INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help for an old guy trying to keep up with technology  (Read 5440 times)

sashua

• Recent member
Help for an old guy trying to keep up with technology
« on: September 09, 2014, 11:11:01 pm »

Hi all,
I am trying to learn to use JRiver MC19, installed currently on my laptop - and I am starting to become frustrated.
Would someone take pity on me and walk me through something please?

I went to "tools", "media import", "import single folder" and then I selected a few folders one at a time off my music server in my living room.

Well, MC imported them all right. Thumbnails and everything.

The problem is that I can't seem to play anything. All the files come up as "Playback Problem" "Something went wrong with playback. Details - The file could not be found. Check that the filename in the library matches the filename on the disk".

Well. O.K. then..... I suppose these files must not have actually been physically copied to my laptop's hard drive.

How can I actually get the files I want onto my hard drive and into JRiver MC19? I take this computer away on travel regularly and the files won't help me if they are on my local network.

Thanks,
Russ

sashua

• Recent member
Re: Help for an old guy trying to keep up with technology
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 09:49:34 pm »

Wow.
75 people read this post and not a single person could be bothered long enough to offer a single word of advice.

just....the new America I suppose  :-[

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:12:55 pm »

Usually no answer means nobody knows or understands the question.   Your subject doesn't help.  Try one that describes the problem.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:45:56 pm »

Well. O.K. then..... I suppose these files must not have actually been physically copied to my laptop's hard drive.
That is correct. You have solved your own problem.
Importing server files into MC does not copy them to the local hard drive, it simply points to them.

How can I actually get the files I want onto my hard drive
You could use MC to copy them over but the simplest way is probably just using windows explorer to copy them like you would any other file.
To import them into MC, setup auto import and point it to wherever you copied your files on your local drive.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 10:57:03 pm »

Correct, the import procedure just builds a library, think database, of the files you "pointed at". It took the files and created pointers to those files based on their location. You do not need the files to be stored locally on your laptop, they just need to be accessible. So if you imported from your server, JRiver needs to be able to see the server when you try to play a file. When you go to play a file it will look at the path of the file and play it. All my files live on nas devices that JRiver can see. The drive letter also has to match, so if the server can change drive letters it will cause problems. If you can access your server by UNC paths that is usually better.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 11:14:26 pm »

By the way... 99% of us are just users who take our time to try to help, we're not on the payroll. A lot of times I think people read posts just to see answers and try to learn things themselves, I do. A lot of the time I do not feel I am qualified enough to assist people directly, but if I think I can I will. Never saw your post until tonight.

Have you seen the WIKI? http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions

Ken

sashua

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 01:06:55 am »

I went to the WIKI but the advice it offers doesn't seem to work in practice.

I just took about 30 files and transferred them to the desktop via a thumb drive. Then I dragged and dropped them into "audio" and they came right up. Now. for some reason, I can't play any of them. Double clicked on the individual song. Hit the file and clicked "play"....nada.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

I appreciate that this is not a job for anyone here. I asked for help and even said please  ;D. There doesn't seem to be any support line I can call for JRiver so here I am.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 07:10:47 am »

What file type?  Where did you get them?

Files purchased from a music service may have been "protected" by DRM.  Apple did this until a few years ago.

sashua

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 08:29:10 am »

Just FLAC's ripped from CD's. No DRM.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 09:52:44 am »

Hit the file and clicked "play"....nada.

It shouldn't do 'nada.' MC should at least report an error about the problem it is encountering. The files may have moved, your audio output settings may not be configured properly, etc.

It's hard to diagnose without all of the details. This problem does not sound like something that the vast majority of people experience.

1. Do the files play in another media player on your desktop computer, like Windows Media Player?

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 10:49:16 am »

Double clicked on the individual song. Hit the file and clicked "play".
Make sure you are not still trying to play your server files. It's possible your library is now a mix of server files and local files.
If you remove your server folders from auto import it should take care of this.
Just an idea. Like BryanC said, there should be an error message.

Then I dragged and dropped them into "audio"
Open playing now in MC and try dragging the local files into the list. See if they play that way.

sashua

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 09:21:29 pm »

I did a complete uninstall of MC19 and re-downloaded MC20. I started from scratch and took files from a folder on my desktop and drag/dropped them into the Audio section. They populated immediately but still will not play. These files play perfectly in Foobar and VLC.

It must be something in my settings either on my laptop or  in the MC20. So frustrating.....

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 09:23:56 pm »

Do you get an error message? Does it show the title playing (seek bar moving, spectrum analyzer moving or  Display showing title of song)?

What do you have under "Options - Audio - Audio Device"?

sashua

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 12:24:02 am »

Well...problem solved. It turns out that I recently installed a speaker simulation program called "Out of Your Head" for headphones. Apparently its drivers must have conflicted with JRiver because I removed the program and rebooted and...walla! I can play files now.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone and have a nice weekend  :D

JimH

• Administrator

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 07:04:07 am »

Thanks for posting the solution.

I'm locking this now since the subject is too general to be useful.  If you have more questions, please post a new topic with a subject that describes the question.
Pages: [1]   Go Up