INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum Organization  (Read 1570 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Forum Organization
« on: March 02, 2015, 03:48:35 pm »

Here is an easy one that is less than an hour, and many people have asked for it:

Reduce the number of pinned threads in this Forum.  ;D

Two ID pinned threads

Two FAQ pinned threads

Two "support" pinned threads

Several other pinned threads that are "anti-FAQ" threads, like the "switching from" thread... the point of a FAQ is to put ALL Frequently Asked Questions in one place, which is exactly the opposite of several threads for individual frequently asked questions.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Forum Organization
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 04:10:15 pm »

I often unpin threads, but there are always new things to add.  I don't think it's excessive.

And we often get people saying that they can't find something that is answered in one of those.  Even though it may say "Read this first".

But I'll look at it tomorrow.

Forum Organization
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 04:19:43 pm »

I agree that things could be clearer.
I think it would be more beneficial to have a single topic pinned to serve as an "index" for all the new feature posts.
Another topic pinned for all the "new to Media Center" style posts.
And finally, a topic pinned for the latest version.
That's it.

Most people don't read pinned topics at all.
Most people especially don't read through a list of 10+ pinned topics.

There are so many topics pinned now that I don't notice at all if there are changes made to that list.
I check the very top to see when a new version has been posted, but I just automatically ignore every other pinned item. It's not even a conscious thing, it's just noise at the top of the page that my brain filters out.

And using a new visual indicator for topics that relate to new features (as shown here) would make them stand out far more than pinning them.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Forum Organization
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 04:28:30 pm »

Remember that most of the people who stop by the forum aren't regular visitors.  They're here to find a solution to a problem, or learn about MC.  Most of them read, but don't write.

Right now, for example, there are 139 people reading.  Only 25 of those are registered.  The rest can't post.

The wiki theoretically could be the sole source of information and we could just link there.  But, again, we are frequently asked questions that are answered there, but people aren't experienced enough to look there.

The forum is a resource for support, but it's also an important way for us to communicate with users.  While you might not find the Id of any interest, it may be perfect for someone else.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: Forum Organization
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 04:57:28 pm »

i could care less about the pins

but this seems like a great thread to (once again) make a request to have a child forum or sub category for "expression" or technical based queries, so it's easier to ask for expression help and also share some of the more advanced stuff that people like MR.C and lately Hilton have been graciously spending time on.  it's sometimes hard to sort through hundreds of noob posts about how to pay or why MC is better than XBMC just so i can get some more advanced information

FWIW i agree with Jim, i come from an industry where most people have zero knowledge and they're more interested in the superficial side...the knowledgeable and/or interested folks will tend to find out what they want regardless
Pages: [1]   Go Up