INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buy JRiver version 16 as later versions will crash  (Read 3048 times)

skroon

Buy JRiver version 16 as later versions will crash
« on: November 08, 2014, 01:52:19 pm »

Hi,
I ran into JRiver because I was not satisfied with the sound quality of other media players when playing music.
I think JRiver provides me with a very detailed music experience and I would like to buy a license key.
The only problem I have is that the current version 20 crashes on my home theatre pc.
The brand of the pc is Origen (S16T), Windows 7 is the operating system and I run Windows media center, XBMC , DVBLogic client on it without problems.
Only when I start JRiver 20 in Theatre mode, after a while, say an hour, the full 4GB of the internal memory is consumed. And in the task manager I see JRiver as the responsible program for that. Before I start JRiver, only 1,6 GB is consumed, with JRiver 20 running it becomes 4GB. And I am only playing music.

I googled on this subject and searched on this forum and I found that somebody had a similar problem. He also told that version 16 didnot have that problem. So I downloaded that version and that is now running for weeks without any memory problems.

Now I come to the point that I would like to buy version 16, only the program tells me I am not able to as the version is too old...
But I would like to have a license and pay for it. Matter of being fair I think.

So either I can buy version 16 or how can I solve the memory problem?

Sandor

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Buy JRiver version 16 as later versions will crash
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 02:11:28 pm »

Please try updating your video driver.  It may not do well with 3D graphics.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 04:15:14 pm »

Follow Jim's advice first, for sure. As a general point to note, it's also worthwhile keeping this link handy:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Guide
that you can find on the Wiki.

Looks like you've found the previous build here on Interact for MC20 Build 16.

Also, you're buying a licence for a version of MC. In this case, version 20. I thought that licence let you run any build along the way. I wasn't aware that roll backs to an earlier build are limited. I thought that the user had freedom to choose.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 04:27:24 pm »

An MC20 license will work only with MC20 or MC19 (latest build).

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 04:30:38 pm »

The brand of the pc is Origen (S16T), Windows 7 is the operating system and I run Windows media center, XBMC , DVBLogic client on it without problems.
Only when I start JRiver 20 in Theatre mode, after a while, say an hour, the full 4GB of the internal memory is consumed. And in the task manager I see JRiver as the responsible program for that. Before I start JRiver, only 1,6 GB is consumed, with JRiver 20 running it becomes 4GB. And I am only playing music.

Sandor

The pc case is "Origen S16T" but that is not the important info. I have the same case. it is the motherboard (i.e. Asus model xxxx or Gigabyte xxxx or whaterver) and the CPU (i3 or i5, etc.) and video card (if you use a discrete card). You should check to see if you have the latest drivers for those devices.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 05:36:16 pm »

The pc case is "Origen S16T" but that is not the important info. I have the same case. it is the motherboard (i.e. Asus model xxxx or Gigabyte xxxx or whaterver) and the CPU (i3 or i5, etc.) and video card (if you use a discrete card). You should check to see if you have the latest drivers for those devices.

Good advice. In addition to the mobo manufacturer's updated drivers, Intel has this to offer:
Driver Update Utility
I just ran it now and got myself a graphics driver update.

Before installing the update though, I set a restore point just in case. Never hurts to be able to roll back easily if something's amiss.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 08:15:41 pm »

Why would outdated video drivers cause a memory leak (which is what he describes) ?

skroon

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 03:11:02 am »

Hi all,

thanks so far for all the advises. I will first try to update the video driver. As Theatre mode is displaying pictures in background and I have a visualization running it could be the cause.
And I will put details like motherboard and processor on this post.

Keep you posted,
Sandor

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 06:23:01 am »

Why would outdated video drivers cause a memory leak (which is what he describes) ?
A driver is software.

It may be something else.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 07:21:19 am »

Hi all,

thanks so far for all the advises. I will first try to update the video driver. As Theatre mode is displaying pictures in background and I have a visualization running it could be the cause.
And I will put details like motherboard and processor on this post.

Keep you posted,
Sandor

Also try testing with Windows Resource Monitor (Windows Task Manager >Resource Monitor) open/visible to see what is going on regarding CPU, memory, Disk, network, activity.

skroon

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 07:02:51 am »

Well,

I downloaded Intel Driver Update Utility and that tells me that I have a Intel Desktop Board DH67GD.
Processor is i3-2100 3.1GHz
Internal memory is 4GB
Windows 7 64 bit

The new drivers that are recommended are:
- 2 for graphics
- 1 for audio
- 1 infrared
- 1 usb
- 1 me
- 1 chipset
- 1 raid

I will try them 1 by 1, starting with the graphics.

Will be a time consuming process. Update driver, Install JRiver 20 and see how it goes.
Will take weeks for me as I am not home that frequently.

Keep you posted.

Sandor

skroon

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 03:14:28 pm »

Well, that was the trick.
Updated all the drivers. Took less than an hour.
Installed JRiver 20.
Ran all day yesterday without consuming more and more internal memory.
Memory usage remained around the same percentage all day.
So problem solved and bought a license of JRiver.
Thanks for all the (good) advises and the link to the driver update utility.
Finally I can concentrate on improved and more extensive use of JRiver.

Sandor
Pages: [1]   Go Up