INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capabilities as DLNA controller  (Read 3218 times)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Capabilities as DLNA controller
« on: October 06, 2014, 10:46:39 am »

I started using MC as an DLNA Controller (with WD TV as the renderer) today and surprised, that there are so few things I can control using MC. No track change options and (more important) no DSP Settings. I was hoping to be able to use room control but I'm not. Is it because of restrictions of the DLNA Standard or is MC lacking some features :)

Is there a workaround possible to control more things using MC, perhaps something I haven't discovered?!

Arindelle

Re: Capabilities as DLNA controller
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 12:06:55 pm »

This is not what you want to hear, but short answer is no MC is not lacking features. Its not so much restrictions but DLNA is not a real standard like a redbook cd, product x's DLNA compliant, doesn't mean its the same as company Y. With no fixed standard that everyone has to abide by, how to make a program work with every possible machine?

I know next to nothing about WD TV, but the ideal work around is not to use it as a renderer and just use JRiver as a renderer (or a client of a JRiver server, if the PC running JRMserver is not nearby). 

Maybe you are using this box for its streaming capabilities? A compromise would be to create a zone for all your stored media content. Let JRiver be the renderer for this. When you want to use all the internet capable video thats preprogrammed into the WD TV, shift into that zone. That way on all your personal media you could enjoy the full power of MC.  For ive TV you can add a tuner to your PC if you want too. Plenty of remote options are available to use JRiver as a controller, and you could switch these zones from a cell phone if you wanted.

As for track change options that seems more for audio than video, no? Are you using the WD TV for audio too?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 03:57:55 pm »

I started using MC as an DLNA Controller (with WD TV as the renderer) today and surprised, that there are so few things I can control using MC. No track change options and (more important) no DSP Settings. I was hoping to be able to use room control but I'm not. Is it because of restrictions of the DLNA Standard or is MC lacking some features :)

In answer to your various questions:

1) I suppose that by "track change options" you mean fade over? This is indeed a UPnP limitation. UPnP can do gapped play, and some renderers can do gapless. But overlapped fade over is not possible.
2) Concerning DSP settings, MC does not apply DSP at the moment. But just as MC can today transcode on the fly, it would be entirely possible for a future MC to apply DSP on the fly. This is not a UPnP limitation.
3) I guess by "room control" you mean DSP? In which case the answer is above.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 06:25:54 am »

Thanks for your input, Arindelle and AndrewFG!!

Are you using the WD TV for audio too?
I'm not able to connect my PC to my Receiver directly any more. Right now I use the WD TV only for streaming music from my PC, because of the lack of a TV :) I don't use any of its internet streaming capabilities. Maybe, this was not the best decision to go?!

Is there a better wireless solution to stream audio wireless from my PC to the receiver for under 100,-€?

What I'd really like to have would be the possibility to use the DSP settings in MC. So it would be nice if I'd be able to select a whatever kind of wireless device as an output device in MC. Bluetooth is not an Option because of the inability to stream HD Sound (at least as far as know...).

I have four days left to send back my WD TV without any costs...

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 09:41:53 am »

I'm really not the best one to give you advice on wireless .. you could post in the Dac part of the forum. Bunch of guys were looking into wireless speakers and applications there recently.

I was going to say that I would look into a wireless Dac; I've heard that NuForce, Arcam and Audio engine are making affordable consumer market dacs, but I sort of doubt 100$ is going to work .. you would have to check their sites. You could maybe use airport express (not sure about that). You should look though at something that is not going to be treated as a DLNA device or you risk having the same limitations as you do now.

But why don't you give us some details about your "receiver", and what audio outputs are you using from your computer presently. Then we can see.  ANd why it would not be possible to hook up a computer to it. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 09:55:44 am »

Ethernet over Powerline adaptors are a good alternative to wireless.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 10:01:02 am »

Ethernet over Powerline adaptors are a good alternative to wireless.
exactly! - why I asked about the brand and model of his receiver --  but to use DSP studio with limitations that means no DLNA .. can you set up a direct connection via ethernet and still use JRiver as the renderer? It would be a good solution adding an ID, but the OP has a $100 budget.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 10:24:39 am »

Sadly I went for an Onkyo TX SR608. As far as I know the last SR6xx model without LAN interface. That time I thought, I'd never need something like LAN because I had cables :)

It is no problem to get a LAN connection at the receivers place. My DSL Modem/Router is standing right there. But I didn't find any solution which perfectly fits my needs. As said: <100,- €, Surround Sound, and MC should be able to apply its DSP. I only found some wireless stereo solutions. And I wasn't aware of the DLNA limitations.

My current specifications:
PC and Receiver:
  • Optical
  • HDMI

PC:
  • WLAN/LAN
  • Bluetooth
  • 2x analog stereo output

Receiver:
  • Coaxial Digital input
  • Analog input

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 10:44:38 am »

OK but you didn't say why you couldn't connect your PC and the Onyko with a wired connection .. I'll assume your PC is noisy, or there is a WAF/HAF veto (I add the Husband Acceptance factor as I am politically correcy  :D) or there is some other physical reason that is stopping you from doing this... this would of course be FREE and will get you the best possible sound with the equipment you already own.

If you could strech your budget a bit you could add a JRiver Id http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89084.0 which is tiny and quiet or get a used NUC on ebay maybe?

Sorry,  I'm not aware of any reasonable quality audio solution for less than a 100 euros personally. Not saying there isn't one though

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 04:38:55 pm »

Well, to be honest: there is no real WAF :D I'm sure, my girlfriend would tolerate some cable stuff because she wants me to be happy with my AV setup :)

I had to use a 10 meter (33 feet) wire. A HDMI cable would be to strong to put behind baseboard. And an optical Toslink cable (my favorite although it would be nice to have the video option) cannot be put close around the corners. USB cables cannot (or shouldn't) be longer than 5m. Perhaps I could go with an USB extender but again: difficult to put behind the baseboards.

And I'm not sure if I want to have any cable lying visible in two rooms of which one is our living room.

Right now my favorite solution is to go with USB extender so I can put an external soundcard near my receiver. A USB Device Server would be nice, but kind of expensive and needs some kind of software installed at my server. So I have to thing of an easy way to bring a ethernet cable form one room to the other. Should be easier (and cheaper) to handle than a HDMI cable...

Again thanks for your input here. I also had a look at NUCs, but while having a PC (those are PCs, aren't they?) near my receiver is a great thing on the one hand (flexibility rules :)) it would be the most time expensive solution because of the need of administration (and boot up time?).

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 01:24:16 am »

Try these:
http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=hdmi+to+cat6

They use 2x Cat5e or Cat6 to carry full HDMI 1.4.
I've used the wall plate versions, but the sub $20 and sub $45 boxes also work quite well from what I've heard.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 05:45:21 am »

Try these:
http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=hdmi+to+cat6
Costs round 30,- $ to ship to Germany :)

After searching, surfing and reading around for a couple of hours, I think I'll give a chance to a 12,5m HDMI cable. Looks as if there are many good and bad reviews about all kind of extenders (HDMI, USB, DisplayPort). But the cable got so many positive reviews at German amazon, that it looks to be worth a try at least when it is used primarily for audio. It is very cheap, so I never would have thought it could work, but most of the reviewers are very positive.

There is also a flat version which probably will be the cable I'll try first. Should fit behind my baseboard but should also look good if I place it right above the baseboard. I'll see.

Thanks for all your ideas!

Arindelle

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 06:45:10 am »

Hey St Feder .. just out of curiosity can't you just move your receiver? ;D

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 07:21:05 am »

Well, no. Would even be easier to move my Laptop. But both of them have to stay where they are. I don't want to relay all the speaker wires (5 Speakers). And then there would be still the thing with the TV. We don't have one, but when we will have once it will stand right were the receiver has its place.

So, no easy solution ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up