INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Add new Device From Drives and Devices  (Read 1293 times)

john_kane

• Junior Woodchuck
Add new Device From Drives and Devices
« on: November 09, 2014, 07:03:09 pm »

If you select the "Playing From" folder under Playing Now, it lists the libraries you've defined and has a "Add Library..." option. Pretty obvious to the end user.

If you select "Drives and Devices" you see the (previously) defined devices.  But no such option to "Add Device..."

I'd like to see  to see "Add Device..." under Drives and Devices.  Right now, you have to drive into Tools, Options, Handheld, Device management, Add Device.  And I can say from personal experience that this is not intuitive (to them).

You've seen my other posts/feature requests on android device sync options, including Matt's original suggestion to add a 'sync by playlist-converted to a folder', for devices that don't handle playlists (like most car stereo systems). I've ready many threads on useability/Sonos comparison/ etc., that have echoed a similar point.   I'm the gear-head, trying to get the rest of the household to convert over to MC.  It starts with their devices (and most of them are android devices or usb sticks). We have lots of them (devices) here.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Add new Device From Drives and Devices
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 07:33:46 pm »

If you plug in a handheld device, like an Android, MC should find it and add it automatically.

john_kane

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Add new Device From Drives and Devices
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 07:12:10 am »

Jim,

Yeah, well, that's the whole thing. "It should". Android life has changed for the worse with MPT and the loss of usb mass storage mode.  And either enabling/disabling USB debugging on the device all the time is a hassle and not all the household members get it.

You've seen my other requests for features to help in that area.  Short of that, I've had to resort to virtual devices coupled with other file sync tools.

And as I mentioned, we've got a lot of different memory devices used as music storage for cars, audio systems: usb sticks, Sd cards etc.  they are managed well as devices, but need to be setup first.

For the case where the devices are auto-detected properly as you note, I'd settle for a  "Manage Devices..." option, since (even if detected) they've got to go there to setup and configure anyway.

Anyway, I thought the 'Add XXXX...' was a small and intuitive addition, and would make the left side bar a little more consistent.  "Add Playlist..." under Playlists while we're at it.

Right Click operations tend to be less intuitive and the option of last resort for most of the common users.

Pages: [1]   Go Up