INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound problem using DLNA  (Read 2394 times)

rossop

• Junior Woodchuck
Sound problem using DLNA
« on: August 30, 2014, 09:46:56 pm »

Using the 20.0.10, I am getting excessive sibilant reproduction but when I go back to 19.0.146, it's all good. This relates to play back of a playlist where volume levelling is applied. Both 19 & 20

Through Media Network, using JR 20's DLNA, where I apply volume levelling to playlists. Media Network>add or configure DLNA server>audio mode>specified output format> PCM 24bit...audio advanced> volume levelling checked.

I don't know why but its all good thru 19.0.146 but thru 20 it sounds like an out of tune analogue radio. All settings are the same on 19 & 20. The DAC I am using is the PS Audio DS DAC. Its done about 300hrs. I originally thought there may be a problem there, or maybe it required more burn in. Going back to 19 has fixed the problem. So what gives?

Any other advise would be most appreciated. I'm not sure what  "expectation bias" means  but I know what I am hearing.

Other audiophiles on the PSA forums report that some versions of JR sound better that others. I've been using MC since version 15, so I do have a fair amount of experience with it. I don't, and will probably never, understand all of it but love it just the same.

rossop

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Spitty Sibilant reproduction
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 02:55:23 am »

To make it clear both 19.0.146 & 20.0.10 are on my PC in one room. I use JR Media Network via Ethernet Power Line Connectors to send the signal to the DAC in my main system. I have used this setup since Build 15. I have checked over & over and the Media Network settings on both builds are the same.  I like to play playlists so I use Volume Levelling in Media Network. The DAC is a PSA Direct Stream. It's done 300+ hrs. I have used earlier PSA DACs the same way....

As stated I went back to 19 and the lispy sound went away. It was very upsetting & I only did it as a last resort. Apart from that going back to 19 the sound seemed a lot better. Hard to explain but a bit more "there"  I will keep you all informed of any changes or if anyone has any comments, feel free...
For now I will stay with 19

thanks

Ross

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Spitty Sibilant reproduction
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 02:58:31 am »

There are no audio processing changes between the late versions of MC19 and MC20.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: Sound problem using DLNA
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 07:13:11 am »

Is this a subtle thing that others might not notice?  Or is it sound distortion that anyone would notice immediately?

rossop

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 08:35:46 pm »

Is this a subtle thing that others might not notice?  Or is it sound distortion that anyone would notice immediately?

Further listening this morning indicates only a slight improvement between builds, Still there, but a lot less obvious. Today I would say it is a subtle thing  that others may not notice. It's not a problem for my to change from 19 to 20 and back  also I can download previous version:D

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 05:58:38 am »

I'm not sure what  "expectation bias" means  but I know what I am hearing.
Something changed, therefore you are expecting something to be different - even on a subconscious level.

rossop

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 09:29:09 pm »

well I have tried both 19 & 20 and I have stuck with 19 for the time being. maybe I'm a audiophile "nutcake" but I think 19 sounds a little better. I will change again when an update to 20 appears.

After another day of careful listening I will be sticking 19.0.146 for the time being. It sounds a lot better to me but, as stated previously, I am an audiophile and any change, no matter how small, is very apparent on a hi-rez system. ;D

GROBEC

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 10:03:38 am »

+1
Same issue in my sys.
Also more crashes preceded by a "tone" sound (affected by mc vol control).
Happens while playing music and more often if using anything else on puter while playing. Can It be that new ver is using more puter resources?
Late 2009 intel Mac Mini, Maverick, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, Jeff Rowland MC6, Wilson Watt Puppy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up