INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speakers for the JRiver Id  (Read 13024 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Speakers for the JRiver Id
« on: June 26, 2014, 04:57:24 pm »

The JRiver Id works well when you have a sound system or DAC you want to play to, but I've got a couple of situations (bedroom and garage) where I don't have anything to amplify the sound.  So I'm looking for some good powered speakers.  I'm willing to spend about $200 or $300.

In this thread, I'm going to keep notes on speakers I've tried.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Speakers for the JRiver Id
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 04:59:09 pm »

Marshall Stanmore
Nice sound, decent bass.  Two 1/8" stereo inputs, or RCA, or optical.

Retro styling.

$399 at Best Buy

I'm testing the analog out on the Id.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 05:00:43 pm »

I'm using a Lepai LP-2020A amplifier along with normal speakers.  

My dad also bought one of them to use on his porch (controlled with Gizmo!).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 05:01:28 pm »

Sony SRSX7
Good sound.  DLNA, Airplay, or Bluetooth. 1/8" stereo in.

Connect via Ethernet cable or wirelessly. 

$299 at Best Buy

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 05:19:42 pm »

Matt - do those little amps work OK.  I was looking at some (almost like a "plate" amp for speakers) but I was not convinced they had the headroom for anything half decent.
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 05:42:32 pm »

Matt - do those little amps work OK.  I was looking at some (almost like a "plate" amp for speakers) but I was not convinced they had the headroom for anything half decent.

They're fine for casual listening.  I'm using one in the bathroom and it's nowhere near the top of the volume.  But if you want to deliver a big thump, look elsewhere.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 07:51:31 pm »

@Jim- I don't own any powered speakers at the moment, but a good friend of mine has a pair of JBL LSR 2325P monitors and absolutely loves them.

Matt - do those little amps work OK.  I was looking at some (almost like a "plate" amp for speakers) but I was not convinced they had the headroom for anything half decent.

@jmone- I use a couple of the same amps around the house and I've found that for most non-subwoofer speakers and most listening environments they're plenty loud.  

Most speakers have a sensitivity in the high 80s or low 90s of dB at 1 watt.  That means that the little lepai will drive most speakers into the high 90's or low 100's, which is plenty loud enough for casual listening in most medium rooms.  I wouldn't use them in a "reference" system (for a couple reasons), but they're plenty loud enough for an office or kitchen (or bathroom  ;D ) setup.

One tip if you grab a lepai amp: consider replacing the ac adapter. The one's they ship with are a) a little cheap and b) can't deliver enough power for the amp to operate at it's rated power output.  A slightly higher volt or amp ac adapter will help squeeze a little more "oomph" out of it.  

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 08:09:59 pm »

Thanks.  Do you have a link to a better power supply?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 08:57:53 pm »

Thanks.  Do you have a link to a better power supply?

This is the one I bought to use with my Lepai 2020's: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z6ZR5O/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can see in the reviews that lots of other folks are buying them for the Lepai amps.

The Lepai is rated at 20 watts per channel (@4 Ohms) which means the power supply needs to be able to deliver 40 watts plus losses for amp operation (no amp is 100% efficient).  Class D amps are much more efficient than traditional amps (85% to 90% efficient at full power), so you really need at least 45 or 50 watts at the power supply to get to the rated power.  The supply it typically ships with can only deliver 24 watts; the one linked above can deliver 60 watts (and costs 6 dollars).

It's been a little while since I measured, but I think my Kill-A-Watt showed the amp/power adapter combo using about 4 or 5 watts when the amp was on but idle.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 11:57:01 pm »

The JRiver Id works well when you have a sound system or DAC you want to play to, but I've got a couple of situations (bedroom and garage) where I don't have anything to amplify the sound.  So I'm looking for some good powered speakers.  I'm willing to spend about $200 or $300.

I've used Audioengine A5 powered speakers for years for a near field application.  Sound is good throughout the room and the adjacent room.  The smaller A2s have gotten good reviews but they have a smaller bass driver and a bass response hump to compensate.  A fact of life for a speaker with a < 5" bass driver to sound reason able w/o a subwoofer.

The relatively new JBL LSR305 and 308 active monitors have gotten rave reviews.

The Audiophiliac blog has reviews of a number of inexpensive powered speakers including the new Emotiva Airmotiv 5s active monitors.
http://www.cnet.com/audiophiliac/

I'll look at the JBL 305s, the Amotiva monitors and some models in the $ 1000-2000 per pair range when I need new near field powered speakers.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 01:18:56 am »

Good sound.

Nice sound, decent bass.

Serious question. What is higher on your scale, "Good" or "nice with decent bass"?

I've actually been looking for powered speakers myself too.

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 01:47:10 am »

Sony SRSX7
Good sound.  DLNA or Bluetooth. 1/8" stereo in.

Connect via Ethernet cable or wirelessly.

$299 at Best Buy
Actually, it also supports AirPlay in addition to DLNA, Bluetooth, and the analog input.
The battery life is poor when using DLNA or AirPlay though, and I thought the sound quality was terrible.
DLNA does not work correctly with Media Center either - though I've yet to see DLNA work well with anything.

I bought a pair of them a while back and ended up returning them.

If you don't need portability - and I'm not sure why you would if they're connected to the id, I would not buy a wireless speaker at all. Buy a pair of active monitors or use regular bookshelf speakers with a small amp, which actually gives you proper stereo sound.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 06:51:05 am »

Serious question. What is higher on your scale, "Good" or "nice with decent bass"?

I've actually been looking for powered speakers myself too.
I thought, at first, that the Sony wasn't as good, but I think it was volume or conversion.  After using both for a while, they seemed similar in quality. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 06:54:49 am »

mwillems, thanks for the link.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 07:53:32 am »

I've modified some links above.  They use JRiver's tag at Amazon so we benefit a little from any purchases.

pcstockton

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 12:33:39 pm »

PLEASE look into the Canto powered speakers.  They have multiple connectivity options.  Ive seen them on serious sale recently.

These are the best bang-for-buck speakers I have heard period.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 01:19:39 pm »

Canton?  Which ones?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 02:57:30 pm »

I like the little m-audio powered speakers for tight places.  The audioengine ones are supposed to be very nice.   I'd get either over a lepai.  Not that I hate my lepai but I totally hate it.

pcstockton

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 06:17:07 pm »

Sorry.....  typo.

Kanto

They are nice at $400.  An absolute steal for under $300.

Bluetooth in, analog in, optical in, minijack in.  Remote.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 10:41:06 pm »

Sorry.....  typo.

Kanto.

http://www.amazon.com/Kanto-YUMIBLK-Bookshelf-Bluetooth-Technology/dp/B00AMAJG94

Bluetooth in, analog in, optical in, minijack in.  Remote.

Now those are just cool.....no matter who you are. Sub out too... what a great gift idea (to self even).
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 03:07:47 am »

Sorry.....  typo.

Kanto.

http://www.amazon.com/Kanto-YUMIBLK-Bookshelf-Bluetooth-Technology/dp/B00AMAJG94

Bluetooth in, analog in, optical in, minijack in.  Remote.

Yeh, they ARE nice, except that shipping and handling + taxes add 112 EUROS! Darn it and I can't find them here.

pcstockton

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 04:37:08 am »

I should note that they sound amazing at the price point.  Regardless of the connectivity they are decent powered speakers.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2014, 07:51:44 am »

I like the little m-audio powered speakers for tight places.  The audioengine ones are supposed to be very nice.   I'd get either over a lepai.  Not that I hate my lepai but I totally hate it.

Agreed. I can't tell you if they're 'golden ear' quality, but I've been very happy with my M-Audio speakers for $150. Solid cabinet construction, though the inputs are a little cheap.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2014, 07:54:58 am »

I should note that they sound amazing at the price point.  Regardless of the connectivity they are decent powered speakers.

You know what the heck. I took the plunge and ordered them.

My current pc speaker set was 45 euros and its 15 years old :P. It's so worn out now everything sounds like a fart :P.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 01:45:42 pm »

We like our Audioengine A5's too.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 04:16:24 pm »

I didn't need the Kantos but I totally bought them.  2nd day shipping for free!  Love Amazon Prime.  At least until the last of the local stores have closed.

pcstockton

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 07:29:44 pm »

You know what the heck. I took the plunge and ordered them.

My current pc speaker set was 45 euros and its 15 years old :P. It's so worn out now everything sounds like a fart :P.

Cool!!!  I think you will be very pleased.

Mitchco

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 02:30:31 am »

The JRiver Id works well when you have a sound system or DAC you want to play to, but I've got a couple of situations (bedroom and garage) where I don't have anything to amplify the sound.  So I'm looking for some good powered speakers.  I'm willing to spend about $200 or $300.

At $400 maybe a bit outside of the price range, but if looking for accuracy, relatively speaking, these are a good value: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B2031A.aspx

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 05:01:47 am »

Very happy with Audioengine A2.

Have just noticed they now have the A2+ which has USB input as well

Cheers

DarkPenguin

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 04:02:51 pm »

I didn't need the Kantos but I totally bought them.  2nd day shipping for free!  Love Amazon Prime.  At least until the last of the local stores have closed.

$194 for the red gloss ones, btw.  Depending on color they went for as much as $384.

pcstockton

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2014, 08:38:18 pm »

SWEET!  Red is even less than Black right now.  Let us know what you think.

-Patrick

DarkPenguin

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2014, 01:34:26 pm »

They're quite nice.  They're quite red.  Nicely finished.  Heavy.  They look the business.

Sound wise I'm happy.  Most people would be happy with these.  And when my hearing gets worse I might sell SpeakerHenge and put something like this in its place.  Hard to have a great feel for their sound since they are two feet apart, on the floor and in the middle of the room.  Still, they're good.

It has two USB charging ports but I don't think it can charge my ipad.  Seems fine with my iphone.

As an aside:  I wish anything on iOS, outside of a music player, would let you dump out to blutooth.  Even so I think I'll run my ipad guitar apps through this.  Amplitude, garage band, and rock prodigy all work great through this.

As an additional aside:  If anyone has tried Rock Prodigy before and thought it was pretty limited it has gotten way better.  They have included the instruction videos (rather than sending you to youtube) and have broken things out even more than before.  So you can learn a song in pieces.  Lessons are better organized and there are more practice bits.  Plus it uses the nice and easy side scrolling tab which my brain likes a lot better when I'm trying to learn.  All that said if my laptop had the HP to run Rock Smith I would probably use that since a couple of the amps in that sound amazing.

And I'm out of play time.

pcstockton

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2014, 07:29:37 pm »

Great to hear.

Get them up some stands or something and the same distance apart as you sit from them.  They should get even better.

Cheers!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2014, 12:57:30 am »

Aargh! My Kanto's should have been delivered yesterday. In fact, the guy was at the door. I was home. Window was open, people talking, some music playing. He must have heard that but he just left a note that I wasn't home. I doubt if he even rang the bell. I was home! &*^%^%$!

Oh well, I can pick them up at a DHL depot this afternoon when I come home from work.

Krunchy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2014, 04:41:23 am »

Same that the Sony but better?
The soundlink II Bose
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/enceintes-portables/bose-soundlink-ii-p14500/test.html

This one is also amazing
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/enceintes-portables/bose-soundlink-mini-p16894/test.html#resume

I don't work for Bose, one of my collegue have it and i'm pretty impressed.
Nevertheless, i'm not sure about the connections, it is at least bluetooh

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2014, 06:51:22 am »

Same that the Sony but better?
The soundlink II Bose http://www.lesnumeriques.com/enceintes-portables/bose-soundlink-ii-p14500/test.html

This one is also amazing http://www.lesnumeriques.com/enceintes-portables/bose-soundlink-mini-p16894/test.html#resume

I don't work for Bose, one of my collegue have it and i'm pretty impressed.
Nevertheless, i'm not sure about the connections, it is at least bluetooh
For what it's worth, the SoundLink II has been replaced with the SoundLink III now.

The Bose devices only connect via Bluetooth though, and both use rear-firing bass radiators which is not ideal if they'll be placed on a shelf, as you might do when using them in your home.
Bluetooth restricts your range, and means that you have to be tethered to a device, so it's not ideal for home audio.

And for home audio connected to Media Server, I would want playback controls on the device.
Bluetooth connected speakers usually skip these, as it's assumed that they will be tethered to your phone for control.
Even if I did carry a smartphone on me at all times, I just don't like using apps for things like skipping a track. It takes far too long to unlock the device, load the app, select the right zone, and then skip vs pressing a button on the speaker.

The Bose speakers are supposed to be very good for their intended purpose - a portable speaker - but I would not expect high fidelity audio from them.

I keep meaning to check out the SoundLink Mini, I always hear people saying good things about that for its size.
If I was buying something in that class, it would probably be between the SoundLink Mini and Fugoo Tough based on what I've heard about them.
I like the fact that the Fugoo Tough is ruggedized (aluminum enclosure, IP67 rated) and is probably the smallest speaker which includes tweeters. Even most of the large speakers only focus on mid-range and bass.

Logitech and JBL are worth checking out too. We have one of the old JBL portable speakers (before bluetooth speakers were a thing) and one of the UE Boom Minis, and both sound very good relative to their size/price.
I don't know whether that value continues as you move up the range. With JBL being a speaker company, I would expect most of their products to be quite good - I just don't know many people that have used them.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2014, 01:37:10 pm »

Aargh! My Kanto's should have been delivered yesterday. In fact, the guy was at the door. I was home. Window was open, people talking, some music playing. He must have heard that but he just left a note that I wasn't home. I doubt if he even rang the bell. I was home! &*^%^%$!

Oh well, I can pick them up at a DHL depot this afternoon when I come home from work.

So I picked them up today. I won't turn around the bush, they are not as good as I expected them to be. They lack in midrange and quickly get annoying (a bit messy) when played louder. I suppose I expected them to be more musical. To me they seem great for gaming and such.

That's not to say they are bad, they are not. There's great detail, bass is good for their size too. I just think for the money that I paid (412 dollars, including shipping/tax/import fees) there should be something better out there.

I really like the connection options and bluetooth works great with the phones, tablet and laptop too.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2014, 02:24:29 pm »

They don't have a huge sweet spot and distance from the wall seems kind of important.  Sorry they didn't work out.  At $400 I don't know if I would be happy.  At the $194 I paid I certainly am.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2014, 04:18:59 pm »

They are decent enough, I just expected a little more that's all.

I'll see if I can play with placement some although my options are limited. I don't have a lot of space on my desk.

pcstockton

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2014, 05:18:19 pm »

Sorry you are not totally stoked.

I can say, I have tried many powered and portable systems.  I use a Big Jambox for portable.  For powered speakers there are better out there than Kanto.  Fostex comes to mind.  But I haven't heard anything under $400 that compares.

The limitations you mention are par for the course on small, inexpensive, powered speakers.

You could spend $400 on some average loudspeakers, but then you need a amplification, cables, more space, a tethered source, etc.

I hope the bed in well for you.

Good luck.
Patrick

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2014, 12:50:25 am »

It's much better now. I changed 2 things.

I still had to bypass pulseaudio for the Xonar ST so as to give MC direct and exclusive access to the sound card. I had already done that some time ago but that was for another device. Pulse was causing it to sound a bit muffled.
Second I raised them from the desk with a small stand. This improves things massively. Placing them flat on a desk is apparently NOT a good idea - much more than I imagined it would.

Still a bit annoying when played at louder volumes, but not nearly as bad as before.

It's actually quite good like this  :D.

Skeilio

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2014, 05:17:23 pm »

I Find the Sony SRS-X7 work fine with DLNA on Version 19.0.149
the latest MC version as of today 07-16-2014 Media Center 19.0.152
has some major issues with DLNA and broke just about everything DLNA wise

The only issues with my SRS-X7 is a power saving / sleep issue in which I addressed in another thread
as well as falling to the floor twice as it walked itself off of the table.

Is it a awesome speaker no.  Is it a nice speaker that sounds decent for its size that can stream DLNA  yes

Skeilio

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2014, 05:27:59 pm »

Another set of speakers that work with MC is the gear from Grace Digital
https://gracedigital.com/internet-radio/
they do have some quirks though
If you use both remote control through webGizmo and the Grace Digital interface the units seem to get confused after a while
but if you just use DLNA remotely or the local interface and or remote locally all seems to be fine

Another set of equipment for the Prosumer are the following from CambridgeAudio
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/stream-magic-6-v2-upsampling-network-music-player-pre-amplifier

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2014, 02:41:33 am »

So Jim, have you been able to find something to your liking?

Pages: [1]   Go Up