INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Regarding volume analyze and shared library...  (Read 1463 times)

The RomDoodle!

• Recent member
Regarding volume analyze and shared library...
« on: October 04, 2014, 11:22:28 pm »

Generic question, I have my library on a shared NAS, if my server analyze the volume of the library, will the settings and parameters propagate to my other computers running the same version of MC20?

I have a very, very, very (you get the picture) large library, which takes over a week for the server to complete this process.  For me to also do this process with my attached workstations, would be very taxing and resource intensive.

Any thoughts?  I was thinking about importing the server's library to all my workstations, but I don't know if that would also bring over the volume params.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Regarding volume analyze and shared library...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 12:54:02 am »

Hello

I know for sure that it does for mp3 file type as I manage a huge library on a main pc and run back ups to 2 other pc with internal hard drives. First i rip to main pc tweak the folders and files for consistancy, analyze those files and then run my back up. I left out a few steps as I have 2 other portable back ups that are flac files of my collection.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 10:22:57 am »

Generic question, I have my library on a shared NAS, if my server analyze the volume of the library, will the settings and parameters propagate to my other computers running the same version of MC20?

Works fine. That's what I did. Since you mention "server" I will assume your other computers are "clients" and you have a main instance of MC that is running Media Server?

I have a very, very, very (you get the picture) large library, which takes over a week for the server to complete this process.  For me to also do this process with my attached workstations, would be very taxing and resource intensive.

Define "very large". I also do not understand why you would need to get other computers involved - which may or may not be possible if the other computers are actually "clients". If you have a single master media storage area - just have your main MC server run the analysis and when it's done - all client computers will enjoy the new analyzed files.

Any thoughts?  I was thinking about importing the server's library to all my workstations, but I don't know if that would also bring over the volume params.

Why bother - see above.

VP

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 10:56:26 am »

The analyzer will write data to file tags by default, so it should work everywhere.
Things like Volume Leveling are applied on playback rather than modifying the audio, so Volume Leveling must be enabled on the client too.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 11:46:28 am »

The analyzer will write data to file tags by default, so it should work everywhere.
Things like Volume Leveling are applied on playback rather than modifying the audio, so Volume Leveling must be enabled on the client too.
Yes. No need to do anything on the clients or if you are coping files for portable use either.

If you are adding large amounts of media you might want to consider ripping to a PC doing your analysis there then transferring them to the NAS.

Just to make sure, there is no semantic confusion -- the shared library is on a PC which is running as media server, the media is on a NAS. The clients are loading the library from the PC running as media server. This will work no problem (provided that the server PC is running of course. If one of your clients is actually a connected as a DLNA device and not a PC setup as a client,  you can still have volume leveling, but not adaptive volume leveling.

Even a medium-sized collection of audio (about 3TBs of flac files; euh, guess this would be small compared to some of the crazies here :D); took me a couple of days on an i5 four core with lots of ram -- its worth it though. Analyzing video THAT on the other hand is painful
Pages: [1]   Go Up