INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hangs now fixed for me! [It was the antivirus]  (Read 2201 times)

FelixDaHousecat

• Recent member
Hangs now fixed for me! [It was the antivirus]
« on: May 10, 2014, 06:25:46 am »

I have just sent this to Bit Defender:

"I have to say that I am extremely disappointed with Bit Defender Internet Security and so much so that I have uninstalled from my computer and will definitely not recommend it to anyone.

A couple of weeks ago I accidentally visited a website that gave me virus that claimed to have encrypted all my files. It also made dramatic changes to Chrome and installed a program called Antivirus Live along with other search redirects. Bit Defender just sat there is if nothing had happened. It failed to prevent or warn me that anything was wrong and didn't find anything after running a scan. After doing some research I discovered that the Malware I had picked up was not uncommon and there was plenty of advice on how to rid myself of the virus. Thankfully my files were not really encrypted but this was no thanks to Bit Defender.  I downloaded and installed Malwarebytes and ran a scan. All malware was discovered and removed in about 15 minutes for free! What exactly is the point of installing Bit Defender when it is hopeless at preventing the most basic virus infection?

And finally, I use a program called J River Media Centre to organise and play media files. I have never had any issues with it but as soon as I installed Bit Defender the program would hang and crash regularly. I have tried to exclude its processes, program files and even my media folders but Bit Defender still didn't like it. Now that is cool! Give me anti-virus software that doesn't find viruses but interferes with a perfectly normal media player! Why on earth is Bit Defender interested in media files or its associated software? It’s just not necessary and is a recipe for disaster. I have spent almost a year trying to fix J River Media Centre and even doubting its viability. I have now installed  Kaspersky Internet Security along with Malwarebytes and J River hasn't hung or crashed once after leaving it running 24/7 for a week. I would have thought you would at least make sure Bit Defender doesn't mess with well-known popular software on your customer’s computers and maybe find a virus or two at the same time!"
Media Center 21.0.19
Windows 10 64 Bit
JRiver Media Center is soooo good!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Hangs now fixed for me!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 07:16:54 am »

Thanks for posting the problem and solution.  I'll add it to the list.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
Re: Hangs now fixed for me! [It was the antivirus]
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 08:05:55 am »

I can relate. BD was a continual problem for me when I had it loaded.

Running Symantec now and so far no dramas.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
Re: Hangs now fixed for me! [It was the antivirus]
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 08:35:13 pm »

The state of AV is frustrating.  Causing more problems and issues than it solves.  And I don't see that situation getting better as the AV companies add additional types of protection that will likely cause more compatibility problems and false positives.  Signature and heuristic scanning are not effective or proactive.  Numerous false positives and rarely catching actual threats.

The WSJ ran an article a week ago about the failure of AV that relies on signature scanning.  Brian Krebs did an article in response that explains why signature scanning is such a failure, and includes a link to the WSJ article at the end.
Antivirus is Dead: Long Live Antivirus!

Brian also has some tips for how to run a safer PC.  One tip being to use Microsoft's EMET utility.  I'm running EMET.  Even having it protect the "Media Center 19.exe" process with no problems.  EMET isn't totally install and go.  It does require manual importing of its "Popular Software" settings and manual action to add other programs to its protections.  It offers an additional layer of security and protection.  Has the advantage that its protections can be proactive and protect against some 0-day exploits (like the last IE exploit).

Basic AV like Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials along with EMET and other safer PC tools can give you protection without causing problems for JRiver Media Center.
Pages: [1]   Go Up