INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC crashing [solved]  (Read 3705 times)

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
MC crashing [solved]
« on: June 11, 2014, 10:20:11 am »

All was good when I last played MC19 on June 2.  I went away on vacation for a week, come back and start MC from JRemote and it can't find the server.   Then I hear WIN7 restarting, VNC into WIN7 and see that it has installed Windows updates and MC has installed its latest version.    Then MC crashes.  

I have tried uninstalling/rebooting MC and reinstalling various older versions and restoring my backup but it still crashes.  I restored Windows to a point just prior to the updates.  MC still crashes.     However, when I uninstall/reboot/reinstall MC (latest version..38) and DON'T restore my back up library MC does not crash.   Still not acceptable because, even though all the media files are there, all my settings are gone (audio, media network, television, etc.).   I am baffled but it appears to have something to do with back up library/settings.  Need help on  this one.          

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC crashing
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 10:25:26 am »

Here is the log file.  The previous log shows the crash.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 10:31:54 am »

Did you try restoring an MC backup?

Did you power everything down and back up?  Network, cable router, etc.

Please try this:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86699.0

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 10:34:51 am »

It seems to be working on this:
Changed: \\MACPRO-CF6465\MacProZFSPool\SACD Rips\Art Pepper, Red Garland, Paul Chambers, Philly Joe Jones - Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section\10 - Art Pepper, Red Garland, Paul Chambers, Philly Joe Jones - The Man I Love.dsf

I don't understand why that would crash, but you could try renaming the file to .tmp for a bit and see if the crash clears up.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 11:18:48 am »

Did you try restoring an MC backup?

Did you power everything down and back up?  Network, cable router, etc.

Please try this:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86699.0

Yes I have restored from MC backups.

Yes, I have powered down all server and client machines, all routers.

And, yes, I have read Glynor's wiki and tried whatever I could from it.   I have no anti virus programs installed or very little else.     I have the most recent MacMini running WIN7 in a bootcamp configuration connected to a MacPro acting as a network media server via ethernet.   Everything was working well for at least several weeks until I went away and returned after a week.   I also run MC under Mac OS on this same machine and have no issues.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 11:19:51 am »

It seems to be working on this:
Changed: \\MACPRO-CF6465\MacProZFSPool\SACD Rips\Art Pepper, Red Garland, Paul Chambers, Philly Joe Jones - Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section\10 - Art Pepper, Red Garland, Paul Chambers, Philly Joe Jones - The Man I Love.dsf

I don't understand why that would crash, but you could try renaming the file to .tmp for a bit and see if the crash clears up.

Tried that - no effect.   Welcome back, BTW.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 12:13:23 pm »

I just rebooted my MacPro back to Mountain Lion from Mavericks and now no crashes.   I bet it has something to do with SMB implementation on Mavericks.    But I have been running Mavericks for a couple of weeks serving files to JRiver without a problem.  Go figure.   I think I am getting closer to moving to a dedicated server independent of MAC and Windows OS.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC crashing [solved]
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 03:22:16 pm »

I'm using Mavericks everywhere and serve files to MC from a real Windows box.

Based on that UNC path Matt posted above, I suspect you aren't running a real Windows box as your file server, though (ZFS).  Samba is well known to have troubles, which is why Apple abandoned it.

I suspect the issue is likely on your File Server end.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 01:47:03 pm »

Based on that UNC path Matt posted above, I suspect you aren't running a real Windows box as your file server, though (ZFS).  Samba is well known to have troubles, which is why Apple abandoned it.

I suspect the issue is likely on your File Server end.

You are right.  I am running OpenZFS on Mavericks as my file server which is where the problem has occurred.    I am now back to Mountain Lion using ZFS and have not had any problems there.    That's why I think the new SMB implementation on Mavericks is the problem;  don't think it has anything to do with ZFS. 

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 01:58:36 pm »

I don't understand your setup, Glynor.   Are you serving files from a Windows box to MC on Mavericks?   Does SMB work better, then, Windows---->Mavericks than the other way around?   

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 02:04:55 pm »

Are you serving files from a Windows box to MC on Mavericks?   

Mostly, yes.

Though I do the reverse as well.  Apple completely abandoned AFP for Mavericks and has made SMB shares the default share mode for OSX going forward, if you didn't know.  But, yes, I do both.  My primary media library server is a Windows 8 box, though, and I only have a few items shared from my Mac Mini running Mavericks.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 08:53:01 am »

Mostly, yes.

Though I do the reverse as well.  Apple completely abandoned AFP for Mavericks and has made SMB shares the default share mode for OSX going forward, if you didn't know.  But, yes, I do both.  My primary media library server is a Windows 8 box, though, and I only have a few items shared from my Mac Mini running Mavericks.

Yes, I knew that Apple had moved to SMB2 and made it the default for Mavericks (but AFP is still there as well).   What I didn't know was the problems that Mavericks has using SMB2.   There are some workarounds posted that turn off SMB2 on Mavericks when accessing Windows shares.   But those don't work the other way around, namely, when sharing files from Mavericks to Windows as I do.   The workaround for that is to disable SMB2 on Windows and so force SMB1.    Not sure these kludges are worth it just to use Mavericks.   This is an Apple bug and they need to fix it.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 09:06:39 am »

For those serving files from Mavericks to Windows, I have successfully turned off SMB2 and SMB3 on Windows which has solved the sharing errors.  Here is the Microsoft instruction on how to do it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2696547

Microsoft doesn't recommend it except for troubleshooting purposes, but I haven't encountered any problems yet.  SMB1 is apparently good enough for HiRes audio/video.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 09:42:25 am »

Thanks for posting that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up