INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modified Setup (a proposal for comment)  (Read 4396 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Modified Setup (a proposal for comment)
« on: October 24, 2014, 06:01:31 am »

Here are some back of the napkin drawings that represent what a user might see when first running MC20.

http://pix01.com/S81%40tRgC

1.  Explain what to expect, and allow a user to try out skins.  Allow cancelling the wizard and explain that changes can be made in the options at any time.

2.  Allow a user to turn off features.

3.  Offer to import automatically or not.  Explain what import is and that no files will be harmed.

4.  Configure other features.  Possibly save them to a JRiver "cloud" server.

5.  Quick tutorial on how MC works, probably with links.

Then the curtains pull back and MC emerges.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Modified Setup (proposal)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 06:11:19 am »

This setup would add a lot of clicks when a user first installs, but it might ease new users into how things work and give them some easy ways to improve their experience (no TV, no Images, etc.)  "Have it your way."

Update installs would bypass this.

A bypass button on the first screen might allow experts to skip the wizard.

CountryBumkin

Re: Modified Setup (a proposal for comment)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 07:05:30 am »

I think this is an excellent step in the right direction.

You may want to consider some adding some kind of hardware test (benchmark) and provide setup guidance based on that score (benchmark over 2500 >RO+HQ, under 2500 >RO+Std). Perhaps a few question in the Video and Audio sections to see what hardware the user has.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 07:06:36 am »

Would appreciate a 0 screen "do you want to run the configuration wizard? yes/no"

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 07:38:04 am »

Would appreciate a 0 screen "do you want to run the configuration wizard? yes/no"

This would be my biggest request as well.  Otherwise I think it's a definite step in the right direction (especially giving a manual/auto option on the initial media search).

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 08:19:55 am »

If you do the 'skip the wizard' choice, at the beginning put the import/skip import (or whatever you call it) on that screen too.  I don't want to go through the wizard on a new install, and I DON'T EVER want the auto import to run.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 08:21:11 am »

If you do the 'skip the wizard' choice, at the beginning put the import/skip import (or whatever you call it) on that screen too.  I don't want to go through the wizard on a new install, and I DON'T EVER want the auto import to run.

Or just default to not launching any kind of import if you skip the wizard (my preference).  I think people "get" that skipping a wizard means things won't be pre-configured.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 08:36:33 am »

Or just default to not launching any kind of import if you skip the wizard (my preference).  I think people "get" that skipping a wizard means things won't be pre-configured.
My preference too.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Modified Setup (proposal)
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 09:05:26 am »

This setup would add a lot of clicks when a user first installs, but it might ease new users into how things work and give them some easy ways to improve their experience (no TV, no Images, etc.)  "Have it your way."

Update installs would bypass this.

A bypass button on the first screen might allow experts to skip the wizard.

As a new user starting with ver 18 at about 3/4 before ver 19 hit..these are my thoughts from a new user perspective.

You may want to consider some adding some kind of hardware test (benchmark) and provide setup guidance based on that score (benchmark over 2500 >RO+HQ, under 2500 >RO+Std). Perhaps a few question in the Video and Audio sections to see what hardware the user has.
++

++

The use of the term "import", as has been raised several times in various threads, was of some concern to me. For anybody coming from iTunes it has potentially bad connotations, and for people with large collections of media all set up in structured directories they could baulk at the term and cancel the installation altogether. I know I paused and went back to read more before continuing.

But it needn't cause any concern, if it was named correctly. Because what MC actually does is index your media files, and store that index in a database, which JRiver call a library.

Lots of people understand Windows file indexing is non-destructive to the files it indexes, even if it can be painfully slow and resource hungry. If the MC process was called Indexing instead of Importing that whole issue could disappear.

For obvious reasons though, calling the database a Library makes sense.

What do you think?

The word "import" did not confuse me as to what it was going to do but i get that it could to some.

If you do the 'skip the wizard' choice, at the beginning put the import/skip import (or whatever you call it) on that screen too.  I don't want to go through the wizard on a new install, and I DON'T EVER want the auto import to run.

++ and the I DON'T EVER WANT THE AUTO IMPORT TO RUN IS A MUST!!

the first time i installed MC i did not see the area at the bottom left to stop auto import and when it started to import i freaked out and closed MC and immediately went and uninstalled it and reinstalled to see what the heck was going on and that 2nd time i found the bottom left area in time to stop auto import and see what MC was all about befor setting it up....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 09:26:08 am »

that said...

What was most important to me on the first use of MC and coming from WMP was the discord in actual cd count! Trust me it was the first thing i noticed after i had MC up and running side by side of WMP the second thing was the playback MC outshines anything i tried and i tried about 10-15 players before i stumbled upon MC

so out of the box the first and most important thing is a TRUE and Actual count. I should not have to dance to get this.

So why not after the installation runs, on the start screen that is then default have your new instruction page (s) with instructions how to change the start-up page.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 09:40:17 am »

If this is truly to help a first time user, then a small explanation of each step would be helpfull.

Something along the lines of "Importing files will not ...." or "Skins let you select the color scheme...."

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 10:17:44 am »

CountryBumkin

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 10:18:47 am »

I wouldn't bother with the choice "Simple --- Expert". Everyone thinks they're an expert (or at least they want all the possible setup choices shown).

Have you ever gone to the airport and watched how many people get in the TSA "experienced traveler" line (like ...everyone). Then fiddle around wasting time taking their laptop out or removing their shoes

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 10:23:08 am »

I think a cancel on the first screen would work as well.

Castius

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 10:23:45 am »

I think that is a good start.

Will users be able to rerun this setup at anytime?  For some users this may be all they need to configure their setup.

You may also want to have them pick their theaterview skin.

As well as some other start options like what view should jriver open with in startup.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 10:27:09 am »

If this is truly to help a first time user, then a small explanation of each step would be helpfull.

Something along the lines of "Importing files will not ...." or "Skins let you select the color scheme...."
We will do that.  I've just tried to outline the necessary or desirable steps.

Krazykanuck

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 10:59:05 am »

Instead of simple, expert

First time user (recommended settings)
Returning user.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 11:06:44 am »

Might be good to include a note that any choices/selections can be changed/reversed later on.

That way people don't feel like that each choice sends them down a one-way path.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 11:13:30 am »

Instead of simple, expert

First time user (recommended settings)
Returning user.
MC already makes that distinction.  If it has been previously installed and configured, any new installation uses those settings.

We have a lot of cases to consider:

New, completely fresh user.

Old user, new installation, new machine.

Old or new user, new update install.

Old or new user, new upgrade install.

Any user who uninstalls, then reinstalls.

They all have to work well.

A couple of comments were made above that I don't quite agree with.

Everyone considers themselves an expert.  It isn't the case, based on e-mail we get from users who didn't buy or are uninstalling.  "Too complex", "more than I needed", "confusing", etc.

And "people "get" that skipping a wizard means things won't be pre-configured".  I don't think you can assume that.

So, this is more complicated than it looks.  What we have now works well in most cases.  Any given user, expert or beginner, might want something different, but we don't know which they are when MC is installed.

I don't want to add a lot of complexity in the beginning and then find out that it works less well.  We need to be careful.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 11:13:56 am »

Might be good to include a note that any choices/selections can be changed/reversed later on.

That way people don't feel like that each choice sends them down a one-way path.
Good point.  We'll do that.

Arindelle

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 11:37:52 am »

How about just putting it under Help/Installation and run it after the program is installed? If and when you update the wizard, you can then change the content via the upgrade. It would have to force a library backup, but that shouldn't be too tricky.

On your download page just make it clear to go there first. I don't understand why you would need to put this on every version change - people will use the wizard once, a couple of times maybe if they start over again from scratch. Whereas I've probably changed versions thousands of times if counting clients. (For installs on separate PCs it would be SO handy to be able to transfer views and smartlists without a fake restore. A little bit off-topic, but you mentioned fresh installs)

And maybe a nuke "reset options to factory settings" button, for people who start playing around with advanced options and don't know how to get it to work right again (then again what are defaults in JR, might be a silly suggestion, the reset LOL)

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 11:50:48 am »

It should only run automatically when the library is empty, just like the current 45 second "scan all your drives" prompt.

Help → First-time setup would work if someone wanted to run it again.

Steps like configuring and testing a device could also run when you add a new zone, for example.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 12:42:15 pm »

Split:  Make JRiver more self explaining

Please help keep discussion focused on initial setup.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 12:43:14 pm »

Split:  Scan all drives

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 12:46:12 pm »

Split:  Top level viewscheme

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 04:46:51 pm »

Jim,

i got nothing much to offer.  it is a necessary step in the right direction.  i like many others have an old laptop/pc i use for playing on i would gladly load up whatever you determine is the best 1st draft and then give you my thoughts.

but back to that language thing (and i agree with what you likely hear from folks who try it and move on) but...

<<old user>> is that over 65 years old, or over 55 years old, or over 45 years old...and if i'm an old user would i qualify for a seniors discount (via my AARP or CARP card).. did you mean returning or previous user ;D

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 09:01:47 pm »

I would suggest a combination of tutorial and setup wizard. For example:

"If you have used other products, you may find MC a little different. It doesn't' care where files are on disk. It stores information (Tags) on the files and you can create multiples views of the the files. You can look at them by disc location, genera, type, etc" -> Next

"Now its time to collect information about the files" Yada Yada walks through import process.

That sort of thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up