INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WASAPI: I can only get sound from 24 bit sources  (Read 25395 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: WASAPI: I can only get sound from 24 bit sources
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2015, 12:31:16 am »

Oh, the machine is a Dell Inspiron 660.

Dell's product names are useless, unfortunately, and they often have special drivers.

Find your Service Tag:
http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/article/Product-Support/Self-support-Knowledgebase/locate-service-tag/Desktops
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2015, 12:32:29 am »

Well, one rather unpleasant change. No sound at all from the system, not even from the device test.

This is actually a good thing.  We made it change.  Change badly, yes, but change.  That means we're probably getting somewhere.

Was this after the GPU reinstall or after the IMEI change?  I hope you did them separately.  Please do everything separately and test in between.  Always.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2015, 12:38:40 am »

Dell lists IMEI driver 9.5.14.1724,A01 (16 Oct 2013) as the current version for the Inspiron 660 from Early 2012, which looks like it could be your box, but I can't confirm without the Service Tag.

If that is it, there's also a BIOS update.  Though, I'd save that for last if possible (and make SURE not to get excited and do that as a combo with other steps).

Goalline

• Recent member
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2015, 12:50:17 am »

This is actually a good thing.  We made it change.  Change badly, yes, but change.  That means we're probably getting somewhere.

Was this after the GPU reinstall or after the IMEI change?  I hope you did them separately.  Please do everything separately and test in between.  Always.

Your first sentence made me laugh. Makes sense though. The issue occurred after the GPU install.

Oh wait. Sound. Not sure what happened there. This time only through MC. The issue persists. 44.1K files will not play. Neither the Tidal app nor any browser based sound will play.

Goalline

• Recent member
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2015, 12:57:28 am »

Service  tag is HHZ1QS1

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2015, 01:02:08 am »

Okay.  Yep.  The page I found before was for yours.  Your drivers are here:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/HHZ1QS1/drivers

The Intel GPU drivers themselves I'd get the ones from Intel.  But, the IMEI driver you should get from here.  It looks like you should end up with something like version 9.5.14.1724.  That could be a driver "package" version number though.  But get that one and install it.

Then, let me know if anything changes.

If that fails, I'd try this (roughly in order, testing in between each one and reverting if it made no difference):

1. Uninstall the Conexant onboard audio driver via Device Manager and disable it in the BIOS.
2. Uninstalling the GPU driver (as we did above) and installing the one from Dell on that page.
3. Update the BIOS.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2015, 01:04:16 am »

Oh wait. Sound. Not sure what happened there. This time only through MC. The issue persists. 44.1K files will not play. Neither the Tidal app nor any browser based sound will play.

Before you start any of that, recheck your default audio device in Windows.  It probably changed when you uninstalled the GPU driver forcibly like that.  It might be set to the JRiver WDM driver or perhaps nothing at all.

That might be the only reason you're not getting sound in Windows anymore.

Then proceed with the above.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2015, 01:06:55 am »

The BIOS update is an update to the Management Engine.  Just saying...

If you update your BIOS, save the old one out to disc (or make sure you download a clean copy of the old version from Dell) first before you do the update.  That way you can roll back if it messes it all up.

It probably won't, but I've never minded having the chance to go backwards on a BIOS version.

I'd still do my tests in the order described above.  Fix the IMEI driver before all else.  Then do the updates/tests in the order I suggested.  Maybe you promote the BIOS update to before trying Dell's GPU driver.  That part's up to you.

Goalline

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2015, 01:21:27 am »

Before you start any of that, recheck your default audio device in Windows.  It probably changed when you uninstalled the GPU driver forcibly like that.  It might be set to the JRiver WDM driver or perhaps nothing at all.

That might be the only reason you're not getting sound in Windows anymore.

Then proceed with the above.

Pretty sure the audio device has been set correctly. MC plays files. Unfortunately, I can't get sound from anything else.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2015, 01:25:39 am »

Pretty sure the audio device has been set correctly. MC plays files. Unfortunately, I can't get sound from anything else.

Check and make sure it has the green checkmark like in this screenshot:

If so, then I'm calling that progress, even though it is crappy right now.

Do the IMEI thing.  I'm pretty sure you have the wrong version of that in there.  And the BIOS update might need to go with it, since that's a Management Engine BIOS update.  There could be other BIOS fixes too, if you're a few versions back.

Goalline

• Recent member
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2015, 08:39:36 am »

I think I'm going to take the weekend to knock this thing out. Thanks so much for your help.

Goalline

• Recent member
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2015, 08:49:09 pm »

OK, I may need more help with the BIOS. I think it is interfering with the update of the drivers, if I'm understanding you correctly, Glynor.

As usual, your assumptions are spot on. When I set the default to 48K everything plays as before. 44.1K files refuse to play if default is set at 16 bit 44.1K. Counter intuitive, really.

oneklakes

• Recent member
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2015, 02:01:34 pm »

Goalline & Glynor,

Not sure if this is helpful but you might want to check this thread: https://communities.intel.com/thread/32935?start=0&tstart=0

I also have a Pioneer receiver hooked up to my HTPC via HDMI (using the on board Intel video/audio drivers) and cannot play 44,100 audio files via WASAPI. They play fine if upsampled to 48,000 (Direct Sound) as do all other files (audio & video) at other bit rates which are not multiples of 44,100.

oneklakes

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2015, 02:27:31 pm »

That looks like a smoking gun.  The OP's described issue in that thread matches yours exactly, Goalline.

Goalline

• Recent member
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2015, 09:37:29 pm »

Interesting. I am using the exact same receiver. Well, the American version, the SC 67 anyway. Seems to me the receiver doesn't play nice with Intel drivers in WASAPI mode.

Edit: Read the rest of the thread. Confirmed. Time to ditch this Intel machine.

Thanks for your help, guys.

oneklakes

• Recent member
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2015, 02:55:09 pm »

Before you ditch the PC, you should check out this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=145249

Per the last post there, I confirmed that setting the refresh rate to 59i will allow MC to play 44.1K files via WASAPI HDMI on my Pioneer AVR.

From a video standpoint though, is it worth "reducing" the refresh rate just to have this work? If there's no negative effect, then we could just leave it and be done with it. Otherwise, the workaround would be to set up video and audio profiles in the display driver app and switch back and forth depending on what whether we're listening to audio v. watching video.

Glynor and others, any thoughts on this approach?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2015, 06:15:19 pm »

I'd get a cheap discreet graphics card and be done with it.  There's nothing else wrong with that PC.  It does have one PCIe x16 slot, so as long as it isn't super-crowded in the case, you should be able to get any mainstream video card and slap it in there with little trouble.

If you don't care at all about gaming performance, and you aren't going to worry about highly tweaking the card for fancy video filters, then something like this:
* nvidia GT 730

The Zotac one looks nice and is fanless.

If you do care a bit about gaming, or you might want to do more to optimize video playback in the future, you almost certainly can't go wrong (at 1080p resolutions anyway) with:
* nvidia GTX 960

Even though I'm something of a fanboy, I wouldn't go with an AMD card right now.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2015, 06:23:15 pm »

Glynor and others, any thoughts on this approach?

You could do it in a pinch, but I'd spend the $50-60 and just fix it.  Intel's CPUs are nice, and their mobile GPUs are getting better, but their graphics drivers are clearly junk.

Who knows what bug you hit next?

pluto

• World Citizen
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2015, 06:36:24 pm »

Even though I'm something of a fanboy, I wouldn't go with an AMD card right now.

Care to elucidate?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2015, 07:26:28 pm »

There are a bunch of reasons.  Specific to the cards themselves, AMDs latest aren't very efficient (as previously discussed here).  They're basically fighting the war against nividia right now by (a) throwing voltage at the problem and "overclocking" their chips, and (b) cutting prices.

A isn't really a serious problem in a desktop, because even though they do have higher power draw, it is still an overall tiny part of your monthly electric bill.  But, they do have heat problems, which means they have noise problems, and then silicon running hot all the time also often has lifespan problems (though these are all fairly minor concerns).

The bigger problem is that they're having serious financial issues.  They've had repeated rounds of layoffs.  Scuttlebutt is that morale is terrible, and most of the good engineers have fled for greener pastures.  And, on top of it, the driver teams have taken a huge hit (no new driver from them since, what, January, when they used to release them monthly like clockwork).

Making things worse, of course... They're getting it from both ends.  The "ATI" (graphics) division has basically been keeping AMD afloat the past few years (since Intel fixed their problems and started whomping butt again).  But now nvidia is whomping butt and AMD has to ship inefficient (and therefore big and costly) chips to compete?  And now with the new 960 and 970 from nvidia, they have to drastically cut prices to compete (and those margins are what is making up for the massive losses on the CPU side)?

And, their mobile situation is, of course, even more dire.  They can't get any design wins, and their big "extra" (better onboard graphics) is now seriously being challenged by Intel on the low end and crushed by nvidia on the medium and high ends.

I don't know.  I'm afraid they might be a shell of their even-currently-shell-like-selves a year or two from now.  Possibly gobbled up by someone.

« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2015, 08:36:01 pm »

Which all kind of sucks, because it would be terrible if NVIDIA or Intel did not have any competition.
NVIDIA's prices have already shot up in the last few years since AMD have been unable to compete.
Intel's prices have always been higher, but I feel like they're on an upward trend relative to AMD as well.

And I'm not particularly happy with NVIDIA right now due to the 970's advertised specs being inflated over what they really were.
Philosophically, I prefer AMD's approach to things as well.
Their contributions (Mantle/Vulkan, OpenCL, Adaptive Sync, TressFX) are all "open" while NVIDIA develops proprietary tech to lock customers in. (CUDA, G-Sync, PhysX, GameWorks)

But AMD are really falling behind when it comes to both the CPU and GPU markets.
The upcoming 300 series of GPUs, other than the 390/X, are said to be complete rebrands again with the 380 being a 290, the 370 being a 280 etc.
And their graphics drivers are so far behind NVIDIA.
With NVIDIA, the performance increase from DX11 to DX12 is smaller, while overall performance is higher.
With AMD, there are massive increases in performance, because AMD's DX11 drivers have so much CPU overhead.
Compare the 290X to the GTX680. The 290X is actually the faster card (43 vs 36 FPS) but in DX11 performance is 1/3 that of the 680 due to this driver overhead.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2015, 09:41:32 pm »

Which all kind of sucks

Absolutely.  All great points.

Like I said here and before, I've always pretty much been an AMD (really, ATI) fanboy.  But, it isn't looking too good right now. They could pull one out and turn it around. They do have a few compelling products, but... I don't know. The path to righting the ship keeps narrowing and narrowing.

pluto

• World Citizen
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2015, 04:53:37 am »

Thanks for that fascinating insight. I do agree, though, that it's vital that Intel & Nvidia continue to be faced with viable commercial competition.

Goalline

• Recent member
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2015, 03:14:43 pm »

Yeah, I plan speaking with my son to see if he has a spare Nvidia card that I can bum off him. Not quitting yet. :)

Goalline

• Recent member
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2015, 09:30:37 pm »

Went with a GeForce GT 610 card. Works like a charm on 44.1K files. Thanks for your help, guys. I have noticed that the card does not support 88.2K files or any of its multiples nor any formats greater than 192K. Will the GT 730 support these?

« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2015, 10:24:37 pm »

No, NVIDIA only support 44.1/48/96/192kHz sample rates.
I'd recommend resampling everything else to the highest rate supported by your device.

Goalline

• Recent member
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2015, 10:38:20 pm »

AH WELL, CAN'T WIN THEM ALL. :)

Well, I don't have many files in those formats. The lesser of two evils, I guess.

Goalline

• Recent member
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2015, 10:43:20 pm »

I suppose I can use both graphics cards.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2015, 09:13:29 am »

I'd recommend resampling everything else to the highest rate supported by your device.

+1

Goalline

• Recent member
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2015, 02:22:41 pm »

New thread on topic, perhaps. Graphics card that offers the most sound formats.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up