INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Save and Load Views  (Read 3623 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
How To Save and Load Views
« on: November 06, 2014, 08:15:10 am »

You can save and load Views and share the Views among your other computers. You can even share Views with other JRiver users. If you have custom Library Fields, the View may not work on other computers. I haven't tested this.

Views need to be saved in either of these two locations:
In the Saved Views folder of JRiver: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 20\Data\Saved Views
In the Library: This is usually found in C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 20\Library\Saved Views
You can create a new folder in the Library such as Saved Views.
To find the location of your Library you can go to Playing Now and select your Library. Its location will show at the top of the right pane.

Computer A
Right Click a View > Edit View > Settings > Saved Views > Save this view
You can save to one of the above locations, or to a shared folder accessible by all computers

Computer B
Copy the View file from its saved location to to one of the two required file paths on Computer B
Right Click a View > Add Library View
Select your saved View and click OK

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
Re: How To Save and Load Views
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 08:31:46 am »

It doesn't look like this will work for Theater Views.  Am I just missing it?
pretend this is something funny

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 09:34:06 am »

Having to manual recreate user defined fields on the other systems is a drawback for me. This often stops me from further customization.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 11:52:42 am »

Here's some comments I made about this system five years ago now...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=53791.msg366253#msg366253

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 12:37:08 pm »

Yes this is a work-around for transferring Views, thanks Mojave.

But it doesn't work in the context of the "Too Easy" thread ... if you have views based on user created fields or expressions based on these fields; these views are for Standard View only - not for remote, or theater views.

Also,as an aside, if you have customized your menu like I do using Navigation and favorites this will not transfer that over.

However, once clients are set-up, and if they are loading the server library, all new Views will be synced with the client UI (for the loaded library only).

The quickest way I have found to set-up clients is to restore a copy of the server PC's backup.  Two ways of doing this :

• 1- just restore, go to a file view and select all tracks and remove them from the Library.
  • or  a cleaner way if you are trying to set up a friends system for example -- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP SECURELY THE SERVER LIBRARY FIRST.  2- On the server library remove all media (NOT by the clear option!), just select all records and remove from the library ONLY, not the physical files of course.  Then Backup up. Save this backup which will not have any library entries in it. It will have all custom database fields, views etc. Restore this blank backup on a client machine.  Go back to the server and RESTORE a prior version of that library's backup

Oh just a note if your are helping friends or family members  -- you have to edit their registry which for most people would be a real PITFA. If you use a network access key, you will copy it on to the other persons machine  ... if your friend has their server on you can be booting into their system (or vice-versa). Ok You just have to delete this HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 20\Library Server\Registered Access Key ... but this is far from being intuitive and people shouldn't be messing with registry entries anyways IMO

Now of course this is a complete set up and not just sharing views in the three modes (standard, theater, and remotes), but I can't see getting around this -- aren't theater views hard coded btw?

I do not believe in sandboxing and ripping to local libraries myself  - I just use a special tag and then transfer the files to the server in a temporary directory .. when I'm happy with the tags I just move the files to the main area. However, for people who can't be convinced at doing their tagging that way (or they prefer using JR's ripper which can't run externally to the program ... ) this is still a real pain, as the views  and database would have to be imported or manually entered as new customizations come up. Also there are people who run multiple server libraries .... for Justin's rating issue, it really is complicated

PS - @Justin maybe you could use just one library by setting up a custom rating field for each person?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 01:25:48 pm »

Yes, this doesn't work for Theater View or Remote Views. I always build these in Standard View, though, so would be able to save/load. Of course then they still need to be converted to Theater View or Remote Views when loaded on another computer.

Attached is a Recent Lists View for anyone that wants to try loading a saved View. Just change the extension from .txt to .jvi and place in the Saved Views folder located at one of the two locations.

Instead of loading the View, you just need to right click any View and select Add Library View. The View will be available in the list. I added the Recent Lists to the Root.

I had custom Library Fields in my original View, but was able to add the Recent Lists View to a new Library without any problems.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 10:25:57 pm »

Here's some comments I made about this system five years ago now...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=53791.msg366253#msg366253

+1 to everything Marko said then, and now.  I'd LOVE to see some kind of sharing system, much more robust than what we have now, for saved Media Views.  That is, by no means, a small project though.

It would also be fantastic to have a detailed wiki article on Media Views.  I wrote one a LONG time ago (MC12 era), but I just don't have time to do it now.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up