INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using multiple usb DACS with JRiver (feature request?)  (Read 3112 times)

aklegal

• Recent member
Using multiple usb DACS with JRiver (feature request?)
« on: September 03, 2014, 10:48:37 am »

I run a headless (no monitor) music server using J River 19.  Currently  and obviously, J River allows the user to select a single device for output.  If you have  another dac you want to use you have to manually enter the settings and switch dacs.  I have been reading up on the Auralic Aries streaming device and noticed that it has two usb outputs and could be used with more than one dac at once.  

My dilemma, albeit a small dilemma, is that I own a usb PCM only dac that I absolutely adore and wont part with anytime soon but I also want to try, and maybe permanently incorporate, a DSD dac into my system which would also use usb.  In this scenario only one of the dacs will be actually turned on and in use at one time as I would switch dacs to listen to DSD files and vice versa with PCM.  My wish is to avoid manual switching within J River in order to do so.  

Would adding a second audio output be possible or would this involve essentially doubling the size of the audio output options section (DSP etc) which would involve a lot more coding?  Windows allows something like this already and has for a while.  A person can have a soundcard handle windows system sounds and then have a external dac used by only one program exclusively and both can obviously output simultaneously.    

I just thought I 'd ask about the feasibility for using multiple USB dacs as I have interacted with people on various other audio message boards and the question of whether or not this is possible has come up in the wake of several new low priced DSD only dacs being in production.  

I figure that if worst comes to worst I could just find another media program to use for just DSD but I rather like using J River  ;D Thanks  

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Using multiple usb DACS with JRiver (feature request?)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 10:50:54 am »

You can use as many DAC's as you like in JRiver. Set up a new Zone for each DAC. You can use ZoneSwitch if you want certain content to automatically go to a certain DAC.

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 10:51:29 am »

The Zones feature already handles this.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones

In short: right-click "Playing Now" and add a new zone. You can have a zone configured for each device. (or multiple zones for each device)
Zone Switch can also direct content to a specific zone with rule-based switching. E.g. send DSD to Zone 1, send PCM to Zone 2.

aklegal

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 10:54:55 am »

Damn that is sweet.  I had no idea obviously.  Thanks alot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up