INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Curators  (Read 1901 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Media Curators
« on: September 29, 2014, 06:34:22 pm »

I'm proposing to add a few people to our team as curators.   They would find media sources online, recommend how to add them in MC, and monitor their function.  We lost our support for Hulu recently, and we didn't notice it early enough.  We need an advocate for Netflix, to help find a sympathetic ear there.  And so on.

Some of these might develop into paid positions, but initially they would be voluntary.

Please tell us what find interesting, and what you might do.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Media Curators
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 11:22:43 pm »

While I am unemployed, I could maybe help a little in this regard. I have a lot of experience in writing assertive but also diplomatic communications, so I could give wooing Netflix a go if you approve.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 07:11:58 am »

You're in charge!  Thanks.  If you'll do an outline draft and send it to me, I'll reply.  jimh at etc.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 02:44:48 pm »

You're in charge!  Thanks.  If you'll do an outline draft and send it to me, I'll reply.  jimh at etc.

*gulp*
We'll need to establish some parameters, and I'll need to educate myself a little on Netflix history first. For instance, I don't even know whether it still works with MC or not. I'll send you an email, most likely tomorrow.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 02:45:58 pm »

It works now, but they say they are ending support for developers soon.  You could read the news articles.

They support boxes like Roku, so it's odd. 

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 03:35:53 pm »

It works now, but they say they are ending support for developers soon.  You could read the news articles.

They support boxes like Roku, so it's odd. 

Does Roku use the API's or does it have a dedicated App?  Netflix is moving to an 'App only' solution and they decide who they write apps for.  They want to own the user and control the content.

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 11:38:50 pm »

- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 04:57:20 am »

I would be happy to be considered if Fitbrit needs a hand.  Funny you use the word curator, because I was trying to create a job curating music and exploring new uses for metadata - real curation in the old sense.

I have already been in touch with Qobuz here in Paris awhile ago (they are having some financial issues that I think they will get out of.  Otherwise someone big will step in with an aggressive LBO - two more months will tell). Spotify HQ is in Stockholm. Deezer HQ is in Paris (not so sure where they are going but they screwed Quboz recently with a deal with Orange ex France Telecom). I'm in Paris as I think you know, so meeting with people based in Europe is just a train ride away.

On a side-note, not directly applicable (but could be), I'm contacting Allmusic (Luxembourg) and Rovi (Santa Clara) on a project I'm trying to get off the ground.

Could also look into Grooveshark (HTML5 site -- not sure but I believe the only one using this which is interesting, recently won a lawsuit which makes them viable again)  and Jango (not sure where they are going but getting popular here in Europe due to free streaming without ads like Spotify Free.) Always on the look out for new music and services ... one of the good, but older ones would be NPR -- that would probably be very possible to incorporate. Very good, and eclectic, content as I'm sure you are aware.

Short CV: Currently I'm an entrepreneur (which means  broke and destitute so available, btw) and cheap wordpress website builder (which means I really have no real training in IT but can fake it most of the time) ; ex-business director;  passable jazz piano player and play listenable-only-after-4 doubles-guitar; fluent in franglais, and have a degree in Medieval History (which will be very, very useful).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 07:03:39 am »

Thanks!  I hadn't thought of a Medieval History curator, but maybe it would be something fresh....

Aim at Spotify and see what they say.

I think of a curator as being responsible for part of the collection.  Even if it isn't local.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 01:06:53 pm »

I did some reading to remind myself about Netflix' new stance regarding their API. I doubt there's much we can do to change their minds but we can give it a go.

Arindelle

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 02:39:15 pm »

Great!  will e-mail you and Matt this weekend for some clarification, if that's ok. A little busy tomorrow.

, but maybe it would be something fresh....

yep, Medieval History, invaluable ...   I can talk the black death with the best of 'em .... and talking fresh?! How about an online Gregorian Chant streaming/sampling service ?!  I can already hear the electro samples they'd do in Berlin already ...  Ambient Chant,  Gregorian Breakbeat or how about Cistercian post-hardcore

Pages: [1]   Go Up