INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play plays in fixed order instead of list order  (Read 3530 times)

MGD_King

• Citizen of the Universe
  • It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
Play plays in fixed order instead of list order
« on: February 04, 2015, 08:02:59 pm »

20.0.66 (2/4/2015)

1. Fixed: Doing a play on a grouped artist, etc. tile would expand the files in a fixed way instead of using the sorting of the bottom list.

Matt, this didn't fix the issue that I reported here.

olegausany

• Recent member
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 09:45:09 pm »

It also didn't fixed issues i reported either, everything was fine in build .46 so have no idea why it was necessary to change it

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 06:37:05 am »

Matt, this didn't fix the issue that I reported here.

Same here, it is unchanged and the behavior remains the same as when initially reported.
. . . the game is rigged

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Play plays in fixed order instead of list order
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 08:14:08 am »

Can someone that's having this problem describe exactly the steps to create a similar view?  And how exactly are tracks getting started for playback?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 08:41:40 pm »

bump

MGD_King

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 11:10:18 am »

Matt,

As I mentioned in my first post, if I right-click on an Artist, select play, instead of playing in the order that I have in my view (which is Album sorted by year ascending), then MC will play in the following order:

Disc "A" - Track 1
Disc "B" - Track 1
Disc "C" - Track 1
Disc "A" - Track 2
Disc "B" - Track 2
Disc "C" - Track 2

All the way through all three discs. I have a custom view for how I display artists, but I also tried this on a "stock" view and it did the same thing. I also have a sorting issue when playing audio tracks through an Xbox 360, as it plays everything in alphabetical order, regardless if I play an artist, an album (i.e., all tracks in an album are played in alphabetical order, not in track number sequence), or a playlist. In fact, if I play a playlist through the Xbox it plays the Artist in alphabetical order, then all of the tracks from that artist in alphabetical order by album like I mentioned earlier. Might be totally unrelated, but it's weird/kind-of-annoying.

I can provided screen shots of anything you may need if you want (currently at work so I can't do that until tonight/this weekend).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 11:15:39 am »

If I right-click an Artist in the stock Artists view and pick play, it honors the order of the bottom list perfectly.

I set the bottom list to sort randomly so it's shuffled.  I play and it perfectly honors what I'm seeing in the bottom list.

I'm so stumped.

MGD_King

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 05:20:30 pm »

Matt, to confuse the issue I just tried it again and this time I get different results. Instead of playing in the order of when the album is released like it was before, now it just randomizes the albums, but still plays all of track #1's, and then all of track #2's, then 3's, so forth and so on.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 07:55:52 am »

I tried a couple of my Library Views, sending a double album from each to Playing Now.
The one view that sent the files in proper order was set to "Sort Inside Groups By: Default"
The one view that sent the files in mixed order was set to "Sort Inside Groups By: Custom - File Type"

Reverting that to "Default" seems to have corrected the problem.
The confusing thing is that the display order was correct in both views. I had inserted the "File Type" sort in order to list FLAC files grouped separately from mp3 files when both exist so as to make it easier to play a complete album or FLAC or sent and album of mp3's to a folder/disc/drive.
. . . the game is rigged

MGD_King

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 11:12:07 am »

I tried a couple of my Library Views, sending a double album from each to Playing Now.
The one view that sent the files in proper order was set to "Sort Inside Groups By: Default"
The one view that sent the files in mixed order was set to "Sort Inside Groups By: Custom - File Type"

Reverting that to "Default" seems to have corrected the problem.
The confusing thing is that the display order was correct in both views. I had inserted the "File Type" sort in order to list FLAC files grouped separately from mp3 files when both exist so as to make it easier to play a complete album or FLAC or sent and album of mp3's to a folder/disc/drive.

That fixes it, sort of. Sorting the date "Sort Inside Groups By: Default" now sends an artist in the order listed even though, as you said, it was listed properly to begin with because of the view. However, if you have an artist with multiple albums in the same year, then it randomizes that year.

What did fix it, however, since you pointed me in the right direction, was to sort by album name first, then sort by year (making it the first sort, then album name), to make my sorts look like this in the attachment.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 09:51:00 am »

Is there any problem left, or does setting the sorting once fix all the issues people are having?

MGD_King

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 10:00:13 am »

Is there any problem left, or does setting the sorting once fix all the issues people are having?
Matt, it fixes it for me. However, I find it strange that I have to set that sorting. I would have thought that MC would be more intuitive to just play how it's displayed, not based on how it's sorted.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 10:05:41 am »

Matt, it fixes it for me. However, I find it strange that I have to set that sorting. I would have thought that MC would be more intuitive to just play how it's displayed, not based on how it's sorted.

Well, I can't really explain the difference.

Maybe sorting is applied at the end of the display chain if there's no sorting.  But we don't use the display chain (of course) when we query for playback files.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 12:28:26 pm »

But we don't use the display chain (of course) when we query for playback files.

Perhaps you should so WYSIWYG ?
. . . the game is rigged

MGD_King

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 02:16:43 pm »

Perhaps you should so WYSIWYG ?
Couldn't hurt, especially with new users. I've been a MC user for years and just thought this was somewhat normal behavior. Took me until this post to realize what was happening.
Pages: [1]   Go Up