INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Link Timing  (Read 5188 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
NEW: Link Timing
« on: March 02, 2015, 02:03:27 pm »

Added the ability to specify a playback rate of each zone in a zone link for synchronizing zones that wouldn't previously synchronize due to hardware differences.

Look at right-click Playing Now > Adjust Link Timing for setting the playback rate of each zone.  The rate is a decimal of a percentage to be faster or slower.  That means 0.1 plays 0.1 percent faster.

You should start by looking at whatever zone plays a little slower and set the number to 1.0 to start.  Then play and tune the number by hand depending on if it needs more (1.5, etc.) or less (0.5, etc).

Requires using ZoneLink.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: NEW: Link Timing
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 04:47:24 pm »

Linked Zones previously synchronized the playback only on track changes.  This new feature allows intra-track adjustments.

This feature will be available in 20.0.80 or higher.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 05:51:33 pm »

I just learned about this from another thread and tried it.  This is really interesting!

Previously using two sound cards on my Mac, I had one playing out of sync with the other and it was quite noticeable.  I used Adjust Timing and found there are actually TWO controls:  One for a time delay to offset them in time.  A second for playback speed.

The playback speed change wasn't needed in my setup, as they only seem to be offset.  Once I figured out the offset value they appear to play in nearly exact sync.  As "in sync" as my ear can tell, which is what matters.   I'm guessing that the number is the number of milliseconds difference between the signals.  In my case, it was only 35, but that was really easy to hear.

For zones spread really far apart this could allow you to play with the timing and eliminate echos at certain spots.  It's a very cool degree of flexibility.  Nice job guys!

How can I find out about this stuff when it gets released?  Read *every* release note for the Windows version?  I'm not complaining, but I want to hear about all this cool new stuff!  :)

Thanks,

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 06:43:13 pm »

How can I find out about this stuff when it gets released?  Read *every* release note for the Windows version?  I'm not complaining, but I want to hear about all this cool new stuff!  :)
For now, the best resource is the "New Features" thread on the Windows board.  Not all features make it into all versions, but most do.  It's also linked from the Upgrade topics on our wiki and we link to it in our newsletters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up