INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: problems with the function - View tags from the current view  (Read 8246 times)

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
problems with the function - View tags from the current view
« on: October 03, 2014, 09:33:32 am »

MC 20.0.20 also 20.0.17

Is the view "show as a pane" it works

Is the view of "show as categories" it does not work

Reinhard

DrKNo

• World Citizen
Re: problems with the function - View tags from the current view
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 02:41:37 am »

Hello Reinhard,

I'm not sure I understand the question. Judging from your name, you are german (as am I), I can try assist in German and translate back later.

Wenn du möchtest, beschreibe dein Problem also in Deutsch und ich werde versuchen zu helfen =)

Viele Grüße,
Keno

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 08:39:37 am »

In MC 19
The view is configured as "show as - columns".
The database fields, which were added to the main view, were showen MC 19 also in this order in the "Information Window".
If i configured the view as "show as - Categories", MC 19 changed the databasefields in the main view, but not in the information window. The information window still showed my configured databasefields from "show as - columns".
If I wanted to tag another field in the Info window, I switched back to "columns", added the field in the right position, changed again to "Categories". The newly added field was still in the right possition in the information window.

In MC 20
I can also configure personal databasefields in "show as - columns", but if i change the main view to "show as - categories" MC 20 will also change the databasefields in the information window to random databasefields. If i go back to "show as - columns" the databasefields in the information window as well as the main view still show random databasefields. To get my configured databasefields back i need to create one new databasefield, close the information window and open it again.

I think the function is defective in MC 20.

In MC 19, the function runs correctly.

reinhard

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 04:52:43 am »

In all my views I use this option. I am glad if the problem is solved and I can switch to 20 mc.

reinhard

DrKNo

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:20:09 am »

I'm sorry, but I am unable to replicate this right now... could you maybe post a screenshot comparing the two views?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 04:29:15 am »

Yes, I believe this is something that is being addressed ... however this existed in version 19 too, for me at least. I think this has something to do with all the visible fields not showing up at once in a Category View, because you are drilling down - so not sure this is a bug or a limitation

Custom fields also are not showing up in panes view in version 20 for me. This is a bug imo, but I always forget to bring it up (eg in a Classical Music View I have created a field called Work which will not show up automatically. It is pretty easy to add it so you can see it, just click also show. So not sure this is "mission critical" priority for development to fix.

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 05:17:14 am »

I'm sorry, but I am unable to replicate this right now... could you maybe post a screenshot comparing the two views?
picture 1 pane view
picture 2 categorie view

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 11:46:12 am »

think I figured it out. Need to click the "reset all checks" and then it seems to work perfectly... never noticed this before

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 12:48:41 pm »

think I figured it out. Need to click the "reset all checks" and then it seems to work perfectly... never noticed this before

unfortunately it does not work for me. The same result.

reinhard

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 01:17:07 pm »

I think you need to turn one column on or off so that the setting is saved in the new way.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 01:48:17 pm »

I think you need to turn one column on or off so that the setting is saved in the new way.
Yes, in the pane view i can restore the fields in the "tag window", but when i switch to "categories view" - the fields in the "tag window" are gone again.

reinhard

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 08:21:02 pm »

Its a pain to fix these, but you can do it.  You have to show the file listing to do it.  So, open up a categories view and drill down until you can see the actual files.  From here, you can do the same thing and add a column (and then remove it again if you don't need it) which will "fix" the Tag Action Window's behavior.

If the files are shown as Thumbnails List Style, you need to switch it temporarily to Details view style:

Then, once you add (and maybe remove again) your extra column to force it to save, you can switch the view back to however you'd like it to look.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 08:22:12 pm »

I told you this was going to be a thing.

I still have a ton in my Library I haven't fixed.  :P :-*

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 10:26:18 pm »

I think I have a similar (if not the very same) issue:
no matter what I try I am unable to make MC20 show Tag fields in Action Window (Show Tags in Current View) the way MC19 shows them (see the screenshots). I tried to Reset All Checks, add / remove new column and all the other things I could think of, but no satisfactory result  ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 10:30:02 am »

Again, the only way to fix it is to add a column to the View (on the lower-right-hand side of MC in your screenshot).  This will fix the Show Columns setting in the Tag Action Window, and then you can remove the column you added again if it isn't needed.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 12:07:13 pm »

As I mentioned I already did try this add/remove column "workaround" however it does not make any difference.
Several of my views are affected which makes MC20 unusable fro me  :(

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 11:56:29 am »

Sorry for the misinformation before.  That was the way it worked before, and it still does in some cases, but something is broken now...

I can confirm this.  I'm using 20.0.54 (the current build).  If you don't mess with it, and the Tag Action Window setting is set to Show Columns from Current View already, then it works correctly.

But, something is broken in there.  I just tried to add a column to my "Kids" view, and now it is stuck showing the wrong fields in the Tag Action Window.  This screenshot shows it with it set to Show Tags in Current View:

Click to embiggen.

I've tried:
* Toggling columns on and off (which is what I did before to "fix" them).
* Toggling the Show Tags setting to all of the various different states.
* Copying the View to a duplicate and modifying that.
* Quit and restarted MC entirely.
* Applying a column preset.
* Adding and removing Columns via bunch of means.

None had any effect.  Now that this one is borked, it has stayed borked.  However, this does not impact my other Views.  My regular Series view, which I wasn't messing with, is fine.  I made a copy of the (working) Series View and tried adding the same Column to it, and it seems to be working correctly still.  I've tried to recreate the behavior via a bunch of means with this view, and I can't get it to "break".  But, my Kids View remains broken.  One difference between the two, which I'll investigate next, is that the Kids view is a Category style view, and the Series one I tested with is a Panes style view.

Unfortunately, I'm not 100% clear on the exact steps I took that "caused" this problem (because I wasn't trying to recreate this, just trying to add a column).  My memory (it was just a few minutes ago) was this:

1. Tag AW was closed.
2. Added the Column.
3. Opened Tag AW, and looked for my new field.  I might have missed it in the listing, however.
4. Played with the Show Tags setting on the Tag AW (I think this is when it got broken, but I'm not sure).
5. Upon switching back to Show Tags from Current View, it no longer did so, but showed these "Default Tags".

I can't get it to change no matter what I do for that View.  Here's a Library Backup:
http://glynor.com/files/jriver/Tag_AW-View_Problem_Library_Backup.zip

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 12:09:41 pm »

Okay.  I've gotten more steps to reproduce, and have it figured out now.  It is related to Categories style Views.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Using a Categories style View, show the File Listing.
2. Add a Column.
3. Select a file in the file listing (to make it Refresh).
4. The Tag AW will now be stuck showing a set of default Tags that cannot be altered.

Notes:
* This applies to Categories style Views whether Always Show Files is enabled or disabled.

And, I have steps to fix them, though it is clumsy.  The issue does not occur with Panes style views.  You can switch your View to a Panes style view, fix the columns, and then switch it back.  How this works, I think, is enlightening to the source of the issue.

0. Save your current Columns as a preset, if you don't already have it saved.
1. Switch the View from Categories to Panes style in the Edit View dialog.
2. You'll notice that the Columns that will be showing will NOT match the columns you had showing before, but instead you will actually have the columns for the Tags shown in the Tag AW.
3. Fix this (re-apply your Profile, and add or remove a Column to get it to refresh the Tag AW).
4. Switch the View back to Categories style.
5. The Tag AW will continue to show the proper tags, and columns, as long as you don't further modify the columns.  If you do, it breaks again and you have to jump through all of these steps again.

This is annoying, but this should help point out the flaw.  This is new, as I customized all of my Categories style views not too long ago (well after the previous problem with this feature) and they were working then without jumping through these hoops.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 05:39:42 pm »

I figured out more about this, by the way... The fields that show in the Tag AW when this happens are the columns from the Categories themselves.

If you switch the Category view from Thumbs (the normal view style) to Details, then you'll see those columns.  You can change the ones that appear in the Tag AW by modifying these column sets.  Then, that will stick without having to switch it to a Panes style View.  But, as soon as you tweak any of the columns in the File Listing area, in any way, this resets back to the defaults.

And, of course, this makes no sense.  The Tag AW acts on files not categories, so it makes no sense to use the columns from the Categories themselves.  This is new as well, and was NOT this way before (I'm not sure exactly when it started, but definitely since the change that caused the Tag AW "problems" before).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 08:16:23 am »

Nice detective work.

Next build:
Fixed: Action Window Tag view to show the columns in the current view didn't work properly with category views (you might need to add / remove a column for it to start working).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 04:32:09 am »

It is not working again (for Audio)
Last version working for me is 20.0.80

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 11:31:32 am »

bump

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 12:50:18 pm »

Still working here, so I think you'll need to explain more.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2015, 01:14:56 pm »

Please see my original screenshots attached here
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92324.msg652027#msg652027
MC 20.0.093 behaves the same as MC 20 did before the fix.
In other words 20.0.0.80 works as it should (MC19 screenshot), newer versions don't (MC20 screenshot)
Only Audio view seems to be affected.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2015, 01:19:33 pm »

You have to (one time) add a new column to the view, manually, to "trigger" it to correct itself.

After this, the view should be fixed (and you can remove the column you added).  I usually just add Access Rating or something else at the top of the list if I find any broken ones, and then remove it immediately afterwards.

You can't trigger it to fix itself by applying a Column Preset.  You have to actually add a column in the Details part of your view.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2015, 05:43:16 pm »

First of all this (adding column) makes no difference.
Second I wonder why should it be necessary (again) as the problem was fully fixed in 20.0.56. Since then I checked all my views, performed adding/removing column where needed and everything was fine up to 20.0.80 including, as all later versions have the problem back again.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 08:47:15 pm »

All I can say is it works for the few of mine that still are that way from when they broke, on the current build. And, when they broke, I think that was always Matt's story on how they could be fixed.

Are you sure when you added the column that you let it fully add?  You can't just check and then immediately uncheck the box next to a column name.  You have to add it, and let the view "refresh" (so the column is visible), then the Tag AW should refresh and show correctly, and then you can remove it again.

Dunno.  I have a few buried in there I've been too lazy to fix, and it still works for me.  I just found one and tested it tonight.

If that isn't working, then something else seems to be going on with your setup, so we'll probably need more information.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2015, 09:43:26 pm »

Visual explanation of what works for me (I just found another, and I think my last one left):
https://vimeo.com/124725982

I've found other adjustments can "snap them back working" again too.  Changing View > Size with the Tag Action Window open seemed to fix a few of mine too.

Either way, once I've fixed them, I haven't seen individual views "re-break" again.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 05:38:04 pm »

20.0.99 and still no change.
Reverting back to 20.0.80 is the only way to fix the error which means there apparently have been made some changes in 20.0.80+ versions.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 06:10:16 pm »

Did you watch my video?  If that doesn't work, we will need more information on what is different about what you are doing than the behavior I demonstrated there.  Otherwise it won't get fixed.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2015, 06:23:37 pm »

I did watch it - it does not work like this on my system meaning once I add the column, no matter what I try it does no appear in the Action Window nor does it make any difference in AW at all. It simply only gets that column added in the File View and that's it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2015, 06:44:23 pm »

Man that's weird. Can you post a screenshot of the view with the Tag AW open after adding the column?

I want to try to see what might be different.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2015, 07:20:20 pm »

See this video I just made
http://www.e-work.cz/AW.mkv

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2015, 07:54:22 pm »

Cool. Thanks for the video. A few things to try, just to narrow it down. Please do these things separately. If you combine steps, it tells us nothing.

1. You're browsing using the top-level Audio Media View in the Tree there. Those are set by default with Allow Tree Selection disabled, so "normally" you can't actually browse directly within any of the top-level Media Views, you always have to use a child-view. So, I wonder if this issue only applies to top-level views.

Easy enough to test.  Drag the Audio item in your tree away a little bit, and drop it on top of itself. The pop-up will ask if you want to move or copy the view.  Choose Copy.  This will make a new child View underneath of Audio that is a duplicate of itself.  Try the same thing there.

2. Try with your skin set to Noire instead. It could be a skin-specific issue, and it would be good to know that.

3. If neither of the above has any impact, try changing the view from a Categories style view into a Panes style view, and test again. It could be something specific to Category style views.  In the past, I saw oddball behavior with Category style views, but all of mine are corrected now (and sticking) so I can't easily test this to confirm.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2015, 07:56:47 pm »

By the way, I noticed you have some child-views under Audio that are named prefixed with underscores. If you were doing this to get these to sort to the top of the Tree, you don't have to do it this way.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84926.0

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2015, 04:49:27 am »

Easy enough to test.  Drag the Audio item in your tree away a little bit, and drop it on top of itself. The pop-up will ask if you want to move or copy the view.  Choose Copy.  This will make a new child View underneath of Audio that is a duplicate of itself.  Try the same thing there.
No change

2. Try with your skin set to Noire instead. It could be a skin-specific issue, and it would be good to know that.
No change

3. If neither of the above has any impact, try changing the view from a Categories style view into a Panes style view, and test again. It could be something specific to Category style views.  In the past, I saw oddball behavior with Category style views, but all of mine are corrected now (and sticking) so I can't easily test this to confirm.
Getting closer. If I switch to Panes, AW seems to follow the columns in the File View however once I switch back to Categories, it's all lost again.

Would it make any sense to send you a copy of my Library for testing on your side?

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 04:54:04 am »

By the way, I noticed you have some child-views under Audio that are named prefixed with underscores. If you were doing this to get these to sort to the top of the Tree, you don't have to do it this way.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84926.0

Thanks for the tip - didn't know about that behaviour. Indeed I did use underscores in order to move those to the top. It can be done the way you describe in the link however I realized that I prefer the underscored items anyway because of the quick overview reference (to easily distinguish them from the non-underscored items)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2015, 05:26:20 am »

The category view with the split details list is problematic because there is two views it can pull the fields from (top category view, and bottom details view), and its probably choosing the top view (even though its not obvious that it has field info, since its in thumbnail mode).
Wonder if we can make it always use the bottom view in that mode...
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2015, 06:37:11 am »

Next build:
Fixed: The Tag Action Window properly shows the tags from a category details view in "Show Tags In Current View" mode.

It did indeed prefer the fields from the top category view, which didn't make all that much sense.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2015, 06:50:42 am »

Thanks Hendrik. Matt already fixed that once (see above) so I thought it unlikely that it'd broken again.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2015, 06:54:54 am »

His fix deleted the view config of other views, which caused such stacked category views to lose the config of either the top or the bottom part, so it was reverted some time ago to fix that bug. Losing your view config is worse than the Tag Window showing some other fields. =p
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up