INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Tidal Music Service in MC  (Read 15550 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
No Tidal Music Service in MC
« on: April 07, 2015, 08:43:30 am »

I'm sorry to say that we failed to agree on what Tidal would look like in MC.  Their requirements were not acceptable to JRiver.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
Re: No Tidal Music Service in MC
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:43:00 pm »

I'm sorry to hear that Jim.

Tide comes in, then the tide goes out...

majnun70

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 12:48:21 am »

I'm sorry to say that we failed to agree on what Tidal would look like in MC.  Their requirements were not acceptable to JRiver.

Surely a compromise can be reached...

Tidal users are desperate for a better UI (i.e. MC) and a remote control (i.e. JRemote).  Much like many streamer manufacturers (e.g. Auralic, Linn, Aurender, etc) have natively adopted the Tidal library within their respective UI, media manager apps will adopt Tidal too.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 01:09:18 am »

media manager apps will adopt Tidal too.

They will not if Tidal thinks they can control the UI of other developer's applications. I don't know the details, but I don't think the disagreement was minor. I think Tidal was asking for essentially veto power over the look and feel of MC's UI.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 03:15:15 am »

They will not if Tidal thinks they can control the UI of other developer's applications. I don't know the details, but I don't think the disagreement was minor. I think Tidal was asking for essentially veto power over the look and feel of MC's UI.
Tidal's desktop app is really a mess too ... I know nada about what went on behind the scenes of course but if they are like Qobuz, they want MONEY too. Why they are in bed with "hardware" sellers like sonos, popcorn etc.

Its been a long time, before even Mr C worked on ALLMusic scraping, that I thought metadata control or access is where its at.  I would think that all that would be needed (other than a way to insure that people couldn't hack into their service for free of course, is to be able to associate a URL from tidal to a record in the library. Of course not that simple for the backend but, it would cost them next to nothing and gain them clients and I can think of some ancillary revenues they could make too.

I'll only pay for a month (for vacations) then I cancel. If I could associate all my current library I would have fast cloud storage for free. That would be worth it to pay on a monthly basis for lots of people with large collections.

O.T. The downside of this streaming stuff is that people are going to spend a lot less money that would go to individual artists and that bums me out. (I know, I know there are plenty of counter arguments), So Sony gets replaced by the Jay-Z Corp.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 07:39:16 am »

Veto power might be too strong, but they wanted to tell us what the interface should be.

coyi1895

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 08:47:20 am »

I'm not losing sleep over that.  £19.99 a month, no ta.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 09:11:03 am »

Veto power might be too strong, but they wanted to tell us what the interface should be.

It's a little depressing because we had it integrated and we had, to me, a really nice first step.

Then they said "We won't allow that, even as a first step."
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

TCube

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 09:30:39 am »

Cheer up ! First thing Monday morning pick up the phone, call Bandcamp ! 👊

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 11:26:37 am »

It's a little depressing because we had it integrated and we had, to me, a really nice first step.

shouldn't be a surprise, at least it isn't to me.  everything is "proprietary" these days, UI is one of the most important pieces of that modern puzzle it seems.  i also know from years of MC use that the JRiver camp is pretty set on their own version of UI, so the collision was inevitable IMO.  Taking a few bucks out of Jay-z's pocket would've been pretty sweet for you guys though LOL

i think a bandcamp integration would be pretty cool also...

)p(

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 12:18:49 pm »

Is it not possible to built on the performer store? If the sound quality is enhanced to 320 you already have a very nice integrated service. It only needs a good radio service. Maybe using the echo nest api. Something like the smart mix plugin for Logitech media server using the echo nest api http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins/detail.php@nr=1352&kategorie=slim-plugins. That will give jrmc both simple instant artist radio and the like and the ability for much more eleborate ones for advanced users.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 01:24:35 pm »

Sad news.

Won't stop me using JRiver and enjoying it, but nor will it stop me using Tidal despite the aggravation of it's interface. But looking ahead 5 years .. will I be listening to locally stored copies of music I bought on cd years ago?

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 07:04:09 pm »

The new business paradigm is:

Try to control other human beings as much as possible.

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 07:45:34 pm »

Well, someone will probably launch 'TSUNAMI' one day soon for $14.99/mo. and they'll be thrilled to work with a fine outfit like JRiver.

Arindelle

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 04:00:57 am »

that's so strange ... they must have made deals with the hardware people like Qobuz, they can only benefit otherwise.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 09:55:02 am »

The new business paradigm is:

Try to control other human beings as much as possible.

It is Tidal's product. If they didn't like what JRiver did, they didn't like it and are presumably happy to live with the consequences. Why the guys at JRiver didn't find out what constraints there were before embarking on any work is a bit puzzling. Wouldn't it be better to find out what Tidal would be happy with and see if there's some common ground? The squeezebox community, Linn, Meridian and Sonos don't seem to have had much difficulty making a relationship with Tidal to the benefit of their mutual customers.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 10:58:35 am »

Why the guys at JRiver didn't find out what constraints there were before embarking on any work is a bit puzzling. Wouldn't it be better to find out what Tidal would be happy with and see if there's some common ground?

For the record, I believe that JRiver tried to do this, had what they thought was an understanding, and there was some goalpost moving after the fact.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up