INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Entering the MC registration code from the command line  (Read 9413 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Entering the MC registration code from the command line
« on: January 23, 2015, 10:01:35 am »

These instructions for entering the registration code from the command line are courtesy of mwillems

I thought I'd add a note for anyone wanting to use the command-line option mentioned in Bob's post. The correct command syntax is:

Code: [Select]
mediacenterXX /RestoreFromFile "Media Center20 Linux-YYYYYY.mjr"
(replacing the X's and Y's with the correct numbers from your specific .mjr file).

See: http://yabb.JRiver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89884.0

Bob's extra notes:
1) The "" are required since there are spaces in the mjr file.
2) When doing this from the command line you must be the same user as the one running MC (not root or some other user).

rumos

• Recent member
Re: Entering the MC registration code from the command line
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 03:21:31 pm »

Thanks a lot for this post as the mjr file is not associated to the mediacenter!  ;)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 04:55:44 pm »

Thanks a lot for this post as the mjr file is not associated to the mediacenter!  ;)
True but even if it was it still would require the command line arg to install the license.

Weedos123

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 03:42:38 am »

Having previously successfully install my master licence using the above instructions, I got a fully working copy of mc.  So rather than recreate all my settings etc I thought I'd use a current backup from my Mac to recreate the same set up in Linux.  That all went well.
Ran mc on the Linux box and it said my licence had expired.  So I tried using the an older mjr file to restore my licence but that had expired too.  So entered my licence details in the box that popped up, when doing a restore licence.  That was accepted and I received a new mjr file. Tried mc still said licence had expired. Restored the licence from the mjr file via the command line, that said it had completed successfully, tried mc again still said licence expired.  Tried whole thing again, got another mjr file. Same result.

So now stuck.  How do I proceed from here?

It's a debian installation with MC v88
Thanks
2012 i7 Mac Mini - Media Center for mac |
Debian Wheezy 64 bit - Media Center for linux| Exasound e28 DAC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 07:10:50 am »

Make sure the version matches the license. 

Check your system clock.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 09:38:27 am »

Having previously successfully install my master licence using the above instructions, I got a fully working copy of mc.  So rather than recreate all my settings etc I thought I'd use a current backup from my Mac to recreate the same set up in Linux.  That all went well.
Ran mc on the Linux box and it said my licence had expired.  So I tried using the an older mjr file to restore my licence but that had expired too.  So entered my licence details in the box that popped up, when doing a restore licence.  That was accepted and I received a new mjr file. Tried mc still said licence had expired. Restored the licence from the mjr file via the command line, that said it had completed successfully, tried mc again still said licence expired.  Tried whole thing again, got another mjr file. Same result.

So now stuck.  How do I proceed from here?

It's a debian installation with MC v88
Thanks
Check permissions and ownership on the .jriver directory in the users home directory.

Weedos123

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 11:48:01 am »

Jim/Bob
The clocks on both the Linux and Mac boxes both say 6 April 2015. Both machines are on v20.

The permissions on the .jriver directory and Lock and media centre 20 sub directories are drwxr_xr_x and the owner and group is "server" (the logged in user).  The files in the lock folder are all _rwr__r__.  Should they be otherwise?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 11:49:23 am »

Old versions won't work with a Master License.  Try updating.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 02:12:07 pm »

Jim/Bob
The clocks on both the Linux and Mac boxes both say 6 April 2015. Both machines are on v20.

The permissions on the .jriver directory and Lock and media centre 20 sub directories are drwxr_xr_x and the owner and group is "server" (the logged in user).  The files in the lock folder are all _rwr__r__.  Should they be otherwise?

Thanks
As Jim said, make sure you have a current build.
The permissions and user sound correct.

Weedos123

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 03:08:26 pm »

Jim/Bob
The Mac version I have is 20.0.87.  The Linux is v20.0.88, both current versions I believe.  As I had a vanilla debian installation, of v88 working and licensed before I restored a copy of Mac library, I thought there must must be some sort of inconsistency in restoring from a Mac to a Linux install.

The problem I now have is I got to the end of my Linux knowledge and can't get any further than what I just tried. Which was.

Completely remove MC using "apt-get --purge remove mediacenter20" and reboot.
Reinstall using "apt-get install mediacenter20"

Hoping I get a completely clean install which I could then register as I originally did.  But no it still says could not restore licence from file etc.  which leads me to think that it could be the licence file, but I got 2 fresh copies today and none work. So stumped again.
Thanks

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 04:55:55 pm »

Jim/Bob
The Mac version I have is 20.0.87.  The Linux is v20.0.88, both current versions I believe.  As I had a vanilla debian installation, of v88 working and licensed before I restored a copy of Mac library, I thought there must must be some sort of inconsistency in restoring from a Mac to a Linux install.

The problem I now have is I got to the end of my Linux knowledge and can't get any further than what I just tried. Which was.

Completely remove MC using "apt-get --purge remove mediacenter20" and reboot.
Reinstall using "apt-get install mediacenter20"

Hoping I get a completely clean install which I could then register as I originally did.  But no it still says could not restore licence from file etc.  which leads me to think that it could be the licence file, but I got 2 fresh copies today and none work. So stumped again.
Thanks
The configurations are probably not completely compatible across linux and the Mac.
To start over you don't need to reinstall MC, just remove the .jriver directory in your user home directory.

Weedos123

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 01:18:07 pm »

Bob
Well removing the .jriver directory still didn't help. Same issue as before.  So going to start over completely from scratch and see what happens then.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 02:03:46 pm »

Bob
Well removing the .jriver directory still didn't help. Same issue as before.  So going to start over completely from scratch and see what happens then.
Are you on debian WHEEZY?
i386 or amd64?

Send me your registration code in a PM please.

Weedos123

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 03:54:02 pm »

Bob

PM sent

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up