and Video
JRiver now supports multiple set top boxes, XBMC file compatibility, and HTTP Live Streaming to Gizmo.  MC19 Features

Gizmo
Reliability has been improved.  Gizmo now has a user configurable cache, so it can load music to play when you leave home, or when Internet connections are unreliable.  This also saves on data plan use.  

Ratings are now available on Gizmo.  Play and rate on your Android, and Gizmo will update the server.

Update or Upgrade?
If you purchased MC for Windows any time after July 1, you can update by downloading the latest and installing it.  You'll get all these new features and more, with no additional cost.  Download

If you have an older version of MC for Windows, and haven't purchased MC19 yet, you can upgrade now for $26.98  Upgrade to MC19 (Windows) .  MC18 for Mac users can upgrade to MC19 for Mac for $26.98.  No discount is available from one OS to the other.

Overlooked Features
For cover art or other images, MC for Windows has a simple photo editor.  Select any image, right click and choose "Edit image" to begin.  You can crop, rotate, etc.  Old faded color photos can be improved by using "Adjust".  Out of focus pictures may benefit from "Sharpen".  "Heal" lets you repair minor defects.  When you save your work, MC won't overwrite your original unless you tell it to.  It saves a "version" (changes only) so you can always return to an earlier version and start over.  The best way to learn is to try it on an image you don't care about.  

That brings up MC's ability to capture a screenshot.  On the desktop, you can copy an image to the clipboard.  Use your keyboard's Print Screen key to copy the whole desktop image to the clipboard.  Or use Alt and Print Screen keys to copy the window in focus.  In MC, open Camera in the lower left corner, and select Copy from Clipboard, then Acquire.

More on Keyboard Shortcuts from Wikipedia.

Best regards,

JRiver

Unsubscribe   Getting Started   FAQ   Restoring a License   Wiki   Forum

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Newsletter: Is JRiver Better than iTunes?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 11:47:08 am »

I've had some nice responses, some very funnny.  I'll copy a few here.

------
Most of us started with an ipod and Itunes but soon you find out that after messing with more than 16.000 files Itunes is not so reliable anymore, the database realy sucks and more than once the files start to disappaer or change places and/or names..Looked and tried a lot of other Music progs, but it was never good enough, until one day i found “JRiver Media Center” it was love at first site.

The Media Center 19 database never failes me, i have 65.000 tracks

-------

That's a pretty cool email Jim. You guys should be proud of everything you've done!

------

This is really good. Don't know some of the technical talk but I like the way it sounds.

-----

Congrats jriver! Everybody loves our family parties because they all know I can play any song they desire.

-----

JRiver by far from an ordinary and musically savvy happy customer.

----

I used to listen to iTunes, and now a combination of Sonos and JRiver.  The iTunes listening experience is not as good a JRiver, but it does make stuff easy.   Sonos has useful multi-room capability.  I like JRiver's audio competitive edge, thanks for a great product.

------

What a stupid question. JRiver is vastly superior to iTunes. Everything about iTunes is inferior. From its music quality to the player its self. Keep up the good work with Media Center.

------

If you play real instruments and appreciate the real sound of music you need jriver,  it let's you enjoy music the way you should.... Real music is not mp3. Mp3 ruined good sounding music, because you can take away the sound quality just to have a bigger playlist. Ipod killed high quality music. Until jriver.

------

Oh, hell yes. iTunes once again nuts itself, and I lost all my playlists.  iTunes, imma quit you...

------

Where is this question originating from?   How can a sweet fruit be compared to a vegetable.

------

You should include the fact that you  (no one) can NOT capture a screenshot in certain circumstances. If the video card does not allow the OS access to the video memory, the created screen you see will not be avaiable for any screen shot application to capture.

you can work around this issue if you turn off hardware acceleration for the video card. Some video cards may not give this option any more, but this is the only certain way to ensure that the screen capture will work on every computer. With software rendering, the CPU has guaranteed access to the video screen buffer and can capture the screen.

I know this cause I work for a large corporation as a Helpdesk desktop support person for 110 onsite and 2500+ offsite users. This is the standard workaround when print screen doesn't work.....

------

Yes

------

------

------

------

------

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 01:33:20 pm »

I recently had to use iTunes again to help someone fix their library.

It was shocking how bad it seemed now that I am used to the advanced features for library management that Media Center offers (even for simple things like renaming/tagging files) and how difficult it was to find what I was looking for compared to the library views I have set up in Media Center.

iTunes does have the advantage of being simpler to use initially - but that simplicity soon becomes very limiting.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 02:08:01 pm »

I recently had to use iTunes again to help someone fix their library.

It was shocking how bad it seemed now that I am used to the advanced features for library management that Media Center offers (even for simple things like renaming/tagging files) and how difficult it was to find what I was looking for compared to the library views I have set up in Media Center.

iTunes does have the advantage of being simpler to use initially - but that simplicity soon becomes very limiting.

I just got one of those requests today from our COO.  Sigh...  It makes my head want to explode every time I have to touch it.

Which it seems like happens all the time, since iTunes seems to like to explode its database.  ;) ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 02:54:48 pm »

jimwallen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 08:30:15 pm »

Yes! Like a Ferrari is to a Honda Civic!

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 06:51:24 pm »

iTunes? Is that fad still around?
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23
Pages: [1]   Go Up