INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Id is an Internet Appliance  (Read 1266 times)

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
The Id is an Internet Appliance
« on: September 09, 2014, 11:08:20 am »

And I definitely don't see how the Id is a step in the right direction.  Linux has 1-2% of the PC market.  Why would the average consumer want to purchase a Linux based PC to put in their living room? 
I think you miss the point.  Id is an Internet appliance that happens to run on Linux.  The end user does not need to know the underlying engine runs on Linux...

edit: oops !   Wrote this before seeing Jim's comment...

connersw

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 11:59:25 am »

Id is an Internet appliance that happens to run on Linux.  The end user does not need to know the underlying engine runs on Linux...

Understood.  ~30% of embedded OS are Linux based and ~35% of servers.  However, they also typically make changes to the hardware as well, and there is no interaction at the OS level.  The Id is a NUC (a PC) and from what I've read in the Id threads, many users have been forced to make changes at the OS level.  Maybe it is just too early in the development; I won't digress any further on Id discussion.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 01:10:26 pm »

Only one or two users did anything at all at the OS level in the NUC.  And they voided their warranty in the process.  ;)

The user interface for the Id is a web browser for setup, and Gizmo or JRemote for playback.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up