INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM + WASAPI: white noise and blue screen  (Read 3230 times)

njoak

• Recent member
WDM + WASAPI: white noise and blue screen
« on: November 02, 2014, 08:41:02 am »

As the title suggests, I am having some trouble with using WASAPI with the new WDM driver.

I switched to the WDM driver from using the ASIO driver together with Hifi cable/ASIO bridge. Unfortunately I immediately had trouble with white noise on media sources outputting WASAPI exclusive. More specifically I use an external player for much of my media, and this player makes use of the LAV suite and Reclock. Reclock is set to output WASAPI exclusive to the JRiver WDM driver.

The white noise issue happens when starting playback or skipping backwards/forwards during playback. Sometimes it works, but most of the times I get a short burst of white noise. That's fine, but, sometimes the (quite loud!) white noise continues and I have to restart playback or keep skipping a couple of times to get rid of it. If it helps, JRiver doesn't stop the "lpc" playback during these skips.

I have tried different buffer sizes (up to 1000ms) for both Reclock and JRiver input and output without any change. But if I switch to Directsound (all other settings the same) the white noise issue goes away and everything is rock solid.

Maybe on a related note, if I skip Reclock and output WASAPI (don't know if exclusive or not) directly from the media player to the WDM Driver the PC reboots with a blue screen saying "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (JRiverWDMDriver.sys)".

aproc

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: WDM + WASAPI: white noise and blue screen
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 09:05:12 am »

I too have the same issue when using Wasapi exclusive output from Reclock in MPC-HC.

)p(

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 09:59:14 am »

I have had two occasions with spotify and the wdm driver outputting white noise and I had to restart jrmc to fix it.

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 10:11:11 am »

More specifically I use an external player for much of my media, and this player makes use of the LAV suite and Reclock. Reclock is set to output WASAPI exclusive to the JRiver WDM driver.
Is there a particular reason you are not using Media Center with the VideoClock option enabled?
The developer of LAV Splitter (Hendrik) now works for JRiver.

njoak

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 10:41:43 am »

Is there a particular reason you are not using Media Center with the VideoClock option enabled?
The developer of LAV Splitter (Hendrik) now works for JRiver.

I only use JRiver as a pre-pro basically. Crossover duties, channel mixing and general DSP stuff.

It's mostly for historical reasons (committed to other media center ecosystem) that I don't use MC for playback much, but I'll never get all my sources into JRiver anyway so it is beside the point, I think. But yes, I know Hendrik works for JRiver. Might be helpful in this case... :)

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 10:56:07 am »

njoak,

i suggest you reinstall a much earlier version of JRiver.  i had nothing but trouble with JRiver post WDM, and after spending way too much time "playing around" trying solve the problems, i went way back to .10 and things are back to normal (so far). you may want to try that also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up